Boiled Meat with Wet Food?

Christina MetzdorfChristina Metzdorf WorthingMember Posts: 47
edited 4 July, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
Hi there! I'm Loki, and new to the site! However the wealth of information on here is awesome, I'm loving it! Quick question, My mom here was advised to give me bits of boiled chicken or meat when I came home from a friend. She did this and I wont eat my food without it now! She's worried if this is okay, if too much plain boiled meat isnt good, is just fine, or what! (So far its just been dark chicken meat) Also I'm addicted to kitten milk! (I am 6 weeks old) Its been a long time since mom had a little itty bitty one and any advice would be great thanks!!

Comments

• Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
    edited 2 June, 2009
    Loki, Here is a great chart from a holistic vet. Click Me! Basically the boiled meat is fine as long as she gets enough nutrients from the canned. Think of it as extra protein, something cats NEED. If I were you I\'d make the chunks raw instead. It\'s easier and faster, and way more nutritious!! (Of course, it would be better if the canned food was grain-free.)
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Loki, I agree with Oscar. Nothing wrong with some extra meat, and raw would be better and more species-appropriate than cooked.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 4 June, 2009
    Is it okay to mix the raw with the wet though? I thought that was a no-no.
  • Christina MetzdorfChristina Metzdorf WorthingMember Posts: 47
    edited 5 June, 2009
    hey everyone, thanks for the response! ill definitly have to try raw sometime has anyone ever given their cat raw salmon? (thats whats on the human menu tonight mol) just wondered as mostly i read about chicken, beef, that sortve thing. Update: Loki stopped eating all together, he was fine poo wise, but just was NOT interested in the kitten food i offered him (Felix). I knew Felix isnt the greatest food in the UK, but its what his original owner had given him. So i did a bit of research and found a cat food called Natures Menu... which had 70% meat in it. I put a little bit down for him to taste this afternoon and he gobbled it up!! Anyone in the UK know this cat food and think its good? Its certainly gotten Loki's approval!=;
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 5 June, 2009
    I am concerned that Loki went home alone without a sibling at 6 weeks, it's a tad young for him to be away from his mom and siblings. It can't be undone though. At this stage, you just give him whatever he will eat (whether it's replacement milk, boiled meat, kitten food), as he's a growing little kitten. A lot of time being able to trace the ingredients on the back of the label is going to tell you lots about the quality of the food.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 5 June, 2009
    Loki I would limit any fish to once a week. Also I just checked the Natures menu web site, and looked at the ingredients. It seems they have more for dogs than cat? they only have treats and pouches for cats, and the pouches though they look good, have added sugars in them. I would email the company and ask them what these sugars are? Cats do not need sugar, and will raise their glycemic index.
  • Christina MetzdorfChristina Metzdorf WorthingMember Posts: 47
    edited 5 June, 2009
    ah okay shadow, good thought. its hard finding alot of variety where i live sadly, since he likes it i almost wish it was the best possible mol, but what can a girl do on a budget. as for him being 6 weeks old, yes it is very young. i had no idea he was so small when we went to look at him and his siblings. but it was either take him at 6 weeks or not at all because his owners were heading off to cyprus the moment they turned 6 weeks. so it wouldve happened one way or another (and being such a sweet white kitten he would have been sold im sure of it) ive been thinking of getting him another little kitty to play with, so he CAN get the socialization he needs, sadly i cant be anymore than a human mother to him but im trying the best i can.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 5 June, 2009
    We found Hobie in the woods at 4 weeks completely alone. I basically did what any other good mommy would and took him in as my own. I groomed him, bottle fed him, and wiped his little bum. I also worked hard to teach him what was good kitty behavior and what wasn't. He was never around any other cats. Today he is the best cat ever, very loving, and gets along well with everyone. So, it can be done as long as you're willing to put in the time and love. Good luck with your little cutie!
  • Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
    edited 6 June, 2009
    Mixing raw with canned is ok. Mixing raw with dry is a no-no.
  • Cecilia CretaroloCecilia Cretarolo PortlandMember Posts: 267
    edited 6 June, 2009
    Since Loki is so young, he might take to raw by itself pretty quickly. Of course, having some canned food on hand is a good idea if he decides he doesn't want to eat for whatever reason. Salmon for a single meal once a week should be fine. For long term feeding though, chicken, turkey, pork, and beef are good. You might also be able to find rabbit and other small game meats which would be closer to what he would eat if he was hunting for himself. If you have problems finding raw meats within your price range, try to find hunters and people that are cleaning out freezer burned meat for some freebies. Hunters have trim and organs from their kills that they'll be happy to get rid of and freezer burned meat is just fine to feed. If you want, you can trim off the really tough parts but it makes little difference.
  • Jordan SpivaJordan Spiva Los Angeles,CAMember Posts: 355
    edited 4 July, 2009
    Not boiled. how about hunks of raw meat with canned. Even better. Sprinkles enjoys it and it's great for their oral health since they massage their gums while chewing on a tough piece of meat. Sprinkles however makes it hard on me, she only eats red meats and ignores the cheaper chicken and turkey.