Help W 5 Week Old Kitten

Anita BrechlerAnita Brechler Boulder CityMember Posts: 51
edited 6 August, 2009 in Kitten Corner
I rescued this little kitten and need to know if they know how to potty by themselves in a liter box? I put her in the box and she immediately climbs out. She acts like to needs to potty but nothing happens. I have heard that small kittens needs their genitalia needs to be stimulated in ordder to hep them potty. We have done that with a warm cloth and nothing.... And about feeding, I've also tried the baby bottle w kitten milk mix. She doesn't want to drink from it. She runs around crying...Please any help appreciated.

Comments

• Anita BrechlerAnita Brechler Boulder CityMember Posts: 51
    edited 3 August, 2009
    Finally.... it took some work and some time, but we got her to potty! Also she had some water and a tiny bit of kitten milk mix. There is HOPE after all!!!!!
  • nati bastidasnati bastidas CaliMember Posts: 470 ✭✭
    edited 3 August, 2009
    OMC you are sooo cute!!!!!!
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 3 August, 2009
    Here is a link on young kitten care, bless you for taking in this kitten, and glad you got her to go potty and eat something. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D http://www.peteducation.com/category.cfm?c=1+2138
  • Holly WareHolly Ware BirminghamMember Posts: 1,316
    edited 4 August, 2009
    At 5 weeks, this kitty should be perfectly capable of eating mushed up kitten food and water, and toiletting by herself. It will just take a little patience if she hasn't had those things yet. My foster kittens are 3 weeks and can already drink from a bowl, are investigating mushed up food and one of them had their first wee in a litter tray today. If she'll take the kitten milk then cool, but try to get some kitten food and mush it up for her, milk is just not a good enough complete diet any more. As for the tray, just keep putting her there, with my kittens in the past I have picked them up mid wee and put them in the tray to finish, it's messy but they learn quick.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 4 August, 2009
    How I taught my kittens, was there was already a wet spot in there, they could smell it, they got the idea. :D
  • Camille KnutsonCamille Knutson Member Posts: 100
    edited 5 August, 2009
    We're in the same boat...Niblet came to us this past Saturday from a neighbor who's son snitched the baby from a barn he was doing some work in for his two little sisters - age 5 and 7 (waaaaaaay too young to take care of the kitten). So, now kitten is living with us permanently and is happy...and apparently, my husband put him in the little litter pan this morning and he did both of his businesses on his own with no help from either of us! They do pick it up quick...what we did was just let him sit in the litter tray and play around a bit, instinct kicks in and their little paws just start dig dig digging...it may take a few times but they catch on really quick and will start going on their own. Now little Niblet gets out of bed on his own at night, hops into the pan, buries his deposits, and then hops back into bed. This has all happened in the last 24 hours and it's a HUGE relief to not have to worry about feathering his little bottom and trying to get him to 'go'. Keep us posted!
  • Anita BrechlerAnita Brechler Boulder CityMember Posts: 51
    edited 6 August, 2009
    Hey all you guys,thanks for all your help. Update: It's day 3 for the little kitten and she goes to potty all by herself, eating kitty milk soaked dry food and drinking water. We were getting worried having her crying all the time.........But things are looking brighter as each new day arrives! She is a Persian and Himalayan mix just like Truffles. But her features look more Persian. I'm not sure as to if we will keep her, but I had to give her a name. I will try to post a picture of Fiona on Truffles's home page. I also need to tell you guys, before I rescued Fiona, I helped another kitten two weeks ago (age aprox 10-12 weeks). We got Dexter from an apartment overrun with kitty's! Dexter was so skinny I could feel his ribs. His eyes were crossed and mucus filled. Administered amoxicellin, eye ointment and proper diet. He's doing wonderful now. Dexter's eyes aren't crossed anymore, I think he just needed nourishment and love. Has a wonderful personality. His coloring is white with black spots. Just a Rompin Stompin Fat Fur Ball!! CUTE!!!!!! Reminds me of a cow, LOL. Watch for the pictures of Fiona and Dexter Thanks again for your help! I think I'm getting the knack down of helping the kitty's. Problem is I tend to fall in love with them.... Truffles Meowmy