It Seems Very Quiet On Catster Compared To A Year Ago

Comments

• Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Yes, I agree, let's send our iideas to HQ. They are really good about listening and accepting ideas. To the one cat that asked about newcomers.... there is a way to find the recently added kitties.... Go to the top left of the screen to See the Cats and click You will see a list of different strolls you can take.... choose the one that says Recently Added... Then just keep clicking next...
  • Humphrey HauntedHumphrey Haunted CaliforniaMember Posts: 10,753
    edited 26 May, 2009
    I was just meowing with one of my cat friends here and he was saying how all of us who want to play and have fun should all be in the same groups - we have so many who join and then never even say hello - you can only be in so many groups and do so many things so if we were all together that would be good, I think. Thanks about the new kitties suggestion! =;
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 26 May, 2009
    All great ideas I think! Toby, you are absolutely right about the ready made backgrounds; I have never been able to sink in the time to figure it out... and I do belong to Pawsome Pages. :?
  • Nuk AnukNuk Anuk Member Posts: 846
    edited 26 May, 2009
    We too would rather be here than FB. Quizzes are more annoying to us than they are useful. Even when Catster has one on their main page, maybe 1 time in 50, we take the quiz. Status is (to us) unnecessary. We don't want to download apps or a Catster version of 'Yoville.' We are quite content with Catsters 'Corral Pal Updates & Feline Friend Updates' Twittering is completely impossible, there is no way that any of my family could limit himself/herself to 140 character messages. I indulge my *individuality* and my *uber-egoism* in my Catster diary and personal page. A friend recently asked us "Are you on FB?" I answered "No, we are not on any *social networking* sites." Our friend laughed and reminded me that "*Catster is a *social networking* site" Why yes it is... We still didn't join FB. Our thinking is - if I spread the Nuk around everwhere, there will be alot less to go around.
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Pawsome Pages would LOVE to have premade pages for you furs to copy and paste in your \'Fun Stuff\". Several members in the group really enjoy making pages, and code them out pretty fast, and would love to share their designs. Problem is, the designs need hosted and you need storage space and bandwidth. We admins of Pawsome Pages lack the funds to do this for you furs. If we had the funds, Pawsome Pages would of had this option for it\'s members 20 months ago.
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Even so Icebox, Pawsome Pages is a great group and our pages look nice thanks to the help we've gotten there - we are very appreciative! =; I agree that the more sites one is on, the less special and enjoyable it is not to mention confusing - and you get burned out too, I think. When we came over here from myspace we didn't go back - our friends there wanted us to I think, but we so much preferred it here, we didn't. We loved and still love the fact that Catster is just for *us* and not humans. There is a lot to see and do here and sometimes we just like to take strolls and see other cute kitties and give them paws and so on - or watch the videos too - those are great. We used to make a lot of pictures for people too when we were new - we would put them in hats and ties and so on - not sure but I think there are enough of us who enjoy it here to make things more fun again! Hmmmm Icebox - if anyone in Pawsome Pages has Photobucket Pro they could theoritically do the image hosting I think? Maybe I am wrong about that but we have it and supposedly it is unlimited band width - but it would be a lot of bandwidth indeed if a lot of people were using it - not sure? :-k
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Thanks for explaining that Icebox! =;
  • louise nichollouise nichol Member Posts: 74,667
    edited 26 May, 2009
    A lot of Dogster's have left for Facebbok too :? Mum doesn't want one as Dogster takes up to much of her time :))
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Missy ! :q
  • Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 26 May, 2009
    =; on everyone\'s ideas! We all need to write to Catster HQ and tell them what we\'d like to have on Catster. Mommy also lost her job several months ago and we come on Catster to chat with friends, have fun and try to forget our worries. What can we do ourselves, right now, to shake things up? Any ideas? Also, how can we be more welcoming to new kitties? We used to go on stroll and send friends requests to the newest joins but so many just disappear after a few days. We\'d like a way to meet kitties who are new, looking for friends and want to be active. They\'re often confused about how to get around Catster. They don\'t know which groups are the best groups to join (there are TOO many groups!) They don\'t know how to decorate their pages and don\'t know about Pawsome Pages. Some are just shy. They give up after a few weeks. How can we make these kitties feel welcome and comfortable without overwhelming them? :D We were (and still are!) very shy. A few weeks after we joined, we started coming here less and less and almost stopped completely. Every group we joined was inactive or dead. We strolled and looked at kitties\' pages and sent friends requests and even pawmailed some kitties but it was lonely. Just as we were about to give up, we were invited to a few groups which are active and then very fortunate to meet some very nice kitties who befriended us.
  • Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Another thing . . . if kitties\' mommies and daddies want to chat between themselves about things other than kitties, you can do that and many do. I do! There\'s a thread in the forums that\'s been active for about a year. The mommies talk about anything and everything. You could join them or start your own thread in that forum. There\'s pawmail. A lot of groups have chat threads in their forums where you can talk about anything you want. And there are specialty groups on Catster for those interested in pen pals, politics, religion, crafts, selling their crafts, cooking, movies & tv shows, learning Gimp, decorating pages, etc. etc. You can join and let your parents do all the talking! ;)
  • Lyn YeomansLyn Yeomans Member Posts: 5,691
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Re FB, me as had lots of invites to join friends der ( mum has ) but cos Mum just hasnt got the spare brain cell to "understand " FB she wont join.Plus, Catster takes up All mum n mine time. We stays up til 3 am jus to talk to awa Furfriends in US an Auss,NZ etc.Me, fer one lives in Catsterland. (fink Mum dus too !! ) Me is gunna ask in de Forums fer Help from Catsterlanders in plannin Mums visit to US.Mum wants to visit MANY Catstermums an needs ideas, info etc to help plan dis trip, Visitin all corners an sum middle places ..Gulp.Maybe yu guys cud giv me mum advice etc ? Wer better to ask about travelin across USA dan on Catster? Smiles Alfie
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Good idea about been able to comment on photos Mittens. I do sometimes p-mail cats when I think their photos are exceptional, though I should do it more often. I wonder ,if there could be a star system set up and the cat with the most stars for the week gets a spot in the Catster news letter? Along with a Catster HQ pick? Maybe also a Video of the week for the front page? About, new cats coming to Catster is there a help area to the left of the screen? Maybe there should be one that is highlighted 'needing help' So it's easy to find. There are many cats out there that aren't that up with computers that would love to get into it. It could have tips, tricks links to groups like Pawsome Pages, The Welcome Wagon, etc. Didn't Nifferkitty have a website for Catster codes and backgrounds? Maybe groups that have been inactive for 6 months or more, maybe they could be mothballed. Separated from the rest. So cats know which groups to join. AND it'll be nice if we can delete groups from our list too. As we have tried many times but the groups keep coming back. It would be nice it would work as I don't want to bother Catster HQ over a silly thing like removing groups for me. I have to say I do like the things Catster is doing to improve the site, as I have seen a few things come on line, like the recent comment on the diary entries, The friends updates (which is definately my favourtie), That's my thoughts : ) Hope everyfurs having a pawsome day purrs Raza :^:
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Alfie, are you thinking of coming to NZ?:-h Tyson and I live 45 mins from each other
  • BruceTheBossBruceTheBoss Winslow, BuckinghamshireMember Posts: 37,079 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Mum has been on FB a couple of years now, and Catster nearing 4 years. Catster will always be our Number One :D, and anyway, Mum is good at multitasking :)) and we are as active on here as we have been from day one. We too would like some of the features here that you see over on FB, we would love to have the option of leaving a status and for cats to be able to comment on it, and to comment on each others pics would be fun too. They can create as many social networking sites as they like, this wonderful place will always be the best ~a~

Bruce The Boss

edited 26 May, 2009
    I see Vanessa has made a fun competition in her diary and BOY!!! what a pawsome prize she's giving away. http://www.catster.com/cats/338811
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Hi kitties! :-h Raza, I'll second you on all of your great ideas! Video of the day or video of the week would be great! Since new videos don't show up in status updates, we usually miss them unless a kitty talks about the video in their diary. It also makes lots of sense to do something about inactive groups after a certain period of time. There are a lot of groups on Catster and it might make it difficult for new kitties to find an active group that works well for them. Another idea is to somehow combine buying a package of zealies and giving a friend a Plus subscription. For instance, if you bought the $25 zealie package you could also give a Plus membership to a friend or vice versa? That way a kitty would have more zealies to play with and give gifts to friends AND more Catsters would get the benefits of Plus (like the photo captions and 100 photos!). Although that might be too costly for HQs? Just an idea... Mom is on FB but she just checks it once or twice a week. Catster is our family's favorite place to be!
  • Heidi HessenHeidi Hessen Acworth/KennesawMember Posts: 975
    edited 26 May, 2009
    hi Raza! :-h i'm with you and lucy....especially about mothballing old groups with no activity for a set period of time. and i DO think that 6 months is plenty of time. my :q sisfur lucy belongs to a group for basenji mixes - she was soooo excited about it. but then only a couple furs efurr interacted. it was not the admin Misha's fault either! it was actually really sad when you hold a contest and only one fur shows up.:(( i am wondering if there's a way that the giving some paw can be an option on efurrybody's page when you just go there? mom visits kitties sometimes where she really really wants to let them know how great she thinks their page is, and their story and such. sometimes she will do the giving of paw and find its for a kitty that hasn't been active in a very very long time....how does mom say... it feels like dropping a stone down a very very deep hole and hopinng you hear it hit the bottom. what is worse is she sent a nice pawmail and pal request and even gave her first star to a pup who could be my :q sisfurs twin brofur and never never got even a reply of any sort...kinda depressed her, so she then came to catster and found it much better. the point of all this babbling is how many other furs have or had similar things happen??? oh....and by the way, mom doesn't go to dogster hardly at all anymore. she says the peeples in the forums are so "holier then thou" in alot of their responses. she feels like she just peed her pants in front of the prinncipal!! :))! well...for us we are going to make an extra effort to get on each and efurry day (easier now since mom is still without jobbie and really really needs this to chill and feel good about herself)., and we are going to reach out to the new furrs, and really try to keep stuff goinng with the furriends we have made. we want all the moms and dads to feel the love here...because there IS love here! lots and lots!!! we all have hearts full of kitties!!!
  • Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Icebox- Yeah that stinks about the premaid backgrounds thing. I really think its something catster should look into. They must have some funding and I think it would help a lot of cats want to stick around. I know that if I didnt know how or have the time to make backgrounds I wouldn't have as much fun on here. It just makes your catster page so much more fun. Each cat having its own personality on the page you know? I love going to my friends pages and seeing what they have done. I like the ideas about the groups too. Maybe they could have a page of the most active groups somewhere. I would like to be a member of a group where cats are posting every day. I would also love the update like FB has and being able to comment. Lots of good ideas : )
    edited 26 May, 2009
    I tried to delete a group I helped someone start and noone ever really got it going - I did the background and so on for it - and it's been dead for a year - and I could not figure out how to delete it? I need to ask HQ how we can delete groups that are not active - I am an administrator and should be able to do that? :? Purrsonally my Mom doesn't want to talk about human things too much and we're just here as cats to talk about ourselves :D Because we are so interesting! MOL! But it is nice to have that option if people want to. It would be nice if the groups that are inactive could be pulled - that would make it a lot less confusing to new kitties and also make Catster a lot cleaner and neater and easier to navigate. We feel sometimes like we are working so hard to keep a couple of the groups we started going and people are still coming to them but nothing like last year - it gets discouraging you know? :? :-/ I'm glad this thread is full of some really good ideas - we should have our pawrents write to HQ I think. =;
  • Kathy MillerKathy Miller O'FallonMember Posts: 5,315 ✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2009
    :-h Hi everykitty. I just stumbled on this thread. We do FB and Catster. One thing we've noticed about Catster is that well, some of our friends go to the Rainbow Bridge. We may not know their brothers and sisters as well and their moms find it hard to participate as our original friend OR some don't participate much at all after that happens. Also while it's great that Catster is a very caring community it seems like sometimes all we see are the notices about who is sick or went to the bridge. So it gets a little depressing. I like the ideas about more contests and games or anything that makes it a fun place.
    edited 26 May, 2009
    We left myspace a couple of years ago bc it was constantly about death and sad things - very very toxic, no fun, just constant grieving and we lost over 25 friends in one year there - once we came here we noticed that it was a lot more cheerful and tho we have lost a couple of friends that is all and we are very glad of it. Maybe we should make a little list of groups that are upbeat and fun that we know are active? :D Just an idea.
  • Nina lymanNina lyman OLALLAMember Posts: 8,874
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Oh I wish there was just one big group and all the furrs who actually like to play would play...it makes me so sad that hardly anyone plays anymore...I don't like facebook..i can't even figure out how to find people...it is so hard to use...and so unattractive
    edited 26 May, 2009
    I like your idea Simon! =; I wash thinking maybe we should connect the groups that are fun and still have some active members - we have been thinking a lot lately on what to do to bring back the fun! %:D% :-$
    edited 26 May, 2009
    I just noticed two kittehs signed my guestbook today which was really nice - noone has done that in ages. :D Little things like that make me feel good you know? %:D% If anyone has a guestbook my brother and I would love to sign it. =;
  • Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 26 May, 2009
    I try to focus on the fun and happy in my groups... I agree that some groups become rather draining emotionally. I have to wonder too if some people are turned off by fundraisers as well? Roger and Humphrey, your groups are awesome! We just dont have the time since mom is back in classes..... 7 months and counting... MOL
    edited 26 May, 2009
    We always focus on the fun and happy too - we don't have any fund raisers or anything like that in our groups. Ahhhh we wish we saw more of you Cleopatra - you and your family are so nice! :-h
  • Jeanette CereskeJeanette Cereske San FranciscoMember Posts: 16,444
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Interesting topic and posts. Here is our two cents: First and foremost - We Love Catster! Mom is on Catster every day. She works full-time Mon - Fri (leaves the house at 8 am and gets home at 6 pm) so through the week she doesn\'t have the time she does on weekends. But she always \"checks in\" every day. Mom is also on Facebook but not whole hog. She posts her status and photos and does comments but does not do any of the other stuff like sending drinks or flowers etc. She just doesn\'t have the time. But she does like that it connects her to her friends as a person and not a cat. I think it\'s important for any social networking site to have a variety of features because different people like different things. Mom really likes the ability to send out mass rosies with one message - when we get an honor or have a birthday, it\'s the only way she can respond to all of the good wishes in a timely manner. If she went to each page individually and wrote a personalized message it would take her months to do that given her full-time work schedule. So it\'s a nice option to have and we are not the least bit offfended when other kits do the same. Groups just take up so much time. I think the success of any group is way too dependent on the administrators. Everyone expects so much and when an Admin asks for someone else to co-admin it\'s rare for anyone to step up. We became co-admins of a group of 1000 and now we are basically it! Mom gets up at 6 am every day just to take care of that group and it doesn\'t leave much time for anything else in the morning. I do think there are way too many groups but I don\'t know what they could do about it. We love the new feature of commenting in diaries - we hope that Catster will continue to add those types of fun features. And we really appreciate that Catster does listen to its customers. Icey - Pawsome Pages rocks. You all do a fantastic job and have helped Mom and other kitties so much. Thank You. Purrs, Chai
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Hi Chai! :-h We loves that new commenting on diaries feature too - it's great - we just noticed recently! We like the two groups we helped start bc they have a special focus on pawsitive things and fun but I know at one time there were no groups and only forums and maybe that was better - we will try to make more effort to check in over here now. :D It's a good way to make new friends too. |/h/|
  • Jeanette CereskeJeanette Cereske San FranciscoMember Posts: 16,444
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Roger Bleu %:D% We have always enjoyed the forums. Sometimes we see kitties we know from groups here but we have made many new fureinds here as well. Catster really is a family you know. We are all different but united by one core thing - We Love our Kitties!! Purrs, Chai