Crybabies question

Marta GasperMarta Gasper FairburyMember Posts: 636
edited 5 August, 2009 in Kitten Corner
Mom does rescue but hasn't had a litter this young; abt 2 weeks or less. Kittens are very cranky and she has trouble adjusting her bottle giving to her naps; I mean is it OK to wake up the babies when they are asleep but it is their feeding time? They are four orphans, skinny, love the bottle but after nursing and all they'll cry and cry or take a ityybitty nap and cry some more. When is time 4 feeding they are sound asleep..what do you think? No vets on weekends here so it'll be Mo before she can take them to be checked. They are dehydrated she was hoping that with the formula they'd hold until Mo. She'll try some Karo, is it light or dark? And/or sugar water with a dropper. Thank-you!

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 2 August, 2009
    I have no experience with newborns, but found this link for you. One thing it does say, which I never knew, was that kittens need to be burped, after being bottle fed. That may be why they are crying. :D http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2138&aid=912 The others on here, can prob give you even better advise, best of luck with the kittens, and thank you for taking them in. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    edited 2 August, 2009
    Is it possible that they are still hungry? The tiny ones I've had didn't seem to be that vocal, but they had their mum with them, so I might have just been less aware of it. I know you said the vets are closed, is there a shelter or rescue group you could call? I'm sure there would be somewhere there who could give you some better advice, or may even know someone who could have a look at them. Good luck :)
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 3 August, 2009
    They probably need their little behinds scrubbed with a washcloth as well (not too hard, but not nearly as gently as you would think--Momcat's tongue is rough!) to stimulate them to have a BM. I think I would just feed when they cry; they wouldn't naturally be on any schedule, and hungry kitties do make it known! Obviously, keep up with how much food each baby gets, and if one isn't keeping up with the others, it might need extra feedings even if it isn't being loud.
  • Camille KnutsonCamille Knutson Member Posts: 100
    edited 5 August, 2009
    I was just going to say that they probably need help going to the potty since they are so small...just don't feather their behinds too hard! Also, burping is huge...I wait for Niblet to give me two or three good burps before I put him back down. Please keep us posted as to how the Cry Babies are doing...inquiring kitties want to know!