Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

My Roommate is eating my food!

EEVA LEEVA L LOS ANGELESMember Posts: 7
edited 9 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
My roommate molie and I are each fed in separate rooms. This is for a good reason, molie eats my food. Even when he hasn't finish eating he runs to my food and pushes me out of the way to eat my food. After that i get discouraged to eat. He usually ends up eating all of it and hardly ever touches his. Sometimes he eats all his food and eats all of mine too. My owners have tried many different things and are having difficulties leaving food for me when they are gone. I think I am getting thinner because of this. Help!

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 8 June, 2009
    Hi Mina, can you shut the door of the room while they are being fed? Also what kind of food are you feeding? If you where to feed a high protein wet food then this will satisfy them more, and then may deter them from eating the others food.
  • Cecilia CretaroloCecilia Cretarolo PortlandMember Posts: 267
    edited 8 June, 2009
    This seems more like a jealously thing rather than a need for more food. I would suggest putting Mollie into a cat carrier with his food during meal times. He's got some serious food issues and needs to be separated from other cats when he eats.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 9 June, 2009
    Sounds like Hobie, he's obsessed with food and will even push the 100lbs puppy out of the way to steal his food. With the new kitten he'll push her away and sit on her while he eats her food. We've found that feeding everyone separate is a must. The dog eats in his crate, the kitten eats in her room, and Hobie eats in the hallway.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 9 June, 2009
    Reading Molie's story, it sounds like even though he was owned before, he was neglected for quite a while. That will definitely cause food insecurities in cats, so this is not just bullying, it's also him not believing that he will have more food available later. By all means feed the cats separately, but do feed them the same thing unless one of them has dietary issues. Have you tried putting Mina's food up high and put her right next to the food to show her "this is where you eat now"? Back when Boris was bullying kitten Gracie for food, I fed them not just separately, she got fed on the table, under my watchful eye. Whenever Boris would hop up and pester her, I would just pick him up and take him away from her. Eventually, though, they grew out of that dynamic (partly because Gracie is a big cat now, and she will give as good as she gets, plus she fights dirty ;)). They can eat in the same room now, but they do prefer eating about 2 feet away from one another. Since neither one of them ever finishes what's put in front of them, though, they end up halfheartedly switching bowls and stealing each other's food! :))! In your case, it might take a lot longer for Molie to relax about food. So my suggestion for you is that when you are out of town you get someone to watch the cats who is aware of the issues and who can monitor both of them until they are both finished eating. P.S. - Throughout Boris' bully period, mealtimes were scheduled so that humans could always be present. It was another lesson that Boris had to learn ("If you're a bully, you no longer get to keep your beloved 12 hour feeding schedule").
  • Cary RobertsCary Roberts DicksonMember Posts: 693
    edited 9 June, 2009
    hi mina :) due to the expense of stino being on script food, we decided to put our 2 other cats on a different food and feed them in another room. all 3 of them used to eat together, side by side. at first i put stino in the bathroom by himself. HE DID NOT LIKE THIS...and he wouldnt eat unless my husband or i stayed in the bathroom with him and he knew we weren't leaving. then we wisened up and put stino in the kitchen (where he is used to eating) and jake and sadie together in the bathroom (they don't seem to mind since they can keep each other company). this still isnt a perfect situation since we cant leave food out, so we are trying to feed 3 times a day instead of 2, as they wont eat ALL their food at one time. plus, i think stino is still not happy about eating by himself (plus, he wants to eat the other cats food) but he seems to be doing better in the kitchen. i think it just takes perseverance, patience, and creativity. i agree with some of the other responses as far as closing the doors and supervising them. i know cats can be sneaky especially when they love food...the grass is always greener on the other side! keep at it until you find something that works! good luck! another suggestion...are you able to take one of them in the bathroom or bedroom and close the door when you are getting ready in the morning? just a thought! there is a way...i trust you will find it! |^|
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 9 June, 2009
    Mine eat in their carriers, and nobody comes out, until everybody is done. Bumpurr didn't need to eat kitten food, and the kittens could not eat the adult food. Bumpurr gets a different amount, than the kittens would, and they have scheduled feedings. They know when its time, they jump right in their carriers. This is also a good way to teach them to load, and a good way to make sure each cat is getting the right amount, and/or if they are not eating. Best of luck. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D