Vitemins and Kittens

Jenny FirthJenny Firth ChicoMember Posts: 772
edited 18 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
I had a little starving kitten brought into my home and she has been fed into decent health but we were wondering if it helps kittens to give them the vitemins and minerals mentioned in articles and ads like taurine. Would it help out kitten in being healthy?

Comments

• Cecilia CretaroloCecilia Cretarolo PortlandMember Posts: 267
    edited 17 June, 2009
    There's really no need to give supplements if you feed a high quality food. My personal favorite is EVO but there are others that are around the same quality. If it's a big concern for you, it would be best to ask the vet. If they feel that a multivitamin is in order, you'll get the correct dosage information along with the comfort of knowing that you are giving a safe product.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 17 June, 2009
    Mine are show kittens, so they get vitamins, with my vets approval, and she said it was one of the better quality ones. :D Bumpurr and the kittens are fed Blue Wilderness, its a decent quality feed, maybe not one of the better ones, but had such a hard time, even getting Bumpurr to even eat one of the better quality feeds, once we found one, we stopped. My vet was concerned, if we kept going, and he wouldn't eat any of them, and came back to BW, he might refuse that one too. She was also concerned, with the constant switching of feeds, to find one, it would upset him or his system. Also had a horrible time, getting the kittens off their kitten food, to the adult food. She wanted them off the kitten food at 7 months, had diarea and throw up issues, so we waited another month. Got 1 week into the swithch over, and had issues again, but she said keep going, and now they are fine, so another reason, she wants to leave them where they are, and why they get vitamins too. As Hermes said, its best to talk to your vet, he/she can best tell you, as each cat and situation is different, and it depends on what you are feeding. Best of luck. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 18 June, 2009
    For a regular house kitty the only supplement I keep on hand is L-lysine. It's a great nutritional support for cats and helps keep their immune systems strong. Street rescue kitties tend to get a the snifflies a lot and the L-lysine always clears it right up. You can order it off of amazon.com for much cheaper than the vet carries it. It's official name is Viralys.
  • Jenny FirthJenny Firth ChicoMember Posts: 772
    edited 18 June, 2009
    Thanks for the help. We'll look into it:D