Premium Low-Cal Foods?

Sara KangSara Kang Member Posts: 403
edited 26 May, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
Hi Catsters, Meowmy says I'm a tad chubby, even though I'm eating t/same portions as my brofur, Milo. I weigh at least 2-3 lbs more than him, and she guesses its b/c I take some of his food. Can anyone recommend a good l0w calorie diet food? Is this even advisable, or should Meowm just reduce my portions? Its hard to monitor as Milo takes an eternity to finish his meal (he LICKS canned food and hates human food, whereas I have licked Meowm's steak when she wasn't looking). We are both on Evo dry & canned. We love it! Thanks, Tabifa and FamBam

Comments

• ellen sklarellen sklar ExtonMember Posts: 256
    edited 13 May, 2009
    My Mom feeds me and Molly Wellness Healthy Weight and I've lost a good bit of weight on it.
  • Chrysee HinshawChrysee Hinshaw Member Posts: 474
    edited 13 May, 2009
    I would reduce portions rather than try a "weight control" food. Evo is a good food, but it is high in calories. Just try feeding less.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 13 May, 2009
    I would feed less, do not switch to so called "diet foods" by your pictures you are not overweight, but maybe they are not updated?? Here is a link you can read. http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm
  • Aaron LeeAaron Lee SeattleMember Posts: 251
    edited 13 May, 2009
    I agree with these guys, more controlled feeding is a good way to go first. I know many people who also feed senior formulas as a weight control alternative, they tend to be lighter, but quite as "diet". =;
  • Kerri ZimmermanKerri Zimmerman WinnipegMember Posts: 448
    edited 13 May, 2009
    How much are the portions you are feeding now? Has the vet said your kitty is overweight? How much does she weigh? Tabitha is 11 months old and still technically a kitten so she does require more food then if she was an adult. She also may just be having a growing spirt b/c in the photos she looks pretty normal sized for her age. Please let us know how much you are feeding them - portion control may be all that is required. One thing to consider if you feel she may be eating her brothers food is feed them in seperate rooms. :?
  • Michelle MayoMichelle Mayo New LiakeardMember Posts: 276
    edited 15 May, 2009
    Hi. I was having trouble with being overweight and all (daddy called me big boned). we tried just lowering the amount of food but that didn't seem to work. after trying a bunch of different foods the one we all like is NOW Grain Free Weight Control. It is turkey and Duck. I have only been on it for about a week but my energy level is higher and mommy swears I've lost a bit. We really love it so I definetly suggest it.
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 15 May, 2009
    Eliminate the dry food, and you\'ll likely see some natural weight loss just from that.
  • Sara KangSara Kang Member Posts: 403
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Thanks Catsters! I can always count on you lovelies for wonderful tips and pointers:) Tabitha and Milo get a 1/4 cup of dry EVO in the morning, then about 2.5 tablespoons of canned EVO at night. She only steals a little bit of food from him. On occasion, I do give her and my dogs some cooked egg yolk, 2 pieces of cooked meat (no seasoning), but not enough to make a dent. She's officially a year old now, and according to this chart (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0+1759&aid=660) she's overweight! hehe