For Beginners

Kristen LittleKristen Little Member Posts: 837
edited 14 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
Brief Background: Have been feeding commercial cat and dog food since we've had our pets. Most of my pets could eat dirt and glow. Spot, our new dog has been having serious issues so that got me into researching dog food. Now that I have a good handle on that, I am looking into better quality cat food. We have 3 cats and 2 are in need of a urinary formula, though not for crystals, just for the pH balancing. I know that with the dogs, I was able to do some research using www.dogfoodanalysis.com. But there is no catfoodanalysis.com.....or is there and I just don't know about it yet? Help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Comments

• Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 13 June, 2009
    Definetly look into feeding an all canned diet. If you can't afford all canned do at least partly canned. You can look into raw or homecooked if you want. Here are some good cat foods: Wellness Wellness Core Evo Natural Balance Nature's Variety Blue Buffalo Chicken Soup For The Cat Lover's Soul Taste Of The Wild (Kibble only) ... and many others
  • Kristen LittleKristen Little Member Posts: 837
    edited 13 June, 2009
    1st question: Why all canned? 2nd question: Will I need urinary supplements with the foods mentioned? or will the new food help with urinary issues?
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 13 June, 2009
    Here are some great sites for cat food. :D http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php http://www.catinfo.org/ I had crystal issues, and the first time was bad enough, after the second time, I did the research. What urinary issues do your cats have? People recommend all wet, because it gives the cat more water in their system, per say, which cats need the increased water intake, to keep them flushed out. They say cats don't have a strong thirst drive, don't drink enough water. Bumpurr won't eat any of the better quality wet foods, it was hard enough to get him to eat a quality dry food. I feed Blue Wilderness, its made by Blue Buffalo, its low in carbs and low in salt. I solved the increased water intake, and got rid of the crystals, by mixing one teaspoon of baby food, Beechnut or Gerber, chicken or turkey ONLY, with water, so it is the consistancy of a broth. They get this once a day. I also place several bowls of water thru out the house, and I use spring water, you can get a gallon of the store brand, for ballpark $1.20. I stopped using tap water, too many minerals in there. I no longer have crystals, throwing up or hairballs. Depending on what your cats urinary issues are, feeding a better quality food, and increasing the water intake, should solve that prob. Hope this helps and best of luck. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    edited 13 June, 2009
    She's on PurinaONE Special Care Urinary Formula...which if cat food is anything like the dog food forums on Dogster...I'm probably going to get an earfull lol. Gizmo started with her UTI's about 3 years ago. Or at least that's when I began noticing them. We had all the carpet taken out of our newly aquired house (which was gross from the previous owners pets). And installed hardwood floors. She began urinating on the bathroom rugs so there's no telling how long the issue had been going on poor girl. I took her to the vet and then about 6 months later it was back, cleared that up and 6 months later...vet visit again with xrays and ABO's. No stones, no crystals. Then it occured to me. I had changed her from regular food, to urinary food and then back to regular (when we added a new cat to the family). When she was on regular food, she would have a UTI. She's been on Urinary formula since January again and no issues since then. I can't really speak for what her urinary issues were before 3 years ago because she lived with my husband at his bachlor pad with his roomate and lived off tuna. You know college guys and their pet care skills lol. He loves her to death but this was his first cat and he didn't pay much attention to her urination habits or her food health except feeding Tuna and cuddling with her.=;
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 13 June, 2009
    Hi Gizmo well I will tell you right now, it was the Tuna that she used to eat that most likely started her problems. Here are the reasons Tuna is not good for cats. -Makes for a picky cat ( cats need a variety in diet) -Contains Mercury -high in mineral salts (this is what is bad for the cats urine) -high in polyunsaturated fats, which cats cannot metabolize. -Tuna in vegie oil takes vitamin E away from the cat I will also add that being on the Purina Urinary food will only cause other problems in the long run. I suggest that you switch to a high protein wet food, grain free(no dry) Try to find a food that does not have alot of potato or beets or fruit in it as this raises a cats gylcemic index. Our cats are obligate carnivores, they need meat. First 3 ingredients should be named meat. The site catinfo.org is a good site to start to read.
  • Cecilia CretaroloCecilia Cretarolo PortlandMember Posts: 267
    edited 14 June, 2009
    I have to agree with feeding wet only. At first, get the Friskies pate flavors since most cats can't resist Friskies. Then gradually mix in a higher quality food until that's all she's eating. The lower quality foods have salt, sugar, and grain fillers most of the time so even the wet food is far from healthy for them. Another thing, you should never have to feed as much as the directions say. If she's an indoor kitty who runs around for only a couple of hours a day, then she'll maybe need 3/4 of what's recommended. If a cat is a little on the chunky side, make it less. I'm about to start the transition from raw to canned (for cost and waste reasons) for Calypso and Hermes and have figured out that Calypso will only need around 6 ounces a day for weight loss and Hermes will only need a little more.
    edited 14 June, 2009
    Thanks ya\'ll! We have some of those brands at work, I just put Spot on Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul and the transformation has been amazing so far. I\'m very curious to see what happens when I put the cats on this new diet :)