blue buffalo vrs. wellness, evo and other hight quality foods

Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
edited 20 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
all cats arnt made the same, so i doubt any cat one cat food is right for cats. my cats were on wellness for a while but it is 15 bucks for a 2-3 pound bag here where i live. i have 4 mouths to feed and that just was too expensive to pay every week,plus the wet food they get. And yes, i cheeped out. i got iams cat food and i rememberd why i dont get it. dull coats, puke, and weight gain. i have tried evo and other grain free, but my cats never got use to it. there poop was horrible, puking, getting fat, ect. it just was not working for them. now tiny can eat anything and stay trim. angel, and sassy, tho, fat up real fast. But it seems like all the diet foods out there are nothing but fillers. I went to the petshop where i take care of the rescue cats they house there, and i saw Blue buffalo. I eneded up getting the sensitve system kind, as it was low in fat, soy, corn and glutin free, had l-lysine (which my cats need) and had a resonable fat content (12%) has anyone had any good or bad with BB? and please keep in mind that all wet food, raw and grain free arnt options, at least for us.

Comments

• Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 3 June, 2009
    I have been feeding Blue Buffalo lately and the kitties have done really well on it. They used to get EVO, Wellness and Instinct and did great on those also. I even did raw for a while (long story but cheetah gets too aggressive around it. Only Rasha can have raw) and of course great results there too. Right now I\'m having financial issues so BB has been our canned food of choice. It\'s on sale at Petsmart for $.89 per can which is do-able. I still have a bag of Innova kibble from a while ago so they are still getting some of that. When I do buy kibble I\'m going to look into Taste of the Wild again. (they have tried many foods over the years) They get mostly canned but on a tight budget you have to cheat a little bit!! Good call on Iams, blah! Besides all the \"crap-tastic\" foods, the only food I recommend to watch out for is Timberwolf Organics. My cats have both been on many foods including- Innova, Wellness, EVO, Instinct, Orijen, Meow Mix (i know, i know.... LONG time ago), Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Evangers, etc. and always had good results, no vomiting. I tried Timberwolf and from the second I fed it to them they were throwing up, bloody diarrhea the whole shebang. Just a word of caution. =;
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    edited 3 June, 2009
    I had the opportunity to meet a nutritionist from Blue Buffalo and work with her on choosing the right formulas for my girls. I was impressed not only with the quality ingredients but also with the money they are donating to help research pet cancers and the research they continue to put into the optimal ingredients in their food. She was able to explain the reasons that corn and soy are bad, not just give me a sales pitch. The price was definitely better than the Royal Canin that I was feeding. And they are located in Connecticut so I was supporting the home team! But unfortunately my girls decided they really are not crazy about the taste (I was blending with their old food and they were picking out the stuff they liked) so we went back to the Royal Canin for a while. Now I am in the process of switching to Innova instead. (not the EVO, the regular one with grains in it) I really need an all life stages formula so my kittens can eat with my adults without continuing to have to blend in kitten formula with the adult food.
  • Elease KruegerElease Krueger Member Posts: 483
    edited 4 June, 2009
    my cats ate the wilderness for a little while, and i was really happy with it. the only problem is that cricket pukes really bad if there is any grain present... and there's a little bit of oatmeal in wilderness, so that was all it took for her. so we tried evo, which she LOVED, but started putting on weight when she was already chunky!!! the one that she and i've been most happy with is the merrick before grain. it had the least calories of all the grain free's that were availiable to me, and she absolutely loved it.
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Tiny, I don\'t use Blue Buffalo, but I would feel confident in doing so. I actually tried some once and my cats, who honestly will eat most anything, just did not care for it. But if yours do, more power to them. I think Blue is a great company.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 4 June, 2009
    mine eat every last kibble of BB so we may have a winner. i will just have to see how there weight goes. thanks guys
  • Nancy KarlovNancy Karlov Member Posts: 44
    edited 11 June, 2009
    For dry food has anyone tried Pro Pac Kitten, NOT Pro Plan. It is a high protien dry food without all the veggies and fruit that are no good for us. It's not perfert, none are, such a shame. My Mom supplements with wet and puts pumpkin, rice bran, a Nu cat vitamin in the wet with a little bottled water. We also get cooked chicken, turkey, canned sardines after the bad vegetable oil is washed off. Also human grade salmon oil with vit E. All five of us are perfect weight not fat not skinny and the Pro Pac must be the Kitten because of the higher protien, it doesnt' make us fat. Would love it if the grain free dry food increased the protien, with the right protien, meat, and left out bad stuff like alfalfa and vegtable oils amongst others. Let me know what you think.|:|
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 11 June, 2009
    so i dont know about blue buffalo. ive had to clean up an aweful lot of puke logs. i may have to switch back to wellness and just be broke =/
  • Heidi HessenHeidi Hessen Acworth/KennesawMember Posts: 975
    edited 11 June, 2009
    Allie, mom had the same experience yours did. It was very informative. I have stopped overgrooming myself and am not as flinchy as i once was. This is thanks to blue buffalo. Even my gramma is not ripping out her furs the way she was. and our coats!!:-O:) my doggy sisfur lucy eats it too...she likes both the wet and kibbles. we only eat the kibbles. for wet it is all about the fancy feast. and worse yet there are only 4 flavors we will eat. trout, flaked chicken/tuna, roasted chicken and roasted turkey. anything else and we just walk away. blue buff IS more costly, but we actually do eat less of it, so it evens out. mom is VERY happy with the bb. she is happy to have her handsome maxwell back!!! heehee!!!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 11 June, 2009
    Did you switch them gradually? Mom has found that at least one of us does not react to food changes well at all, unless they are done really, really slowly. We eat Wellness Core, but mom tried to switch us to another Wellness formula... and I was having stinky soft poos and was generally not very enthused about the food. Mom ended up putting us back on Wellness Core, and if she ever switches us from it (she's wanted to try BG for a long time), she will take a couple of weeks of mixing the food as a result of what happened last time she tried .
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 11 June, 2009
    I feed Blue Wilderness, which is made by Blue Buffalo. We had such a hard time, trying to get Bumpurr switched over to a better quality food, which he would not eat any of them, when he would eat this, we stopped. My vet did not want to upset him any further, keep trying diff foods, which didn't work, then put him back on Wilderness, and he doesn't eat it. I had thought it was grain free, until I read thru the posts, and someone mentioned oatmeal, yup, oats is a grain. But its low in carbs, and most important, low in salt, and he will eat it. It runs ballpark $17 for a 6 lb bag at Petsmart. Like the original poster said, mol, each cat is different, and what works for one cat, may not work for another cat. Also know this from the horse world. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
    edited 11 June, 2009
    LOL one of the replies reminded me that when I first got Charlie waaay back in 1996, I fed him Meow Mix. I loved the commercial with the cat "singing" for his food, and I thought the different colors of the kibble was offering "variety." LOL no cat of mine will ever be so terribly fed again!
  • Heidi HessenHeidi Hessen Acworth/KennesawMember Posts: 975
    edited 13 June, 2009
    Mom did not switch us over to Blue Buff gradually...she has always givenus a variety of dry foods. She figures that we get bored with the same old thing too, so....:? What it came down to is if we liked it, GREAT! If not, then off it went to the shelter where surely somebody would like it.
  • Sara KangSara Kang Member Posts: 403
    edited 20 June, 2009
    I vote for EVO canned & dry. I'm transitioning everyone to canned only, and thankfully, they love it! Never tried the others, though Wellness would be my 2nd choice. I hear a lot of cats have digestive upset w/it though. My Aunt who has rescued many cats felt Milo and Chabifa's fur, and said she's never felt anything softer than their fur...I never realized this until my older adult fosters' coats weren't so soft! They've been on Evo, w/some NV here and there. I credit the Evo:) Natura Pet Products is one of the few manufacturers not affected by any recalls. Even good brands like Natural Balance, Solid Gold, etc. have been affected at some point.