Stubborn Kitten

Kelli SternKelli Stern Member Posts: 90
edited 8 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
I am fostering Mischief. When I got her she was 2 weeks old. She is now approximately 6-6 weeks weeks old. I can not get her to eat canned food, dry food, nothing. All she wants is her baba.. The lady i\'m fostering for wants me to put food down and let her good (all day if necessary) till she eats. To me this is cruel, but what do you guys think? I\'ve tried mixing her milk in with the food, heating it.. Don\'t know what else to do. She is healthy otherwise. She plays and her poops are fine. Can anyone give me some idea\'s?

Comments

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 1 June, 2009
    Not all kittens wean at six weeks. Some kittens take longer to wean because they thrive not just on milk, but on the intimacy of being fed. Whatever the reason, Mischief is just letting you know she's not ready yet. Give her a couple more weeks of formula, and try again. I wouldn't worry just yet. OTOH if she gets to 12 weeks and still wants milk only, then I'd solicit a vet's advice. P.S. - Mischief, mom says you look like I did when I was a kitten. She thinks you're a cutie. :-$
  • edited 1 June, 2009
    Along with what Gracie said... Mom used baby food to get us started on solids... even before canned food. Plain chicken, turkey, & beef. She looked for the food that only had the meat & water... no extras... I think Beecher\'s (?) fit the bill. Loki was a stubbornly slow weaner :)) Even after he was eating solid foods, he did not want to give up momma Teaka\'s good stuff. Teaka got really ticked at him after a while, and the love/hate relationship continues to this day! :-O
  • Kelli SternKelli Stern Member Posts: 90
    edited 2 June, 2009
    I talked to the lady today, who said absolutely NO more bottle. She wanted me to let her go all day with can food available to her. I did it and although I thought she had eaten she hadn't. By nighttime she was starving, so I have her a big baba and big apology. She is threatening to take the kitten back. I'm obligated to give her back to the agency, I don't want her to die. She is well big enough to be at least trying some food.. The lady says I'm enabling her to be like this, but she's just a baby. What am I going to do? Should I just give her back and let this lady handle her? She wants her up for adoption on Saturday.
  • edited 2 June, 2009
    Why is this lady being so pushy? What\'s the rush? What\'s the difference in another week or two, if you\'re willing to work with li\'l Mischief a little longer? :? Besides, most responsible adopters/breeders that I know don\'t let their kittens go until a minimum of 8 weeks.... and sometimes will go up to 10-12 weeks in order to get the first round of shots in. I dunno what else to tell ya. If you try to force the weaning too soon, li\'l Mischief could possibly end up with some behavioral issues. Loki is still a little aggressive with Teaka, but I can\'t imagine what it would have been like if Mom had tried to force him to wean earlier. :-O
    edited 2 June, 2009
    She is VERY controlling. No wonder her marriage is a shambles. Anyway, back to Mischief.. I've gone back to the baba and just not going to tell her. I'm suppose to bring him Sat for adoption, not sure what i'm going to tell when I get there. I was thinking of taking him to my local vet and get a report from him about how old he thinks he is and such. I know that probably won't appease her, but it's worth a try. I don't know what else to do.
    edited 2 June, 2009
    Yes, if you can go to a vet and get his backing, it might get this lady to back off. Honestly, what's the rush? As long as you are willing to work with Mischief and keep her a little longer, why does she want her ready for adoption on Saturday? Kittens should not go up for adoption before 8 weeks anyway, even if they are a lone runt and bottle fed. Meanwhile, maybe the problem is that she has not been introduced to the food properly. If you still have wet kitten food on hand, just smear a tiny bit of it on your finger and offer it to her as a snack. See what she does. Knowing it comes from "mommy's" hand might encourage her. Once she accepts it from your finger, you might want to try and put a tiny amount of it in her bottle, and go from there... Better yet... Would this woman consider you as a permanent parent for her? This might buy you extra time to nurture her, and maybe you can re-home her yourself instead of going through this pushy and controlling woman... It's a lot to take on, but it sounds like you really care for little Mischief, and maybe knowing she's doing alright with whoever she goes might ease your mind a lot more.
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 2 June, 2009
    You are doing exactly what our Mommy would do in your situation by feeding Mischief her baba and not telling the mean lady. Mischief is just a baby and we see no harm in keeping her on the bottle a bit longer. Do try the baby food - most kitties LOVE it :D
    edited 2 June, 2009
    Sorry, I meant \"him\" - of course, Mischief is a little boy :))
    edited 2 June, 2009
    hahaha Tuffy, actually actually i'm a little girl... Thanks for the help.. I am going to try the baby food...
    edited 2 June, 2009
    I am so embarrassed :r I first read your profile and saw you were a girl, but then I saw your previous post and you referred to Mischief as \"he\" so I thought I made an error! You are an adorable little girl, please accept my apology!
    edited 2 June, 2009
    No worries :)
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 3 June, 2009
    I have had this problem before; try the baby food. Also, I had some luck with mixing the milk with canned food until it is like a gruel, and dipping my fingers in it & putting my fingers in their mouth- each time getting a little closer to the bowl. It is not easy, they always seem to just want the bottle. I have also had the problem of being rushed with kittens, and I never understood it. It is true that the best chance for adoption is when they are small, but at 6 weeks- another 2 weeks would not hurt her chances. It seems like these are the type of people that end up in charge for some reason. Good luck!
    edited 3 June, 2009
    I tried the baby food tonight, but she wants nothing to do with it. I've tried mixing the milk with her food. She won't touch that either. Guess I'm just going to have to have patience. I just hope this lady doesn't take her back on Sat. I hate to think of what's going to happen to her.
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Well I guess she kinda forced herself off the baba tonight.. She ate the end of the baba nipple.
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Good news! I finally got her to eat some baby food!! Yay!
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Congrats! Seems that she let you know when SHE was ready! Just like all little kitties...;)
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Thats great news! Good job! ;c;
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Glad to read that Mischief is trying out the baby food. Do hope the person who was trying to take her back with let you keep her a while longer. And what a PRECIOUS face.......she looks like a real charmer. Bless you for taking such good care of her and wanting to make sure she is ready to adopt people. Keep us posted on how she is doing. The New Orleans Kitties
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Still have a question about the tip of the nipple she swallowed.. She's seems fine right now .. In fact she's on the floor right now going crazy between the kitty string and her ball. I'm just worried that when she finally decided to poop it out she's going to get it lodged in her rectum. Any idea's on this problem?
    edited 6 June, 2009
    Well mischief doesn't get her name for nothng. She has regressed back to the baba only.. She is suppose to go up for adoption today.. not sure what this lady is going to say.. probably going to take her back
    edited 7 June, 2009
    I went up adoption today.. I got a fre looks, but no applications, so i get stay with my mommy for another week. I finally ate real food tonight. My mom mixed with a little of my milk and warmed. She had to coax me a bit, but I ate quite a bit.
    edited 8 June, 2009
    Ooooo Mischief... I think maybe you're trying to convince your meowmy that you will only eat the big kitty food if she lets you stay with her. It's kind of like some kittens go into unsociable mode only when they know that there's a stranger come to look at them so they can take them home...
    edited 8 June, 2009
    Yay!! I'm eating regular food!!! I guess mom just had to be firm with me. I went up for adoption Saturday. I got a few looks, but no takers. Maybe I need to stay with my mewmy just a little bit longer.