TOTW and crystals

Cary RobertsCary Roberts DicksonMember Posts: 693
edited 13 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
hello everyone! we were wondering if anyone has had any experience/heard any stories of cats that have had crystals and been able to eat TOTW instead of prescription food. thanks! |^|

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 9 June, 2009
    Don't know what TOTW is, but been thru crystals twice. I did the research and changed alot of things. :D I feed a good quality grain free feed, low in salt. They get spring water instead of tap water. I increase their water intake to keep them flushed out, mix 1 teaspoon baby food, Gerber or Beechnut, chicken or turkey ONLY, with water, so it is like a broth. Use scoopable litter instead of clay litter and bedded deep, 6 inches, have as many cat boxes as cats, and pick the cat boxes every day. Got rid of the commottion in the household. Got off S/D and C/D. Read this link. http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php http://www.catinfo.org/ Best of luck. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Cary RobertsCary Roberts DicksonMember Posts: 693
    edited 9 June, 2009
    sorry...TOTW is Taste Of The Wild. it is grain free dry kibble. actually, they have wet too (which i know is ideal) but i would be switching to their dry... so what food do you feed? :) Thanks!
  • Cary RobertsCary Roberts DicksonMember Posts: 693
    edited 9 June, 2009
    after looking at the links i am assuming you feed raw? :)
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 9 June, 2009
    Stino we have been through the same thing with Crystals. Prescription food is not needed, it only causes other problems in the long run. Feeding an all wet diet of high protein grain free food is your best bet, or even a bit of Raw. Wellness grain free wet and Evo cat and kitten are some good brands. Here is a link to some really good info If you have Crystals you cannot feed dry food at all. http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 10 June, 2009
    Something else to consider: a water fountain. My cats have never had problems with not drinking enough water, but they definitely drink more if the water is fresh and keeps moving than if it just sits there (believe you me, we have been able to tell the difference when we've had to replace our fountain). Anyway, it can be something you should try in addition to feeding all wet (my cats eat wet food on a regular basis, Wellness Core the rest of the time, and they still drink about 8 oz of water apiece daily on top of that).
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 10 June, 2009
    I feed Blue Wilderness. Its grain free, low carbs and low in salt. It was a major project to find a quality food that Bumpurr would eat. And he will not eat any, of the quality wet foods. So once we found one, he would eat, my vet ran it past UC Davis. Raw was prob the next step, and we were running out of foods for him to try. So she doesn't want to mess with what works for him. Thats why I go the baby food route, to increase his water intake, and the kittens, so they don't have a prob. I also put extra bowls of spring water thru out the house, and they drink out of all of them. No more crystals, no more hair balls, no more throwing up. The pet fountain is an excellent idea, but for me, it was too expensive. I also had a bad experience with raw, per say. Bumpurr got sick at a show, well, from what he got into at the hotel, 5 hrs from home, called my vet, she told me what to watch for and what to do. Was riding with someone else and she feeds raw, and she had to stop, on the way home, in the middle of no where, at 9pm, and get some for her cat. She wanted to give some hamburger to Bumpurr, I said no. My vet was very upset that she would try and give him some hamburger, said I ran the risk of e-coli, and glad I knew not to give it to him. I have since learned, from some very nice raw people, that hamburger, is not, what raw people feed. And they were kind enough to explain what raw is, what they feed, and how it works. The others are right, wet is better, but Bumpurr won't eat it. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 12 June, 2009
    I agree with Shadow. You need canned food. Don't get me wrong, TOTW is a great food, just not for cats with urinary problems/ crystals/whatever.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 13 June, 2009
    Someone mentioned that TOTW also comes in canned, but it in fact does not. Or at least I have never seen the canned and the website has no mention of it. I'm wary of TOTW honestly, their formulas for dogs have inappropriate mineral content and when I asked if their food is ethoxyquin free they would not give me a straight answer.