Nutro Recall

2»

Comments

• Debi DuffDebi Duff PeterboroughMember Posts: 3,029
    edited 25 May, 2009
    Matty... I\'m sorry if you feel that there is venom bein hissed at you & your fellow co-workers. I think it would be fair to say that our hackles do get a bit up when a pet food company has to resort to having their reps infiltrate forums such as these to try to push their products. Despite the fact that many of us enjoy letting our furry ones do the talking, behind the keyboards are intelligent individuals who have done their own research. Obviously the higher end pet food companies don\'t have to resort to this kind of under-handed behaviour to sell their food. They just make good quality food that intelligent people will purchase because guess what??? That is what the market is made up of now. :^:
  • Aaron LeeAaron Lee SeattleMember Posts: 251
    edited 25 May, 2009
    Due respect, I understand how many might feel. But we haven't infiltrated anything, I've been on Catser since early 2006 http://www.catster.com/cats/267968 I just revamped my girls' profiles/started over. I'd be on here regardless of who employed me. And I do understand hatred toward corporations, more than I could ever make you understand, I was just trying to make a point that personal attacks don't serve any real purpose, and seem to go against what this community is all about. :D
    edited 25 May, 2009
    Matty...I agree completely when/if it comes to personal attacks. Any attacks I read in this thread were toward Nutro (the product, the company & the idea of having reps come into the forums to push the product). You bet I\'m going to jump on it when I hear of low grade foods being referred to as a \"meat diet\". Do you honestly think people are not going to reply? But that is not a personal attack. It\'s calling low grade food, what it is. Just like naming a rep, a rep, isn\'t an attack. Had someone called one of you something nasty, it would have been different....unless being called a Nutro rep really is an insult. That may feel personal as it is a company you and your friends represent and are in fact representing here. Whether or not that was the reason for reactivating your page is irrelevant and really up to you...Catster and Dogster are and should be a fun place. But if you don\'t want to feel personal attacks against Nutro, you need to be not pushing it on the forums. It really is the only solution. If people want it, they will buy it...based on their own research. As I said before....behind each one of us adorable kitties, is an intelligent human, quite capable of choosing good, quality food.
    edited 25 May, 2009
    Hey, just one more word, then I'll shut up. As I've said time and time again, I'm personally not pushing anything. If a person really had the time on their hands to go back and re-read everything I (Aaron) have written and posted, they'd see that I'm anything but a corporate shill. :)
    edited 25 May, 2009
    Then Matty & (Aaron) :-h ... let\'s call a truce cuz I too would like to let it be & go back ta jus bein my usual Troll self here, havin fun, like you. Momma jus has a habit a takin over when she feels strong bout somethin....bad mommy. Purrs & Meows....from Dustball (the Troll) & his mom (Deb) :^:
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 May, 2009
    Nutro claims that there have been no complaints. This is patently absurd. Also, please remember, that once a recall has been issued, the list of affected foods typically grows to include most of the foods produced. You can bet the recall list will be longer soon. Please be cautious. HL
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 27 May, 2009
    Har har har! Nutro is the only "premium" food readily available in Japan. My cats didn't like it, so I switched them back to Science Diet. During the recalls of 2007, the variety of SD I was feeding them was NOT one of the recalled varieties. I'm not pushing SD; I wish I had the choice of foods that you do in the States, but here SD and Royal Canin are still cutting-edge foods.
  • Jessica CobbJessica Cobb Gastonia/CharlotteMember Posts: 91
    edited 27 May, 2009
    I'm not here to bash Nutro, but I'm putting my two cents in. This is my true experience with the food. About 2 1/2 years ago I very slowly and carefully switched my cats from Purina One to Nutro Complete Care Indoor Adult, and 2 out of 3 became ill. Aglaia and Cairo both developed bloody diarrhea and vomitting. The emergency veterinarian couldn't be positive it was the food, but he said he had good reason to believe it was. I switched them to Wellness dry and it went away within days. Now they are on a wet only grain free diet and are doing better than ever.
    edited 28 May, 2009
    Fair enough you guys. Thanks Dustball (and mom), I just wanted to make it clear that those of us who are affiliated with Nutro are loving cat (and dog) parents and that it's not our intent or mission to be here and force products or ideas (no pun intended) down other kitties' throats. I respect the opinions of others and acknowledge that the petfood industry worldwide (including Nutro) has much work to do as far as regaining consumer confidence. That being said, if any new developments arise regarding the recall, I'll be certain, and more than happy to share whatever I know with my fellow catsters.
  • Suzanne BrunerSuzanne Bruner Member Posts: 440
    edited 1 June, 2009
    Someone said something about Nutro being upfront about everything and how they are looking out for peoples pets because the recall is voluntary. Sorry, but no. People have been crying foul for months now about Nutro making their pets sick and what did Nutro do? Deny it, deny it, deny it. The pet owners were crazy and being ridiculous and there was nothing wrong with the food and blah blah blah. The voluntary recall was nothing but damage control.
  • Laura CantuLaura Cantu PasadenaMember Posts: 58,782
    edited 3 June, 2009
    Hi Just wanted to add that I was fed Nutro (wet and dry). I recently had runny stools and was pooping in the house. I've never done that before. Mom found out about the recall and immediately took me off the food. I'm now eating Blue Mountain which is made in USA and they have their own kitchen. Ever since the switch I've been fine. Mom wasn't sure if the loose stools were due to my age. Turns out I'm still young and hearty. She changed my food and now I'm back on track.
  • Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
    edited 3 June, 2009
    I've probably posted this many times on here but I will quickly again. I fed all my pets Nutro for years, because I couldn't afford Innova anymore. They were fine for a long time, but my persian lost his fluff. I thought it was due to age. Then after Mars bought them in 2007 (I didn't know that at the time), BOTH of my cats suddenly began vomiting more and more frequently. One began having chronic diarrhea. Put them on raw and their health improved immediately. Vomiting and diarrhea disappeared in one day. Oh, and Oscar's fluff returned within 2 weeks of being on raw. I have pictures, it's amazing. So on Nutro they were surviving, not thriving. My dog did OK on it. He threw up once right during the recall in 2007 and I kept him on it for a while (I can't believe I did that now, but back then I didn't want to do a big change). I'm not afraid of change for them anymore though. I'll feed them whatever I have to, but it won't be Nutro.
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 3 June, 2009
    I get emails from the FDA and I got another email yesterday (I think) about another Nutro recall? Or maybe they just expanded the list. I don\'t have any details on it, but I\'m glad this thing is getting busted wide open. Sorry you kitties got sick on the food, glad your doing better now!!!! =;
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 3 June, 2009
    Exactly Oscar, alot of cats can "survive" on alot of these pet foods when they have good genes,but they surely can "thrive", and be alot healthier and live longer on a species appropriate diet. =;
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Worse yet, Consumer Affairs is getting reports of people saying the recalled food did cause illnesses. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2009/06/nutro_foia07.html
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Glad to hear all the kitties who were sick or failing to thrive on Nutro are doing better now. You cats are the lucky ones. There are many more out there who did not get so lucky. Another thing about Nutro - and it's been discussed numerous times over on Dogster - is how pushy and aggressive their sales reps are. This one poor Dogster was basically harassed repeatedly while trying to buy another brand of food in the presence of a Nutro rep. Gee, I wonder why that might be necessary???? Hmm ... let me think! :-k
2»