Please Help need to switch kittens FROM raw

Rachel HicksRachel Hicks Littleton/DenverMember Posts: 23,738
edited 7 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
Please excuse the duplicate threads but so far none of the raw fed kitties seem to want to help. Here is the problem: Ok I'm really not sure where I should post this, but need help regardless. Mom has a friend at work who's cat had kittens about 4 weeks ago. The mother cat has developed this habit of catching rabbits & bringing them in the house. The rabbits have been getting progressivley bigger & she is now feeding her kittens some rabbit. In about 4 weeks he was planning on finding homes for these kittens but since homes for kittens is at a premium this time of year he feels (& mom agrees) that needing to serve fresh killed rabbit to your new kittens could be a real turn off to many pet owners. Any ideas? I'd greatly appreciate hearing them. Thanks!

Comments

• terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 7 June, 2009
    i think i answered this in raw, but i\'ll give it a shot here. thing is, i\'m not really an expert... he needs to make them all-indoor kitties for what i have in mind to really work, i think, since this momcat is such a dedicated hunter. keep them in, and offer them the canned food that looks more like meat. maybe later he can try them on dry kitten food or all stages food, but this might get her started. the point is getting them all on some sort of food that the average person will find simple and sustainable. i\'m not putting down raw food, it\'s healthy for cats when done correctly. i\'m worried about them getting parasitical infections or even tularemia from eating wild rabbits, though...so something needs to be done. if a future owner/family wants to put any of them on raw, that would be great...but the idea here is to make them adoptable, and that means they need to learn to eat cat food. wishing your friend luck, and purrs to him for taking in this family. |:|
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 7 June, 2009
    Yikes! I\'m a firm believer in feeding your cats the freshest and most natural food available, and I also believe in evolution, which means that if Thumper isn\'t smart enough to escape Fluffy, he probably deserves his fate. But yes, rehoming kittens who are used to rabbit could be a problem. You might try solving this problem with ELK, but kittens can be rather problematic when being denied foods that they are used to. In the meantime, I would recommend that the blood and guts be cleaned up before they dry. Blood can be removed from fabric, wallpaper, and such while it\'s still fresh, but can leave an unattractive stain if not tended to quickly. As for the guts, they will harden and then start to rot if not dealt with in a timely manner. If tomorrow isn\'t garbage pickup day, put the picked-over carcass in the freezer compartment of your refrigerator, and don\'t forget to put it out in time for the garbage trucks in the morning. We don\'t live in the U.S., but know that some towns have rather idiosyncratic garbage laws, such as \"grass cuttings from your lawn mower every third Thursday,\" so you might want to check this out with your local municipality.