Weight gain

Ashley SmithAshley Smith IndependenceMember Posts: 77
edited 4 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
Simba my nine year old Main Coon mix is putting on a little weight, I'm going to take him to the vet for check ups just in case because he seemed to have gained a lot of weight in just a months time. Could it be his food? He's been eating Nine Lives, Friskies and Meow mix and I just put him on cat chow for a minute. What types of food will help him diet and shed some weight? I want him to feel young like when He first hit puburty...okay maaaaybe not that young...:))

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 1 June, 2009
    Hi Simba, not sure how much you weigh but Maine coons are big cats, but if you think that you are too fat then read this link, just copy and paste into your address bar. http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm This site will tell you the proper way to feed and some better foods to feed. Also I will add do not feed Tuna to your cat very often, maybe as a treat once a week but that is it. I can tell you the reasons if you would like.
  • Ashley SmithAshley Smith IndependenceMember Posts: 77
    edited 1 June, 2009
    He doesn't eat Tuna a lot. I give it to him pretty rarely and I guess that's why he's coocoo for it. LOL iNot sure how much he weighs, I'm taking him to his vet so they can weigh him I just know he's a lot heavier when I pick him up.
  • Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
    edited 2 June, 2009
    Sounds like you are just feeding dry. Some cats get addicted to the carbs in the dry...it's a lot of "surgar" basically, not good for cats that are prone to weight gain. Definitely start feeding canned food, or at least 1/2 and 1/2. And Definitely stop free-feeding if you are. Just give him the amount he is supposed to have each day. 1/2 in morning and 1/2 at night!
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Simba, I just wanted to chime in with the others here. First and foremost, the days of Nine Lives, Friskies, and Cat Chow need to be over. Start reading labels and you\'ll quickly see that these sorts of foods (really any grocery store brand except for Newman\'s Own, which is not widely available) are the kitty equivalent of junk food that will (often severely) damage your cat\'s health over time. For example, here are the ingredients for Friskies Indoor Delights (I chose this one at random): Ingredients Ground yellow corn, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, meat and bone meal, soybean meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), turkey by-product meal, powdered cellulose, animal liver flavor, soybean hulls, malt extract, phosphoric acid, salt, dried cheese powder, potassium chloride, choline chloride, added color (Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 2 and other color), parsley flakes, calcium carbonate, taurine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite. F-5005 Now compare to a mid-priced (but still very good quality) food, in this case Avoderm Chicken Formula canned food: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Ocean Fish, Turkey, Kidney, Chicken Liver, Oat Bran, Rice Flour, Avocado Oil, Guar Gum, Salt, Carrageenan, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Sodium Selenite. See the difference? The Friskies starts off with ground yellow corn, corn gluten meal, and it isn\'t until the third ingredient that you see any sort of meat, and even then it\'s not an actual meat or meat meal, it\'s meat byproduct meal, which means that anything and everything that was once part of that whole chicken, including beaks, feathers, feet, etc. is part or could be part of that \"meal.\" Additionally, it\'s full of all sorts of artificial colors, and also menadione sulfate, which is an artificial vitamin K derivative with documented ties to the following health problems: •causes formation of radicals from enzymes of leucocytes, with the consequence of cytotoxic reactions •considerably weakens the immune system •possible mutagenic effects •damages the natural vitamin K cycle •has no effect on coumarin derivatives, which are often present in commercial food due to mold contamination (toxic when ingested) •causes hemolytic anemia and hyperbilirubinemia, not just linked to large doses •disturbs the level of calcium ions (Ca2+) in the body, which is an important factor fibrinolysis •is directly toxic in high doses (vomiting, albuminuria), unlike natural vitamin K •builds up in tissue and has been detected in eggs, meat and milk of animals supplemented with menadione derivatives •causes irritation of skin and mucous membranes •causes allergic reactions and eczema On the other hand, the first six ingredients listedin the Avoderm are meat, meat broth, or organ meat: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Ocean Fish, Turkey, Kidney, Chicken Liver. Which would you rather eat? Now, it\'s worth noting that the Friskies I chose was dry (because I am deducing that you are feeding dry) and the Avoderm was canned, but even still, the difference is dramatic once you see it in black and white. Someone else suggested catinfo.org and I would like to reiterate that suggestion that you take a look at it and give it a serious read-through. I think it will be eye-opening for you to read, from a veterinarian, what a species appropriate diet for cats is (one hint - it is NEVER any kind of dry food, even a really good brand), and I think you will see from that that your guy\'s diet needs a serious overhaul. Honestly, a little extra weight is probably the least of his worries right now, although it\'s definitely good that you are keeping an eye on it.