Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

DH lost his job - need cheaper food quick!

Jessica HolbrookJessica Holbrook EvansvilleMember Posts: 38
edited 8 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
My husband just lost his job. We have been feeding our kitty Flakes food that costs about $50/month. We need to bring it down to like $10/month. DH is working a temp job making $900/month and he was making $1800/month so we need to downsize and quick! Any suggestions? I love my kitty and I want to feed him the best but it's gonna be tough for awhile.

Comments

• Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 1 June, 2009
    There are a couple threads on this topic further down - go back a couple months even. :) But I can say I\'d recommend something like Taste of the Wild. It\'s grain free and runs me 9.99 for a 5lb bag. I get it at a feed and tackle store, but I think it might be at Petsmart/Petco, too. For one kitty, this lasts me about 5-6 weeks (although Isabelle does get a small serving of wet at night, so might not eat quite as much dry as another kitty). Shadow has a list of gluten free wet foods, too, that you can try (cheaper stuff). Good luck! =;
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 1 June, 2009
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 1 June, 2009
    Click Click Raw can be really cheap too.
  • Jessica HolbrookJessica Holbrook EvansvilleMember Posts: 38
    edited 2 June, 2009
    I'm thinking that we're going to go for Taste of the Wild, which we can get locally at $26 for a 15 pound bag. According to my calculations, we can feed half a cup per day for 130 days. That's 4 and a half months. I might have miscalculated but I think I'm not too far off. That would make our cat food budget about $6 a month. I could squeeze in a few cans of food per week. Does that sound okay?
  • Sharon DaltonSharon Dalton Member Posts: 3,728
    edited 2 June, 2009
    Hi, Flakes My mom feeds us Taste of the Wild, and we like it. Your mom was smart to buy the 15-pound bag, as it's much cheaper. That lasts the 4 of us almost 3 weeks, so it should last you well past a month. My mom, too, ran into financial trouble (has to sell her house), so cost was a consideration with us, too. Good luck!!
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    edited 2 June, 2009
    The only advice I can offer is that I might not jump on buying that 15 pound bag until you are sure that he will eat it. I have not been concerned with cost (although I should be) but my cats have turned up their noses at several high quality brands that I have offered them lately. I am trying to switch to an all life stages formula (like Innova) so I won\'t have to continue to mix in kitten food for my 7 month old and new kitten and can still feed them all at once. But they have vetoed 3 choices already, preferring the most expensive Royal Canin that they were used to. $26 for a 15 pound bag is no bargain if he won\'t eat it. Also make sure you start out by mixing the new food in gradually with his old food so he won\'t get sick.
    edited 2 June, 2009
    I also wanted to add that I can\'t believe how good the ingredients are on the Taste of the Wild for such a low price. I am impressed! I had never heard of it so I went to their website and if you need to cut costs, I am amazed at the good stuff that is in it and the bad stuff that is NOT in it.
    edited 2 June, 2009
    We went ahead and bought the big bag after I talked to my mom and she agreed to buy the bag from me if Flakes didn't like it. We brought the bag home, opened it, and Flakes ran over and started rubbing all over my legs as I was scooping out his portion of food for the morning. He gobbled it up in less than 20 minutes. He was eating so fast that I was afraid he was going to choke on it. I think I'm going to start feeding smaller portions throughout the day so he doesn't eat so fast. I'm SO glad that he liked it though!
    edited 2 June, 2009
    "Also make sure you start out by mixing the new food in gradually with his old food so he won't get sick." Flakes has never had a problem with changing food. His first owner fed him whatever she could afford and that meant changing food all the thing. My mom was his second owner and she also changed up his food every once in awhile. Flakes has adapted well to changing food. That being said, I'll keep an eye on him to make sure his behavior or appearance doesn't change but I think he'll be okay to just jump right in.
    edited 3 June, 2009
    That\'s good news that he likes it. I wish mine were so adaptable! Spoiled little princesses that they are. LOL And it\'s great that he is ok with food changes. Often they will get smelly diarrhea from sudden changes in food. Nothing serious. Just a little tummy upset that they get over quickly but mine have long hair so diarrhea is to be avoided at all times. ;)
    edited 3 June, 2009
    Flakes is just happy that he gets his food all to himself. When my mom had him, he was with 2 other cats. They would fight him for food and stress him out. He's SO much happier now and he'll take whatever I give him. I love my kitty. :^:
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 June, 2009
    One thing I'd recommend with buying larger bags is make sure to keep it sealed in a moisture-proof container so that it doesn't get stale too quickly or attract insects. Glad to hear you like your new food, Flakes! =;
    edited 3 June, 2009
    Glad you like the food, Flakes! :) I got Isabelle a little bag of new food for a change, and even though I mixed it in her regular food, she ate every last morsel! She's not picky with dry food either, it's the wet that keeps me guessing all the time. :))
  • April FarleyApril Farley Member Posts: 221
    edited 3 June, 2009
    I would also second the airtight container. We got one at Wal-Mart for around $8-10, mommy has one us and one for the chickens too.
  • Mary ComminsMary Commins AntiochMember Posts: 55,502
    edited 3 June, 2009
    I have the 5 cats and 2 Saint Bernards and a Beagle and with starting my new pet sitting business money has been kinda tight even with husband working. Thank God he has a good job that pays well! Anyhoo I have been on a quest to find good food for a cheaper price. The Saints were eating Solid Gold Wolf King, 33# for $56, the Beag eats Wellness Core at 12# for $33 and the final straw was buying a 5# bag of Wellness for the cats at $19.95! I finally came across a company at a pet expo here, got samples, had a nutritionist look at the ingredients and it is much more in my budget! 20# for the dog and cat foods is $36 with free delivery. The cats food is chicken and rice and the dogs is salmon and sweet tater and they all love it! Next ill be the 40 # bags for $56. Its called Natures Select and if anyone would like the website addy please just pmail me!
    edited 4 June, 2009
    We're on the hunt for a good airtight container for the food. For now, I have the top of the bag rolled down and tape up and it's in the closet. Hopefully it doesn't go stale before we go to Target tomorrow. The only problem I see with this food is that Flakes always seems hungry after we feed him. I'm not sure if it's because he can smell the food or because we're giving him very small portions but he gobbles up his food and then begs for more. I'm giving him 1/8 cup 4 times a day. Any suggestions on what to do? PS: Another added perk of this food - Flakes is drinking WAY more water! We had to fill up his bowl yesterday morning and last night.
  • Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Hi Flakes! Just wanted to say that I am glad you like your food! Mom considered getting TOTW for us but decided to go with Wellness Core instead. We too are pretty easy going with food changes.
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Hey Flakes - could you introduce a meal of wet food each day, to help fill you up? Even a small meal might make the difference. Isabelle gets half a 3 oz can each evening and she pretty much doesn\'t ask for food again until morning (although she is really easy going about her food - not terribly concerned about it). :)
    edited 4 June, 2009
    We are watching cost and calories for Flakes. He weighs 11 pounds and I don't think he should gain any weight. We are feeding him ~200 calories per day. I think I'm going to add another 1/8 cup (50-ish calories) per day. He shouldn't gain any weight (at least not a lot) and the big bag should still last 4 months or so.
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 4 June, 2009
    I would say your best bet is to go raw. You may save money in the short run on dry food, but even \"good\" dry food is going to cost you money at the vet\'s later. Dry food is just not species appropriate for cats. I\'m sorry about your husband losing his job. :(
    edited 5 June, 2009
    I do plan on going raw whenever my husband gets a better job. I know that it's better for cats in the long run. I really don't appreciate you jumping in on my thread and telling me this, though. If you read through the Raw Food Diet forums, you'd see that I have a thread there. I was planning on starting Flakes on a raw diet right before my husband lost his job.
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 5 June, 2009
    Hi, Flakes. Sorry to have upset you. I do visit the Raw Forum with relative frequency, but I do not recall having seen you there. The only reason I mentioned raw is because it is a more affordable option than canned food. In your original post you did not say what you were feeding, only what it cost per month, and honestly it did not occur to me that you would even approach $50 per month for raw on one cat. I am guessing you were using pre-made? In any case, my intent was to assist, as your post requested. I hope things are better for you and your family soon.
    edited 5 June, 2009
    I hadn't started raw yet. I was getting ready to transition him to raw after doing a few tests to see how he reacted to ground turkey. He loved it so I was going to start him on raw as soon as I could get a grinder/food processor. Well, DH lost his job and now we can't afford that. Whenever he gets a better job or my birthday rolls around (whichever comes first) and I can get a food processor/grinder, I'm going to switch Flakes to raw. Sorry I came off so rude earlier. I was just a bit on edge. Being broke stinks.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 5 June, 2009
    I have a suggestion for the always hungry thing. Hobie does this, acts like he's perpetually starving. We switched him to fewer meals a day and it helped tremendously. With the four small meals he may never truly feel full, it's just like if you ate a bunch of 100 calorie packs every day instead of a meal. Also, if you're feeding dry and concerned about his weight you can make him work for his food! Petco and other stores sell these little balls that you can put food in and then when the cat rolls it around the food falls out of a hole. They're only a few dollars for two of the balls. We also like to hide Hobie's food. We'll put it in the cat tree, or in a hallway, essentially we just make him hunt for it. Hope that helps!
    edited 5 June, 2009
    When we fed him 1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup at night, he threw it up because it was much more food than he was used to. He seems to be doing well on 1/8 cup 5 times a day. I will keep an eye out for those balls you were talking about though. We don't have a Petco in town but there's one about an hour away where my sister in law lives. That sounds like something my mom needs for her cat Garfield - he sits in front of the food bowl waiting for food everyday. He's nearly 20 pounds and I'm constantly trying to get my mom to feed him less or switch to wet but she doesn't think he's overweight. Her other cat Peaches is 9 pounds - go figure.
  • Carrie JohnsonCarrie Johnson Iowa CityMember Posts: 230
    edited 6 June, 2009
    random suggestion for a container to keep the food in- i'm not sure what kind of litter you use, but i bought one of those huge 40 pounds Fresh Steps litter boxes. When i used it up, i disinfected it and now it holds a lot of food! It's actually perfect. i'm sorry about your husband losing his job- i just lost mine too and am on a never -ending search for the best priced quality cat food for my babies!
    edited 6 June, 2009
    We went to Target yesterday and found a food container in the dog food aisle. It was $10 and it said that it would hold 10 pounds of food but we got ~15 pounds in there with a little room left. The big bag we're buying should fit. It's a nice little container because it's got a rubber seal on the inside to keep the food fresh. I'm glad I found it. We were just going to buy a rubbermaid tote. I was afraid that would let bugs in.
  • julie wallinjulie wallin knoxvilleMember Posts: 24,063 ✭✭
    edited 6 June, 2009
    At Target we found an airtight container with a free bag of Iams in it. The container holds up to 20 pounds of dry food.
    edited 6 June, 2009
    Darn, I wish they would have had that. I could've donated it. Oh well. I like the container we found.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 7 June, 2009
    Actually guys I have to say this that keeping dry kibble or wet food in plastic is not good, have you heard about BPA?? well its the smae for cats, as it is for humans. Just thought I'd let you know. Best container to keep it in is glass, or the original bag it came in.