Science Diet c/d

Alex KondosAlex Kondos TulsaMember Posts: 600
edited 15 May, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
My oldest cat had the surgery about 10 years ago, and the vet put him on Science Diet c/d to prevent the reoccurance of crystals. So the whole crew has been on it ever since. Well, they are free fed Science Diet c/d kibble, and the 4 kitties split a cat of wet (Wellness, usually) every evening. We would like to switch to more wet food (and a little bit of raw), and wean them off of being free fed kibble every day. I have no concerns about the younger ones, but does my oldest absolutely have to stay on his prescription Science Diet? I hate feeding a food that is so full of things like corn gluten meal. Anyone else had this experience? Any tips for weaning off kibble? Good raw foods to start with? Thanks!

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 14 May, 2009
    Hi Haven Shadow had crystals over 2 years ago, and has been crystal free ever since. I gave her the meds then switched her to a high protein grain free wet diet, I was not giving the prescription diet as I knew that this food is just not appropriate for a obligate carnivore. If you feed this food (prescription)for a long period it is only going to cause other problems in the long run. I suggest that you switch to an all wet diet, for all cats. Also feeding Raw is good too, you can go to the raw forums on here and they can help you out there. Some good brands are Wellness grain free, Evo, and Natures Variety If you buy the bigger cans and buy them by the case it usually works out to be cheaper, I get a discount when I buy 12. Here is a link you can read, it talks about crystals aswell. http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 15 May, 2009
    Hi Haven. This website has good tips about switching cats from kibble to canned/raw - http://www.catinfo.org/.