Ruling out dietary intolerances

lauren blumenthallauren blumenthal Member Posts: 54
edited 19 May, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
My cat has been going through bouts of vomiting every 10-14 days. The vomiting lasts 2 days and then returns to normal eating after giving her some plain tuna (it's all she'll eat at that point). On a daily basis I fed her the same foods at two meals + 1 snack. When she returns to health, she's very hungry after not eating for 2 days. Her foods: Weruva Tuna & Vegetables mixed with Spot's Stew, Chicken Stew Treats are Greenies, Tuna flavor and these have grains. **What can I do to see if she's intolerant to something I'm feeding her? Should I feed her 1 flavor all day, every day? Is the combination of these two foods too rich?*** Other details: -daily healthy bowels -vomitted hair 1x, rest is clear or green from the greenies Here are links to the foods: http://shop.halopets.com/Canned-Cat-Food/Cat-Canned-Chicken-3-5oz http://www.amazon.com/Weruva-Mediterranean-Harvest-Vegetables-Canned/dp/B000WJPSJM

Comments

• Jo YagerJo Yager ShenandoahMember Posts: 205
    edited 18 May, 2009
    Hi Milla, we ran across your thread and wanted to tell you that their are other kitties on catster that are throwing up due to the greenies. You may want to take those out of the diet for the first step to rule out intolerances. You should also stroll around catster for more info on what the symptoms are. Sounds very similar! Hope you get to eating better soon! :-k
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 18 May, 2009
    I second that, get rid of the Greenies, and maybe try some food that does not have vegies in it.
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 19 May, 2009
    Milla, in addition to the suggestions others have already offered, I would not be feeding tuna (or foods that contain tuna or other fish) more than once a week. Too much fish has been linked to FUS/FLUTD, and in addition, with tuna (and salmon) there is the issue of too much mercury.
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited 19 May, 2009
    Ditto the Greenies. If that doesn\'t work you will need to try an elimination diet to find the source of the allergies. Start with a single protein, preferably one they have not had before, and a single carb source for six weeks. (Cats don\'t need carbs, but most foods have them and many are allergenic.) If you can and are willing, prepare the food yourself - for example, boil some chicken and brown rice. That gives you absolute control over the ingredients. If that food goes over well, you can add another protein, etc. until you discover the source of the problem. No treats, no nuttin\' until the trial is over. If you have to go with commercial foods, use a super-premium like Wellness, Evo or Solid Gold, preferably grain-free. Many pet foods contain more protein sources than are listed due to a very strange law. They could use a mix of 40% lamb, 30% chicken and 30% roadkill (seriously), and list it all as lamb because it is the largest percentage. It doesn\'t even have to be over 50% lamb, just the largest percentage of all the meats in there. Needless to say, using a food like this for allergy isolation is worthless, not to mention very unhealthy for any cat. Frodo insists on eating only commercial food, but fortunately likes Evo 95%, which is 95% meat and grain-free. So-called low-allergen or anti-allergy commercial foods are often just as junky as regular food, so I\'d steer clear. And stay well away from Iams and Science Diet - they\'re not worth their weight in mud no matter how many vets sell them.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 19 May, 2009
    Tuna that is used in cat food is not the same as what us humans would eat, it is the red part of the fish, the eyes, fins, etc, these parts also contain more of the mercury levels. Tuna eaten by humans is the white part of the fish mostly. *I will only feed my cats salmon once a week, they do not get Tuna at all, here are some of the reasons why I dont feed Tuna (on a daily basis.) -Makes for a picky cat ( cats need a variety in diet) -Contains Mercury -high in mineral salts (this is what is bad for the cats urine) -high in polyunsaturated fats, which cats cannot metabolize. -Tuna in vegie oil takes vitamin E away from the cat