It Seems Very Quiet On Catster Compared To A Year Ago

Humphrey HauntedHumphrey Haunted CaliforniaMember Posts: 10,753
edited 9 July, 2009 in What I Love About Catster
I was wondering if anyone else thought so too? We love Catster but we wonder if a lot of the pawrents are on Facebook now, or have lost interest, or we don't really know what? :? Some of our groups used to be so active and now they're not so much - anyway, I hope efurryone has a happy Spring weekend. I was just curious to see what some other kitties thought. :-h

Comments

• MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2009
    :)) The human said the very same thing to the other human just before she clicked on the Forums to see your post, hee hee she laughed. So it\'s not just us, that is thinking that too:))
  • Audrey McAnarneyAudrey McAnarney Atlanta, GeorgiaMember Posts: 1,982
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Although I am not one of the more social kitties on the site, I agree that Catster has been alot quieter. Mom has a FB account, and judging by the amount of activity going through her newsfeed every-night, she thinks most of our friends have set up shop overthere, especially for the applications & quizzes - so I do know that they are alive at least. :)) Personally, I enjoy Catster\'s format as it is now, but if it was to at least model some things off FB such as statuses & cute little apps. more people would be poking around, like old times. I think it\'s just how most are willing to spend their time and FB is obviously more convenient for a quick chat.
  • Nicole FoxNicole Fox PawsvilleMember Posts: 3,777
    edited 26 May, 2009
    We think so too :(
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Well, I was not here last year; so I don't know what it was like ;) I have been hangin around a lot, I think its important for new people to see a little activity or they just move on :( I am on FB also, but would much prefer to be here!! Purrs
  • Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Roger, our meowmy agrees. We\'ve noticed lately that it\'s very quiet everywhere on Catster . . . too quiet! Everyone else may be on FB but we prefer Catster and the Catster format. We don\'t like all the FB apps & quizzes and find them annoying. :D How can we liven things up? %:D%
  • Humphrey HauntedHumphrey Haunted CaliforniaMember Posts: 10,753
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Mommy and I do not like FB at all - it's not fun fur us at all and the graphics are not pretty, the quizes are full of misspellings and gramatical mistakes, it's really, really not our cup of tea at all but we suspect that it's the reason Catster is a lot quieter - FB is not really for cats so why would we want to be on it? :? We are sad that so many of our friends are not around very much and our groups that we've worked so hard to make fun are so quiet. Catster is totally unique as is Dogster bc it is for animals! =; We think those apps are not safe - and who knows where all your info is going? Catster is really a lot more fun and a lot safer for the computers. We do need to liven things up ;P and I am hoping that once the FB craze dies down - and we think it will in time - that things pick up here a bit.
  • Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Mom spends a lot of time on FB but likes it here better too. We love catster : ) It makes me sad to think catster isn't as active.
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Mommy does not like FB bc she makes a lot of animations and arty stuff online and FB will not accept those - we like to be creative and you are not able to be there s0 :? we have no interest. Yes it makes us sad too - also Twitter is popular now too. I wonder what we can do to liven things up here? We need to put on our thinking caps - oh I did notice Catster now has a new feature where we can comment to friends diaries. =;
    edited 26 May, 2009
    They dun allows cats on FB other than that silly Catbook thing - puhleeze - not fun at all compared to here! %:D% I iz Roger's brother btw. I do hash a Twitter page but I just pops on and off - takes no time and Catster is better! When we was new so many people welcomed ush here it wash pawshome - we love the way we can fix up our pages too. Catster is pawshome! :D %:D%
  • Alice BillmanAlice Billman Member Posts: 2,617
    edited 26 May, 2009
    I'm glad I'm not imagining things. Been think for a long time things just aren't the same. I must admit we haven't been around as much. I don't think it is FB causing the problem either. The economy has lots of humans stressed and that in turn can cause them to do less fun things even if it's free!
    edited 26 May, 2009
    I just think we need to meow about it and get it out in the open and see if we can perk things up a bit. We think that it's good to play on these sites when times are hard bc it is a nice escape you know? %:D% And we animals bring so much joy to our humans I think we deserves our own site. FB is drawing lots of the humans away from here and we don't purrsonally find it fun there at all. We keep posting in our groups and trying to keep things upbeat. :? |/h/| We've gotten FB invites from pawrents on here and then we don't see them on here much anymore and all of Mommy's friends seem to be on there all the time so we were just thinking that was a large part of it.
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Yes. I think the economy is having an impact. Some have had to downgrade to dialup and that is so slow. Some had to get rid of the internet all together. Others have lost their homes, so no internet. In about 90% to 92% of the groups our family is in have had no activity in about a year, and even the group admins (who are still somewhat active on catster) have not cast a shadow in their own groups over a year. Absent admins do have an impact on group members not coming to a group anymore or leaving the group.
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Can Catster hold more competitions for various things. So cats can win Zealies or maybe Catster plus for a year:? just a thought. With money being tight and all, I thought it might keep the interest up:-k
    edited 26 May, 2009
    I have a lot of catster moms as my facebook friends. There are things I like better about facebook but I really love catster. It would be cool if you could make photo comments and stuff. Mom likes commenting on all of her pals. I also wish we could have more photo albums here. Mom has 43 albums on FB and about 32 of them are of us MOL Mom hardly ever gets messages from her pals anymore either. Another thing mom really hates is how you can give out mass zealies at one time that all say the same thing. Its not a personal and not as exciting. I mean we are still thankful that we are included but it means so much more when a cat goes right to your page and says something meant just for you. Well thats it for now I guess.
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2009
    We notice that it is quieter on Catster too. Mommie is on Facebook quite a bit, but she tries to give us our time on Catster too. I agree that maybe some kind of contest or quizzes where you can win Zealies or Catster plus would be fun and maybe would bring more cats on Catster. Or maybe occasionally having a free rosie? (FB has apps that you can send your friends without it costing anything. I don\'t suggest we do that all the time, but maybe having a free rosie for like one week a month or something like that?)
  • Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 26 May, 2009
    More competitions with prizes is a great idea -- I know I'd like it. :D The free apps feature on FB is a very popular but personally I wouldn't like it on Catster. Downloading all those apps to give and receive gifts is not only irritating, it's also not safe for our computers. Having free rosies is a terrific idea! In these difficult economic times many families can't afford zealies. They'd be able to give gifts and wouldn't feel left out. Having space for extra photo albums is at the top of my list! I'd love to leave comments on photos and graphics on kitties' pages but would like it best if it's set up like the diary comments feature so comments don't clutter up our pages. I often see things on our friends' pages I'd like to comment on but hesitate to send a pawmail saying *I love your new photo-- have a great day!* (although maybe I should :))) Don't know how difficult it would be to add these features or whether it's do-able at all but would like HQ to consider them.
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Mittens I totally agree that the comments shouldn't clutter up our pages. Maybe just below the picture it could say 3 comments and you could click on that to see them. I know there are many pictures I would like to comment on too. Free Rosettes would be awesome too : ) I think it would make a lot of new kitties who dont have catster plus a lot more interested in staying active on catster.
  • Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 26 May, 2009
    I agree that things have gotten much more quiet on Catster in the last year. Out of all of my groups I have two that are reasonably active. I think the economy is one reason. Facebook is another, perhaps because the humans can talk for themselves rather than for us kitties? But my mom is also trying to finish graduate school and has been pretty much slammed with that. We are on here and Facebook quite often, and we enjoy both. Mom loves catching up with her college friends :)
  • martha ciatteimartha ciattei Member Posts: 3,158
    edited 26 May, 2009
    We've noticed and have been saying this for months. I DO think both FB and the economy have taken its toll. It just seems like when we log on we find that cats have passed away, so it just seems sad to us. We're on FB too, but it's stupid. I went mainly b/c many catster moms went there. But now it's gotten really interesting b/c we learn all kinds of interesting things about others, like what kind of toilet paper they like. :))! Seriously, for us it's a time suck. I found out one Catster friend had her cats deleted by someone and that sort of animosity scares us. I guess when you get to know some PEOPLE too well, you wish you only knew the cats...
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 26 May, 2009
    One thing that would make catster a greater place is file storage for our accounts. The files that we decorate our pages with. I am not quite sure how the videos are set up with our account. I do know videos take a lot of space and bandwidth. Being able to use this space for any combination of file types (videos, music, banners, frames, CSS, etc) up to the max we already have alloted to the videos would be pawsome. Our page stuff would all be in one place instead of sprawled out all over the internet. We do need something to liven up Catster that can be implemented quickly, but I don\'t have any ideas at this time.
  • Heidi HessenHeidi Hessen Acworth/KennesawMember Posts: 975
    edited 26 May, 2009
    I think that all of you are right .... it does seem a bit quieter on the forums, and also in some of the groups. and peeples are a bit stressed about no jobbies (or losing the jobby they HAVE). mom just lost hers and she has turned to catster to help her relax, and to play a little and to feel like herself again. peeples underestimate play...if its good for them when they are little why not when they are all growed up??? :? we don\'t know about this facebook thing....mom refuses to go there...she doesn\'t want to be part of a fad...she loves it here (and so do we!). mom has made some really good furriends here that she would never have met otherwise. even tho they live far far away (even across the big blu sea!) she feels very close to them. she can feel the good thinks over all the miles between them. and we ARE making new furriends here too. i think we just need to hunker down, and make the newbies feel as welcomed as we all were when we first came. make the extra effort to include efurryone! i remember when we started here we felt a bit lost...but then found the purrfect group and immediately felt the love. we found too that some groups were not for us. since then we pick around the forums, chiming in where we feel and passing over others, sharing our love with other kitties thru rosies, or little notes really for THEM. Taking the time to connect on a more personal level. The key is taking the TIME to really CARE. That\'s what this place is about...caring! We love catster....we do NOT want catster NOT to be!! No please!!!!! I shouldn\'t even have said that! :-# As i said, we LOVE CATSTER!!!!!!!!!! Purrs and purrs to all of you!!!
    edited 26 May, 2009
    One thing that really keeps mom from updating her catster page now is the whole photo thing. Mom always has our book filled up to 100 photos so when she come to add more there is not enough room. Then she has to delete them one by one to make room for more. Mom wishes they would make it so you can delete more then one photo at a time. Its so time consuming for her especially since her computer runs slow on catster anyway. Oh and if there was a way to add more then one photo at a time that would be cool too. Oh AND I always thought it would be cool if we had a place where new cats could go to learn how to put backgrounds and stuff on. Maybe even a website with catster background codes already made up kinda like myspace does. Not everyone has the time to learn how to make a background. I think it makes it a lot more fun too. Anyway Im sorry I turned this into a what catster could improve thread its just I am trying to think of ways to keep cats coming back and being active. I love it here and I want catster to be like it used to be
  • edited 26 May, 2009
    I like the part about the backgrounds ready made to use Toby. I like all of what any of you said. We were big on inviting a lot...but the site has been so slow....that we too have been shying away from daily activity on the site. New cats do need to feel welcome.....but it's rare to see any kitty's sending invites to new members when we are out inviting. Our furcousins invite the newbies sometimes too.....but not as often as they used to. We have not been too active in the forums and groups....just because we never have been. Cause as I said....we enjoyed the iviting newbies. We all like different things though....I am with all of you about wanting to see Catster as busy as it was a year ago. Let us know if we can help do something to bring familiar faces back again!
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Karma We used to invite a lot too but catster has seemed so much slower on our computer. I dont know if its just us or if its a catster thing. We try to invite but then the page freezes or it takes forever to reload. It really stinks cause thats one of our favorite things to do too
    edited 26 May, 2009
    I think the comments to photos would be a great addition to Catster! And there is a group here callled Pawsome Pages where you can get loads of help on fixing your pages up - someone is almost always there to help you and they get back to you quickly. When we were new we were lost bc we came over from myspace, which has totally different codes on how to decorate your pages - also we had no idea how to add music and so on - we learned how to do all that from helpful kitties and doggies and now we go wild with our pages. There is NO artistic aspect to Facebook - the main reason Mommy can't stand it there - and while on MS there is a lot of artistic options, we hated it there because there were no guidelines and it seemed to be constant sadness in the cat/dog part of MS. Here you can more or less choose what you read and participate in and so on. We have a weekly contest in a private group here where we give away rosettes for the best caption to a funny photo we post every week - and even there now there is hardly any participation. We work hard in the groups we administrate in, yet they've becoming so quiet we are getting discouraged. It might be good for us to list the things we think would help to make Catster more fun for everyone and send it to HQ? Oh and we dont know about the mass zealie thing bc we still are getting individual rosettes from people. Though very rarely compared to last year. There are LOTS of animals on Twitter and it's very very active all day long - like it used to be here. There are even contests and pawtees and so on - so we know people are still very active online - just not here so much. We would like to welcome newbies too - is there some way to see who is new to Catster? I rememeber how nice it felt to be welcomed when we were new! :c9
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Sorry what I meant by mass rosettes is that a lot of cats choose a list of cats to send the same exact message to. You can click on a bunch of cats and then make one rosette that says Happy Easter and then all of those cats get the same one. Its not very personal. I like visiting the pages of the cats I give rosettes too thats all. I know about Pawsome pages too. I really enjoy that group and I love making my backgrounds. I just dont think every catster member has the time or patients to learn it. So I thought having pre maid backgrounds would be a good idea for those who dont want to take the time to do it.
    edited 26 May, 2009
    The ready made backgrounds thing ish a great idea btw! =; I jusht went and looked in the three groups we adminstrate in and no posts at all all day - I dun knows what to do, I really doesn't. :? When we furst joined here we could only have I think 20 photos - so they improved the photos thing a lot - having a 100 wash a great improvement we thought so we ish fine with that. I jusht wonders if hoomans ish short of about trends and fads and they move on to the next thing online or shomething? I dun knows? But I do know that Catster/Dogster ish designed fur US - not fur hoomans and that ish one of the best things about it! I loves that. If we could all do our own typing it would be great! |/h/|
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Oh yes I see what you mean about the mass rosette thing Toby - no I would not care to do that either. :-k For some people they might see that as an improvement tho - Catster was probably trying to give people more options. Not one we care for - we also like the personal aspect of going to your friends page. I think having status updates might be a fun thing they could add. The most fun thing here awhile ago was the breed contest where you could win zealies for guessing which breeds were which in a multiple choice quiz - Mommy did it on Dogster tho bc she knows more about dog breeds than cats and we won lots of zealies so we could give them away in our group contests. I also like the idea of some free zealies from time to time! =; I think it's fine to talk about ideas we might have to make Catster more fun - it's because we like it here and want it to be successful and are trying to be helpful - not critical!
  • Mary Anne WilsonMary Anne Wilson CamasMember Posts: 1,105
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Well, I think it has been very quiet on Catster even just since Christmas! And as long as long as we are airing opinions, here is MINE: Bipeds work really hard to make critically acclaimed movies of us and they are tucked away under the MORE button. So we either have to let our friends know that we have a movie, which feels a lot like BLOWING our own HORN, or we just let our movies sit in obscurity. Catster used to feature movies by Catster members. Then they started doing that Snuzzy thing and pulling video from all over the place. Lately we have not even seen any mention of video. And by the way, what IS Snuzzy? That has always baffled my Big-Boy Brain. Your friend, Kingsley
    edited 26 May, 2009
    That ish a good point Kingsley - we dun hash any movies of ourselves so we weren't that aware of thish but it sounds like the old way wash much better! I hash no idea what a Snuzzy ish either? :? We should let HQ know about these ideas of ours, I finks! =;