Keeps trying to eat plastic?

Katina JacobsonKatina Jacobson SoldotnaMember Posts: 2,302
edited 19 June, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
Ive noticed lately, that Tyger has been trying harder and harder to eat plastic. Its always thin plastic like from packaging? does anyone know what could cause her to want to do this?? We have a roll of painters plastic(from painting our duplex) and some plastic packaging on our wood laminate boxes that she will not leave alone. Right now she is on half and half Orijen dry kibble and wet wellness canned. Only because I cant afford to do full canned and I am working on getting together everything I need to do homemade(because I cant get her to eat raw I might as well try that). Any ideas why she would eat plastic? Is it just a cat thing or could she has some sort of deficiency?? We free feed so shes getting fed enough. She never over eats and if anything that would be a good thing because she could probably use to gain a lb.

Comments

• ellen sklarellen sklar ExtonMember Posts: 256
    edited 18 June, 2009
    I *love* to eat plastic, especially shopping bags or packaging! I've tried to explain to me Mom what a tasty treat it is, but she says it will make me sick and she won't let me eat any. She puts as much plastic as she can in closets so I can't get at it, but whatever she leaves out she sprays with something called Bitter Apple that tastes *awful*. That usually keeps me from eating the plastic. Mika and Molly like to lick plastic, but not eat it.
  • Aaron LeeAaron Lee SeattleMember Posts: 251
    edited 19 June, 2009
    Matty does that constantly with thin plastic grocery bags, I have to keep them away from where she has easy access, or she'd chew on them all day long! No matter how well I hide them, she finds a way to chew them. I think she may like the way it feels on her gums, like plant matter or something...