Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

...and they\\\'re playing with the box

terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
bought my cats a cat craft kitty starter kit- with cat cave, sisal scratching post, cat perch that revolves with mousies dangling provocatively-to replace their sisal scratcher that was damaged in the fire. well, except for a few desultory swipes at the dangling mousies, kaya & rhymon are ignoring the cave & perch...but they\'re having a ball with the BOX it came in.:-/ please tell me i didn\'t scrimp on groceries (gonna be a lot of PB&J eaten for the next couple of weeks) and spend a rotten hour putting this sucker together so they would have a lovely cardboard box to play with!:-/ (well, it wasn\'t a total loss. besides the FASCINATING box, there were two toys included-punchy ball on a spring and a sisal rattler with a feather-that seem to be big hits.=; but still...:-/ )

Comments

• Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 16 September, 2009
    Try sprinkling some catnip on the cat tower......that might help. But mine are the same way, they LOVE boxes. When we have an empty box that the copy paper comes in, I take both the box and cover home. They live to take turns sleeping in the cover and jumping in and out of the box....especially fun if you can scare one of your siblings......MOL....MOL... Just give them time, you should know those two love to tease you anyway..........and send photos when they get on it. Guess you have not found their hidden copy of "How To Make Your Human Worry?" .......its in Chapter 12 "New Toys"......"Ignore Them In Direct Proportion To How Much It Cost" The New Orleans Kitties.....
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    it was supposedly \'impregnated\' with catnip (gotta love seeing that verb on a cat toy box), but i suppose it wouldn\'t hurt to sprinkle some more--it actually came with a complementary bag of nip, so i could go crazy annointing it without dipping into their stash-because dipping into theirs would mean opening THAT cabinet, which immediately makes both of them go nuts because they know that treats and nip live in there. of course, so do the cat brushes, combs and deshedder...:)):)):)) cats are there to teach humility, i sometimes think. enchant, comfort, inspire...but also to teach humility.:^::^:
    the lovely little cat craft starter kit has been thoroughly dusted with catnip. the cats like to go over to it and get a contact high, but so far no one has set paw in cave or perch, and not a claw has explored the scratching post. :-/sigh.
  • Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    As soon as Mom took Toffy\'s new cat bed out of the box it was shipped in I jumped right inside the box. I do that all the time when we get new boxes. I used to have a few cardboard boxes (the ones the CD towers came in) as cat tunnels. And would you believe what happened as soon as I got out of the cat bed box? Toffy went in! And this box is only about 5 inches high. MOL! :))
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Kaya, use reverse psychology with them. Show them that the box is the coolest thing on earth, and pretend the new toy doesn't even exist. They will become alarmed at your approval of the box and zero in to the one thing you seem not to care anything about (the toy). Problem solved. :))
    boris-i will try that. i will talk to the box, and give the box a cat treat, and take pictures of the box...i want to love it, and squeeze it, and love it...honest, george, i\'m not gonna hurt it...i just want to love it, and squeeze it, and... rhymon will occasionally use the perch. got a picture of that, just so i had proof. but still...they\'re in love with the box, even though there is so much FREAKIN\' nip on the little tree, it looks like there\'s moss growing on it...:?
  • Cecilia CretaroloCecilia Cretarolo PortlandMember Posts: 267
    It takes time for cats to get used to a tree. It took Calypso and Adonis around a month to actually start using the one I have. Hermes had just come to me from a home with a huge cat tree so he knew exactly what to do with it. These days, it's a favorite hang out for all of them.
    %:D%help from an unanticipated corner!%:D% kitten in the picture is the newest member of the mystic michigan kitty krewe, still-kinda-feral kitten, jadyn-kaya & rhymon\'s little sisfur. now, she still seems to think i\'m satan incarnate unless i\'m in the saferoom or on the couch-at which times i am her furrriend and she plasters herself to me like a limpet. i\'m not sure if she doesn\'t recognize me standing up, or if i just scare her when i get \"tall\".:? (well, rhymon has been inside since i took her in as a two-month-old feral last august, and she still sometimes runs from me...i guess this is par for the feral course.) anyway, jadyn adopted the cat tree-which i call the cat \"shrub\", because it\'s not much more than 3 feet high, but it\'s better than nothing. (great, kaya just stuck her paw in my mashed potatoes...:-/) she was on the \"shrub\", and rhymon decided to, um, join her. much growling from jadyn, which was hilarious not only because she\'s so teeny, but because when she growls she sounds like a small puppy barking. this made rhymon...start playing with the mousies! now kaya is using the scratching post and regularly plays with the mousies, and has actually been on the perch once.%:D% question: is this why they call them \"copycats\"? or am i just getting the \"benefit\" of sibling rivalry?
    see me in my new forums pic. see me on the perch. i am now in this exact place whenever i am not eating, playing, sleeping or...you know.:r maybe i\'ll sleep on it sometime...but i like to really stretch out when i sleep, so maybe not. the perch is now mine.