Tender Vittles

Melissa MadsenMelissa Madsen Twin CitiesMember Posts: 881
edited 28 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
Why oh why did they go? My cats loved them but so did my dog. They were the perfect tenderness for them and I loved the snack size they came in I was at a gas station the other day and saw some, I was so excited!!! Then I saw they expired in 2005 and they were selling them still, that made me sick. Do you know if they ever will make them again?

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 13 June, 2009
    Lets hope they dont make them again, sorry but these treats are really bad for our kitty's they are full of preservatives and colors, and other nasty stuff. Thankfully there are better alternatives like Halo liv a littles and Wellness jerky treats. You want to look for treats that have meat in the first 3 ingredients. Here is a great site on feline nutrition, its called catinfo.org |^|
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 13 June, 2009
    We agree with Shadow. This food has terrible ingredients, let\'s hope they never make them again!
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 13 June, 2009
    Have you tried Halo Liv-a-Little treats? They\'re freeze dried meat (comes in chicken, salmon, beef, whitefish, and I think lamb). They are firm, but nothing like most processed cat treats. They break apart easily into small nuggets. Isabelle says they are _the thing_ and highly recommends them. ~a~ The container they come in lasts forever, so don\'t be discouraged by the price (and check online for better deals).
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 13 June, 2009
    Hi again, Sammy! We also love Liv-a-Littles freeze dried chicken treats - they are yummy. I also wanted to apologize if I offended anyone about my earlier Tender Vittles comment. We never want to be critical of someone else\'s food choices. Mom had a kitty when she was growing up who ate Tender Vittles when they were very popular and she remembers the beef flavor being bright red in color (red dye). We know so much more now about what makes a nutritious food for our pets, thank goodness!
  • ellen sklarellen sklar ExtonMember Posts: 256
    edited 13 June, 2009
    When my Mom was little her parents fed her kitty named Timmy Tender Vittles. Timmy ended up getting Feline Urological Syndrome because of the amount of magnesium ash in the food. My Mom's parents refused to have surgery done on poor Timmy but they did get some huge pills from the vet. My Mom had to hold her Timmy down while they force-fed him the pills, which really didn't help him at all. In the end, my Mom's step-dad took Timmy out to a field and shot him because he didn't want to spend any money on having Timmy put to sleep. Needless to say, my Mom was *very* glad they stopped making Tender Vittles!
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 13 June, 2009
    OMG! Arthur !!! that is horrible! Sounds like something my dad did when I was a kid.... I am so sorry you had to go through that. All of my cats love the Greenies cat treats and a lot of people here do not and I except that. I have never had any problems with them .
  • Aaron LeeAaron Lee SeattleMember Posts: 251
    edited 14 June, 2009
    On a related and lighter note...a friend of mine recently found and sent me a link to an early 1980's Tender Vittles commercial on youtube. My friend that sent it is kind of a petfood elitist and he described Tender Vittles (what his parents fed his cat when he was a little kid) as "Kitty Junkfood". He and his wife now feed a combo of raw and TikiCat/Weruva (same Thai factory I believe) the announcer's voice on this commercial makes me want to vomit!
  • Melissa MadsenMelissa Madsen Twin CitiesMember Posts: 881
    edited 21 June, 2009
    My cats have both passed so I no longer need cat treats but yes I know of liv a littles, they have them for dogs too. Problem is, they are very spendy for a single girl on a budget. I would love to buy them but for that small little jar its almost 14$. I never knew anything about bad ingredients in pet food until the recall a few years ago. I don't know if the bad treats I fed had to do with my cats dismise but I hope not. I would feel horrible. My dogs all ate whatever back then too but lately I have been really picky about what I feed them. Melissa
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 28 June, 2009
    i think we should all just quit raking this person over the coals for asking if they make these treats. they didnt ask if they were healthy or not.