It Seems Very Quiet On Catster Compared To A Year Ago

Comments

• Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Friday night P&P at LLS is like a ghost town. I hate to see that. Mistress joined Facebook too, just to see what the commotion was about, and while she does love it, we still love Catster more than any other site.
  • Nuk AnukNuk Anuk Member Posts: 846
    edited 26 May, 2009
    It's a US holiday and travel weekend. I would expect many of our typists are either starting their summers, attending graduations or just out on weekends. Our typist lost some good quality Catster time weeding the around the hydrangea bush and along the fence today.
  • Humphrey HauntedHumphrey Haunted CaliforniaMember Posts: 10,753
    edited 26 May, 2009
    True, but this started months ago when the weather was not so nice out, so it's more than just a Seasonal thing, we think. We love P & P but have not been able to go to it bc almost every Friday night Mommy has had something or other she has had to do - we need to go back and support it bc it's a lot of fun. This Friday a group we administrate in is having a dinner party/meeting of administrators starting at 5:30 PM but maybe we can go over after it is over - hopefully. :D
  • Kathy MillerKathy Miller O'FallonMember Posts: 5,315 ✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Oh I hope HQ hasn't read this yet! One reason we set up temporary groups is so that a bunch of us can communicate to plan a surprise for another cat. If we had the ability to pmail more than one cat at a time, the groups wouldn't really be needed for that purpose. Really, trying to coordinate something by pmailing each cat individually is very trying. After the "event" the group usually goes into an inactive state because it was set up for one specific purpose. Another way to handle that would be to put an expiration date on groups that are set up for that purpose. Thanks, HQ!!!!
  • Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
    edited 26 May, 2009
    One thing I really want changed ASAP is the whole adding pictures thing. Mom just took new pictures of me and doesn't even want to go through the ordeal of deleting pictures one by one just to add a few new ones. We have 100 photos constantly so we always need to remove some to put more on. Thats one thing that is WAYYY easier on FB and so mom is always on there adding new photos. Please catster make it so we can delete more then one photo at a time.
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Since it's a 3 day weekend they probably won't get to this maybe til next week, not sure? It would be nice to be able to delete more than one photo at a time but for us, we would just like it to be more active on here like it was, so we are hoping HQ might have some ideas and be able to implement a few of ours. The inactive groups really need to be taken down so newbies do not get confused here. And they are taking up space on the site that might be used in a better way, you know? The breed contest where we could all win extra zealies was great - I think it would be pawsome to have more things along that line too! |/h/| :P
  • Jeanette CereskeJeanette Cereske San FranciscoMember Posts: 16,444
    edited 26 May, 2009
    I agree with Miles - the pmail function could be so much better. If it was more like Outlook - being able to create groups to pmail, or see when you have replied to a pmail - it would be great! Meow! Little Bit
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Yes Roger, we are new to Catster (March), and were very excited to join some groups- but did not realize that they were inactive. It would be good to free up that space. We also loved earning zealies with the breed game! |$|
  • JoAnn AlbertJoAnn Albert Allison ParkMember Posts: 4,597
    edited 26 May, 2009
    We love catster. We aren't on facebook or any other networks but know lots of friends who are. We have made so many wonderful friends here, and also have learned so much about kitty care. We wouldn't want to go anywhere else. It would be sad for us if our friends quit coming by. :(( Luckily we are in some very active groups. We do have some slow times when our humans get busy, they are still very fun groups and there's usually someone there to talk with. ~a~
    edited 26 May, 2009
    We agrees - Catster ish great and furry unique and juhst fur ush, yesh. The groups we have are fun but we have to be sure to work hard on them bc attendance ish jusht down in all of them as far as we can see and many previously very large and active groups are very small now comared to how they were. :? We alsho used to get lots of pawmails and invitations to groups all the time and now all of that is virtually nil so we know something ish different. Another game to win zealies would be loads of fun! |$|
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Also, on Dogster for a while, they had treats you could give away (like rosettes) for free (no zealies). It would be nice to have something like that on Catster, even if it is temporary.
  • Mietzi_KatzeMietzi_Katze IowaMember Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Hi cats. I have just been reading thru this threat and I agree. It has been more quiet lately. When we (brofur and I) first came to Catster, we joined a group that was not active at all. Nobody meowed for days and all the messages were old. We were actually able to remove ourselves from the group and a day later the group name was also gone from our pages. I think on the group page we went to the bottom where is says Group Administration, and we clicked on \"remove a member\". What we like about Catster is that it\'s family friendly, nothing inappropriate for a 7 year old, the cats here are so friendly and helpful. (Even the dogs are friendly, MOL). If somebody needs help, lots of furrs usually rally around the cause. We learned alot and got lots of great tips on food and health and things in the forums. Also we like that it\'s safe here. HQ and the admins usually watch out that nofurr shares purrsonal information, like our real address and things. We are not on Facebook or MySpace. Our hooman is usually pretty careful about what info she gives out over the internet. She is kinda old fashioned that way. We just wouldn\'t feel safe on FB. I didn\'t even know that cats could have FB or MS pages. We have only been here since Dec. 30th. So we don\'t know what it was like a year ago. We love Catster! |/h/|
    edited 26 May, 2009
    We loves the guidelines - that is one of the bestes things here! =; We can't have FB pages no - it'sh only fur humans but the humans can make a seperate part of their page fur ush - it'sh not fun at all compared to here. We used to be on MS but it was very bad bc there were no guidelines and we were exposed to a lot of awful things - people scamming for money and constant talk about deaths and sad things happening to people and animals - we hated it and came here and we are so glad we did! :c9
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Tasha, we loved the free rosettes thingy - for ages awhile ago they had those free Fabreze collar rosettes to give away and it wash fur cats or dogs - that wash tons of fun! |/h/| We would love to see more of that short of thing - especially for the non Plus members bc they don't get zealies every month like we do. We meant to post thish thread in a non Plus forum btw - eesh I can't believe we messed that up. :? :r :n: We want to hear from ALL Catster members.
  • Mietzi_KatzeMietzi_Katze IowaMember Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2009
    You know what\'s missing on Catster? A help area just for the new furrs. Like a threat that says \"Are you new here - read this\" or something like that. And everybody who creates and account on catster/dogster should be directed exactly to that threat and it should be a place where the furrs can ask all kinds of questions. Because everything is new to them when they first come here. It would be so much more fun for them if some of the more experienced furrs could take them by the paw and help them out. A lot of other special interest websites/blogs have a help threat dedicated to new members. Whoops, I wrote all this and then checked and yes, there are 2 threats all the way on the bottom here for new furrs \"New to Catster\" and \"Tips, Ticks & Help on Catster\". :r Those should be moved up by HQ so that furrs actually see them when they come to the Forum.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 26 May, 2009
    It could be because there are Casters who gang up on other Catsters. Just a thought.
  • Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
    edited 26 May, 2009
    There are catsters who gang up on other catsters? Thats so sad, Im sorry to hear that Harvey.
  • Jeanette CereskeJeanette Cereske San FranciscoMember Posts: 16,444
    edited 26 May, 2009
    There are lots of good thoughts and suggestions here and I think what it important is that we all want Catster to be fun, friendly and active! Inactive groups are a big problem. It's really discouraging when you are new to join a group and see that no one has posted there for a long time. I think there are a few ways this could be avoided: 1 - Groups that have been inactive (for example no activity in 90 days) have an asterisk next to them with the words This group has not been active for 90 days. 2. When you join a group that has not had any activity for 90 days, you get a message that tells you that (like when you open a thread that has been inactive for 90 days). Then you would know before you joined. 3. HQ could contact the Admins of groups that have been inactive for 90 days and ask if the group should be kept or deleted. Also it seems that some groups are kind of cliquey. We've joined a few and felt that vibe so we left. As admins we try to make all of our members feel welcome and a part of things. Kitty Kisses, Sugar Bear
  • Benji ThompsonBenji Thompson Member Posts: 7,380
    edited 26 May, 2009
    I'm not on that often, but, even I have noticed that Catster has been really quiet. Where have all the kitties gone?
  • Eileen GoodmanEileen Goodman FredericksburgMember Posts: 2,558
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Don't know where other kitties are but I'm here. And so are my sisters and cousins. We have only been on since March and have had so much fun and even as young as I am, I made a lot of friends. So have my sisters and cousins. Maumi has too. She told me to be sure to write that. WE LOVE CATSTER!!!!! ;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;
    edited 26 May, 2009
    We've never been ganged up on and have met many wonderful friends here - we think it would be a great idea to have links fur newbies in a place on the Catster log in page that would be easy to find - it can be really confusing here when yew is new. :? :D Lots of really good ideas everyone has posted. =; |/h/|
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Hello, Everycat! Firstly, Roger and Humphrey, if you want to move this thread out of \"Plus\", I can move it to the \"What I Love About Catster\" forum if you wish it. And just to assure any \"newbies\", ganging up is not allowed on Catster. If anycat feels that he/she is being harassed, ganged up on or gets mean or stalking pmails, you can contact HQ at any time. You can even telephone HQ at 415-934-0400, Monday thru Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST . . . or you can pmail any of the Catster moderator families: Beatrice Bruce Athena and we will pmail back to you. The Catster moderators prowl the forums, keeping it a safe place for all. If anyone posts what you feel is an upsetting comment, either against you or any Catster, all you have to do is click on the \"notify\" on the bottom right of the offending post. Nothing changes on the offending post but a copy of it goes to the moderators\' administration bin and we are alerted to take a look. The offending member does NOT know who \"notified\" his post. The moderators are here for all. Please do not hesitate to contact any of us with any questions. That\'s what we\'re here for. Purrs and Love, Athena, Apollo and Aragorn
  • Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 26 May, 2009
    For us it seemed like the forums slowed considerably when everyone joined the groups. In the forums, you can see which forums have activity. You can also find a friend who is online and find out which forum was the last one they posted in. If they are currently active in the groups, you have no way to find out which group currently has activity or if your friend is hanging out in the group instead of the forums. I've tried sending IMs to friends but they don't answer or some friends don't even appear online, even though they are posting in the forums at the time. I would be a lot more active if I knew where everyone was hanging out.
    edited 26 May, 2009
    Athena, I think it would be a wonderful idea to move this thread to a non Plus forum so everyone who wants to can participate - I meant to post it in that part of the Forums. As long as we can all still find this and carry on meowing. Thank you for offering to do that! =; I think that there are just way too many groups and if we had a lot less it would be much better and yes it is very hard to know where friends are hanging out I agree.
  • edited 26 May, 2009
    THOUGH WE WILL NEVER SAY NAMES.....IN OUR PESONAL DEALING WITH SOME OF OUR FRIENDS "MOMMY'S" WE HAVE BEEN SHUNNED AND NEGLECTED BY SOME OF OUR FRIENDS HUMANS. WE ARE SPEAKING OF THE HUMANS THAT ONCE WAS GOOD ENOUGH FRIENDS WITH MY MOMMY, THAT THEY WOULD EXCHANGE PERSONAL E-MAIL WITH US. WE SENT LETTERS ASKING THEM WHAT WE HAD DONE TO THEM...AND NEVER GOT A REPLY BACK TO ANSWER OUR QUESTION. MOMMY KNEW THE FAULT WAS OF NONE OF THESE PEOPLE'S CATS. SO FOR A WHILE WE STILL SENT THEIR CATS GIFTS. AND ANY GIFTS FROM US TO THEIR CATS NOW GO UNNOTICED & UNTHANKED. AND FOR A SHORT WHILE....WE HAD MANY FRIENDS TAKE THEIR CORRALS AWAY FROM US. WE KNOW THAT THE WAY OUR FRIENDS HUMANS TREAT US STILL IS NO FAULT OF THEIR CATS. LET ME TELL YOU.....TOO MANY PEOPLE TAKE THIS SITE TOO PERSONAL. BUT MY MOMMY IS A KIND LADY AND WE FIGURE IT TO BE THE HUMANS LOSS. NO NEED TO ASK US QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS.....IT'S SOMETHING MOMMY WILL JUST KEEP TO HERSELF. IT HURT FOR A LONG TIME....BUT MOMMY HAS LEARNED TO GET BEYOND IT AND JUST HAVE FUN ON THE SITE. IT'S A SHAME WHEN YOUR MOMMY IS AFRAID TO MAKE PERSONAL FRIENDS WITH HUMANS WHEN SO MANY HAVE TURNED AGAINST US. AND WE HAVE SAID I'M SORRY WAY TOO MANY TIMES FOR "WHATEVER" WE HAVE DONE TO THESE HUMANS. IT"S ALL LEFT IN GOD'S HANDS. BUT WE LOVE YOU CATSTER AND HQ'S. WE LOVE OUR FRIENDS TOO...VERY MUCH.
  • Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 26 May, 2009
    (((Karma and her Mom)))) Your true friends will be there no matter what...... *looks ashamed* We have not been very good about thanking people for gifties.... we need to do better with that p.s. I love your pink hat Karma!!!
  • edited 26 May, 2009
    Oh Cleoparta, Don't feel ashamed over something you are not responsible for. We know you love us.....and we believe that most of our friends do:c9 We all have our slow getting back to friends sometimes. it's only human cause our parents get busy with their every day lives and jobs. No one take offense to what we shared. It is only true for us....... Beside these people were friends with Mommy before she even put me a page on Catster. Mommy used to admire these friends kitties pages on Catster before I was even on the site. So that is probably why Mommy felt so hurt as long as she did. God has Blessed us with new friends and we are very happy. Love to you all, Karma and Family
  • BruceTheBossBruceTheBoss Winslow, BuckinghamshireMember Posts: 37,079 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2009
    :-h Just popping in to say Hi following Athena's post. I am Bruce, one of the moderators here in the forums. Feel free to contact us at anytime, we are always here to help or listen. |:| |:||:| for Karma and family.

Bruce The Boss

• Kathy MillerKathy Miller O'FallonMember Posts: 5,315 ✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2009
    |:| Hugs to you Karma! We have seen some falling outs between friends of ours and it makes us sad. It hasn't happened to us, fortunately. But not all people will like each other. Not even all cats like each other, although I think we do a better job than humans.
    edited 27 May, 2009
    The main thing I wanted to stress in this topic/thread is how much we enjoy Catster and want to make sure everyone has fun here and think of ways to make it more active like it was a year or so ago. :D =; If someone is not a match for us we move on - there are lots of nice people here. |:| Thanks for moving this over to What I Love About Catster! %:D%