Feeding Schedule

Mandy FeeneyMandy Feeney dundeeMember Posts: 7,973
edited 19 May, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
Hi. My two older cats, Spikey and Hobbit are abit overweight. I am wanting to know how many times a day I should be feeding them and how much at each meal? Also my kitty Dez is alot skinnier than the other two (Obviously) but when I pickjed him up from his old home I got to see his mother and she must of only be a year but believe me she was very much skinnier than any other cat I've seen but she looked healthy enough. So anyway, is there any specific cat food I can feed them thats more healthier? Right now I've been picking up anything from Felix to Whiskas. Also is dry food as fattening as wet food?

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 17 May, 2009
    Spikey may I suggest you go to a site called catinfo.org there is alot of info there for you to read on cat nutrition=; Let us know what you think after you read it ok :)
  • Mandy FeeneyMandy Feeney dundeeMember Posts: 7,973
    edited 18 May, 2009
    Thanks Shadow. Tis a helpful site.
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 18 May, 2009
    Spikey, I see Shadow has already referred you to a wonderful website, and see, also, that you have visited it, which is great. In a nutshell, eliminate all dry food, and upgrade the wet food to something like Wellness, Natural Balance, or Avoderm (all of which can be found at Petco). Blue Buffalo is another option, and this can be found at Petco and Petsmart. If you only have Petsmart, you could consider By Nature and/or By Nature Organics. You could also consider a raw diet, in which case the Raw Forum here on Catster would be a good place to visit. I personally feed my cats two meals per day (am meal is around 7:30, pm meal is around 6:30 - am meal is canned, pm meal is raw) and they also get a few treats (things like Ziwi Peak or Wellness treats), and sometimes one small meal (such as a 3 ounce can of canned food or a Wellness pouch that they share). They are both a healthy weight for their body frame.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 18 May, 2009
    I would get the vet to weigh them, or check them yourself for weight on a baby scale to get a better idea of how much they should be fed in a day. My concern is that you might err on the side of caution and starve them, and even wet food guidance on the cans is very loosely related to a cat's actual needs (as in, you might still feed too much based on the manufacturers' instructions). Hunter has a good formula for how much a kitty needs based on their weight. I hope he sees this thread and re-posts it. Based on that formula, you can probably reduce that caloric intake by a small amount (maybe 5% or so) and play the waiting game. Cats in general lose weight very slowly, so the whole thing will be more like a marathon than a sprint.
  • Mandy FeeneyMandy Feeney dundeeMember Posts: 7,973
    edited 18 May, 2009
    Thanks for the replys. I don't have any PetSmart places around here. I get the cat food from Tescos. I can try to see if they sell anything that you suggested. Or I could go to a proper pet shop. Pets at Home is generally a good pet store. Right now I feed Spikey and Hobbit 2 meals a day. One in the morning before I go to school (so around 7:30-8:30am ) and one around night time at like 9-10pm. But in between that I feed them some biscuits. I dont usually have to feed them many biscuits because they like to go out through most of the day. The way I try to make them lose a lil weight is by playing with them but they dont have a good attention span. The other problem would be to weigh them. Spikey wont do good at a vets and neither would Hobbit as Hob dont like strangers. Spikey doesnt like to be picked up so putting him on scales may be tricky xD And Hob hardly ever stays in one place long enough xD
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited 19 May, 2009
    My cats were on a mix of dry and canned for a long time. Whether it was because they were overeating the dry (I free fed) or because the dry is just so bad for them, they have come down to a healthy weight since going to canned only. Their coats are markedly softer too, even though they refuse to switch to a higher quality food. As for weighing them, sigh... :(( The only way I\'ve found is to get on the scale myself :-O , then pick up the cat and get on it again. Because I don\'t want to know the truth about my own weight ;) , I do this at the end of the day, fully clothed and with shoes on. :)) You can put rocks in your pockets too to help take any meaning out of your own number. Shelley hates to be picked up, so I just judge her weight by her appearance and the amount of fat on her ribs. The number itself isn\'t important.