Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Siamese with chronic diarrhea on Natural Balance Low Calorie dry food...HELP??

Ashley LaRueAshley LaRue San AntonioMember Posts: 16
edited 7 November, 2009 in Food & Nutrition
Okay so I\'ve had my siamese for about 4 or 5 months now, and he\'s had loose stool and/or diarrhea the whole time. I\'ve had him on Natural Balance Low Calorie formula because I also have a fat Siamese and they don\'t get much exercise. There are no biproducts or gluten in it, and its all natural. I had him eating canned food once a day sometimes, and it was all natural and bi-product/gluten free. But he hasn\'t had that in a month. Why is he having diarrhea???

Comments

• Kerri ZimmermanKerri Zimmerman WinnipegMember Posts: 448
    edited 30 June, 2009
    First off has the vet ruled out any parasites etc. Has he did test to see if he has IBD? Your cats stomach may be sensitive to the grains /fillers and many other ingredients in this pet food. I looked it up online and there are a ton of species inappropriate ingredients in the dry calorie control line of Natural balance. You may have to try the limited ingredients line. I would never feed what is recommended on a cat food label as it is way to big of a portion for most cats. Please see this article about half way down the page it speaks about label recommendations (copy & paste into your browser)http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/catweight.html My male cat Bishop has had diarrhea problems for years and the vet would feed him Royal Canin Sensitivity or Medical Hypoallergenic. But his diarrhea always returned. He'd pump medications into him and the diarrhea would still return. After years and years of this diarrhea problem I finally put Bishop on a raw food diet and his diarrhea has cleared up and NOT returned. If I have to feed him a canned food I feed him a grainfree canned food with very few ingredients in it. And he does fine. EVo 95% meats are a good one. Some cats are allergic to ingredients in the canned food like the carrageenan or guam. The limited ingredients line of Natural Balance is grainfree..... Because your cat is overweight does not mean you have to feed them calorie control food. I have two overweight cats and one I feed a strictly raw diet. And the other I feed grainfree/filler free canned cat food. I weigh their food every day to make sure they are getting the right amount. I also weigh them each once a week to make sure that both of them are not losing weight too quickly (if a cat loses weight too quickly they can become very sick) or gaining any weight. the rule of thumb is for a cat to lose .2lb to .4lb every two weeks. Both my cats are losing weight at a very slow speed which I am happy with.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 30 June, 2009
    Echo steel I will agree with what Bishop says =; Wellness grain free wet food and Evo wet food may be some options for you to try out. A good site to read is catinfo.org
    edited 30 June, 2009
    Hi Shadow, Can you give the poster the calculation for calculating the calories her cats each need a day? This may help her with figuring out how much to feed her cats. Each cat will most likely be fed different amounts. Thanks!
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    edited 1 July, 2009
    Im not sure if you have gone to the vet to see if there is a underlying heath issue thats causing this or anything. But Stella and Sasha both have been having the same type of thing they were on go natural grain free. Which is a awesome food equaly so to EVO similar type of food really. But I think it was to muchprotein or to rich for them or maybe just not enough fiber I dont really know. I took them off their canned food and gave them NOW grain free which is good food still and not as high in protein though and has more fiber. We switched and almost right away BAM stool was perfect! So a few weeks after I started giving them their canned food again with the kibble and they have been knock on wood awesome! A bonus to is Stella hasnt been getting her hair ball remedy and doesnt need it no hairballs since on this food! I think its just sometimes a matter of finding that food that works for you. NOW might not work for you but it is designed to help cats with sensitive tummies and digestion issues and maybe thats why its working. Im happy though cause it got so bad Stella couldnt even make it to the litter. So maybe worth a shot to get a sample bag. http://www.petcurean.com
  • Ashley LaRueAshley LaRue San AntonioMember Posts: 16
    edited 23 August, 2009
    Okay, time for an update. I put him on a round of panacur (wormer) because my mom reminded he hadn\'t been wormed since we\'d adopted him, and it wouldn\'t hurt him even if there weren\'t any worms, and switched both my cats to Wellness Healthy Weight food. Apparently that did the trick, because his BMs are normal now! :) He still won\'t bury them, and stinks up the whole house, but that\'s a cat for you. Lol. Occasionally they are a little loose, but I\'d say about 90% of the time, they\'re normal. I rarely give him canned food anymore because he\'s getting a bit of a tummy, but when he does get some, he gets half of a BLUE spa can (he likes salmon) or half of a Wellness Healthy Indulgence pouch. (he likes the gravy in any of the flavors...both my cats are like that)
    edited 23 August, 2009
    Bishop never really covers his stools either. In the past when he had loose stools/diarrhea on vet prescribed food it was absolutely atrocious smelling. I was so disgusted by the smell and that he never covered his poops. But now that he eats a raw diet and his stools are perfect there is little to no smell. It is so much better now when he does not cover his stools..... Be careful because fish is high on the allergen list with cats =;
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 5 September, 2009
    Hobie will dig in his litter box for 30 minutes and when I lift the lid his poo is STILL not buried. That just seems to be a cat thing...
  • Karen ParsonsKaren Parsons GriffithMember Posts: 821
    edited 2 November, 2009
    Put my Siamese on Natural Balance, vet is prescribing stool hardener and wants me to go back to Science Diet but upgrade to Nature's Variety or whatever their top of the line is or Wellness...says she doesn't like Natural Balance...ugh..
  • Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
    edited 2 November, 2009
    FYI, canned food is better to lose weight with because it is higher in protein and lower in carbs! It's called the "Catkins" diet. Wellness is a good food, but the grain free canned is the best of them all (not Core, the other one). Raw is also good. Oscar has diarrhea on everything except raw food. After clearing up the diarrhea on raw (Nature's Variety), he could eat grain free canned Wellness too.
  • Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
    edited 2 November, 2009
    Minka, you shouldn't need a "stool hardener," is that something the vet wants to sell you? Just put her on grain free Wellness or nature's variety Instinct! And maybe a small table spoon of canned pumpkin mixed into it. Also a pinch of a human probiotic wouldn't hurt either. Non domestic breeds are notorious for having sensitive tummies.
  • Mary LaniganMary Lanigan Sherrill, NYMember Posts: 6
    edited 7 November, 2009
    My kitten Mikey had some issues with loose stools too that stunk to high heaven. As soon as I started him on Nature\'s Variety frozen raw chicken medallions it cleared up almost immediately. I just thaw 3-4 medallions a day. Each medallion is 1 ounce. I give him 1- 2 in the AM with his Wellness kitten food and 1-2 in the evening. He absolutely loves them. I was glad when a local pet food store started offering them. The smell is not even noticeable now!