Is it cruel to lock kitten in closet?

Kay BrophyKay Brophy Member Posts: 45
edited 19 August, 2009 in Kitten Corner
Kitten = 4 months old. Closet = approx. 4' x 3'. Please allow me to explain. Shortly after Gadget arrived at our house she hurt her foot. We were instructed (by vet) to keep her quiet, and not allow her to jump on anything. Hard to do that with a kitten, so we made a nursery in the closet for her, for when we were unable to supervise her. We have been shutting her in every night since (leg is healed). ***Edit* ONLY AT NIGHT. Gadget does not live inside the closet. She is there while we sleep only. SIX hours a night typically.*** Why not give her free range, you ask? Well, we've tried that and she torments us and our older cat, who truly values his nightly snuggle time with mom & dad. We could just shut her out of the bedroom, but then she cries at the door for a good half-hour. She cries in the closet also, but it's harder to hear her, so we can still sleep :r . Also, the older cat doesn't really appreciate being locked in the bedroom all night--sometimes he likes to wander around. If we had a spare bedroom we would put her there, but we don't (apartment). The closet has a window with a sill that she can sit on to look out. Both cats hang out in the closet sometimes, of their own free will. We of course leave her plenty of toys. Still, I realize that it's a small space and it seems a little mean to me. The closet already has two very secure shelves high on the wall-- I am thinking that we could install some cat shelves, throw in a scratching post and perhaps it would be quite comfortable. What do you think? Here's proof that they really do hang out in there of their own free will (hardly glamorous, but they ARE cats): http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww256/ogdred/IMG_0483.jpg

Comments

• JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 August, 2009
    Is there ample airflow in there for the cat? And cool enough in summer weather?
  • Kay BrophyKay Brophy Member Posts: 45
    edited 4 August, 2009
    The window is always left a crack open. When it's too warm both cats get locked in the bedroom with us, as it has the portable A/C unit.
  • Holly WareHolly Ware BirminghamMember Posts: 1,316
    edited 4 August, 2009
    What is your long term plan with this kitten? Is she to live her life in this closet? Or is there a cut off point? A few months? A year? And how do you plan to teach her to live with people if she grows up in a cupboard? How will she learn not to scratch? Or how to play with you? I understand if you feel like you and your older cat are not as ready for the kitten as you supposed, but in that case, maybe she's better off in a new home?
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 4 August, 2009
    I agree with Kaidan. Keeping her closed up in a closet is not a long term solution. She has to learn not to torment the older cat, and that teaching has to be done by the older cat himself. I know he seems put upon and annoyed, but honestly, in the long run having the two of them work things out will be for the best (trust me on this, Gracie started out living with us as a very high energy 9 week old kitten, and she had to learn not to pester Boris every time she wanted to play, which she eventually did). You (the humans) also need to be playing with her to get her to channel her energy in that, rather than in pestering her older brother cat. She's just a little kitten, and she wants play and stimulation. Closing her up in a closet so you don't have to listen to her cry for it is not a good solution for everyone involved.
    edited 4 August, 2009
    I appreciate your honest responses. First I want to make sure I have not misrepresented the situation. ***Gadget does NOT live inside the closet (which is also not a cupboard)--she is in there AT NIGHT ONLY.*** I\'m terribly embarrassed that I did not make this clear, and will edit my OP to include it. She plays with us and with the other cat every day, and is a well adjusted kitten. Her veterinarian always comments on how relaxed and confident she is. She has had no problems adjusting to the household--she doesn\'t scratch the furniture, doesn\'t bite us, etc. Her only real behavior problem occurs at night when she refuses to leave the other cat alone. Obviously I am concerned about the ethicacy (not truly a word I don\'t believe but you get my meaning) of putting her in the closet at night--that is why I asked for input. I do want to make clear, however, that Gadget is not an abused or neglected kitten. She is QUITE loved and we will not be getting rid of her. Gracie, It is your opinion that we should let the two cats sort it out, then? Usually they are very good friends, but when she gets in her moods she is truly relentless. Gizmo (the adult cat) is a very passive fellow--he will hiss and occasionally bat at her but generally he just runs away, which only eggs her on. She is clearly trying to play with him, but I don\'t want him to feel intimidated at night, nor do I want to send the message to her that she can bully him and we will simply ignore it. I will admit that this is basically my first kitten, so I\'m a little fuzzy as to what is ordinary playing and what is overly aggressive--all I have to go off of is how Gizmo reacts.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 4 August, 2009
    She is behaving like a normal kitten. She wants to play, and Gizmo is it. If nobody is crying, then they are just playing, and they will play rough, it looks like they are killing each other, mol. My kittens run thru the house at warp speed, sometimes knocking Bumpurr down in the stampeed. They jump on each other and rassel hard, and body slam each other. When Bumpurr was a kitten, he ran thru the other cats, like they were bumper cars, ran right into them, knocked them down. Anytime there is a new cat or kitten, brought into the household, there is a reshuffling of the pecking order, Bumpurr quickly rose to head man, mol, and he still is. Smokey can't be bothered with the little whippersnappers, mol, they try and play with her, she smacks them and walks away. Gizmo was an only child, now he has to share his mommy and daddy, with a new baby, his nose is prob a little out of joint. Or if there are other cats in the household, the pecking order will get re-shuffled. I agree with Gracie, you need to let them interact, and work it out. Let the kitten come in the bedroom with her new parents, and her new brother Gizmo. Gizmo will have to learn to share, and the bed is big enough, they can each find their places to sleep. Bumpurr sleeps on my pillow, well, sometimes on my head, he taught the kittens, their place, is at the bottom of the bed, where they think its cool anyhow, because they get to play with mommy's feets under the covers. I applaud you, for having the courage to put up this post, asking for help, and knowing you might get ragged on, which actually everybody was pretty good. We all had to learn, what we know now, and there is no shame in asking for help, or to learn something new. Best of luck with the new kitten. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    edited 4 August, 2009
    Right, this may sound cruel, but it is nature. Leave them together, 24/7, Gizmo will either get annoyed with Gadget and swipe at him, or he'll accept Gadget and start to play. I have a 7 month old puppy and 18 month old littermate cats, the puppy can have his moments where he annoys the cats massively, and they hold it for a while, they realise he is a baby, but if he goes too far they hiss and swipe, no claws, just a 'back off', over time he has understood that this means 'leave us alone' and actually takes himself away. Which is a big task for a hyper puppy. But then again, sometimes they join his dog games, chasing and throwing him balls. If you want a happy house, you have to let this happen, even if they need to fight it out a bit.
    edited 4 August, 2009
    How long do you expect it to take before she learns when to leave him alone? We've had her for about two months now. Gizmo is not actually possessive of the bed or anything else. Like I said, they are usually friendly--they snuggle, groom, and yes they play and wrestle. Gizmo is very tolerant, and in a way I think that's part of the problem. I will admit that part of my concern is based on an experience I had when I was younger. My family took in an orphan kitten, who became fast friends with our adult cat. They used to get on wonderfully, but the kitten began acting very dominant towards the adult. My parents never intervened, expecting that it would sort itself out. Now that kitten is grown up, and he tortures the original cat. Is this so rare that I just shouldn't worry about it? At what point do I intervene? Never? The message I seem to be getting is that I shouldn't be keeping her out of the bedroom at night at all. Is it not fairly typical to keep kittens out of the bedroom at night? Surely I've heard of many people experiencing similar problems with their kittens. If the cat doesn't allow sleep to occur, you can't just opt out of sleeping. It's quite distressing to listen to our other cat being chased around the house growling and hissing. Who could sleep with that?
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 4 August, 2009
    Gadget personally I would let the sort it out themselves, put ear plugs in so you can sleep if you have to. Nature will take its course, I wouldnt worry about it. Putting your kitty in this closet is not teaching it anything it may be doing more harm than good. This is my opinion anyhow. Also if you have food in that closet, cats really dont like their food, or sleeping bed so close to their litter box.
    edited 4 August, 2009
    I did mean let them be with each other 24/7. She has to learn to leave him alone without human intervention. That means that when you sleep, Gizmo needs to make her back off. I believe right now Oscar is being polite in telling her to back off. Eventually, if she persists in chasing him, he will likely change his tactics and stand his ground. I would let him, even if he is much bigger than she is. As Bumpurr correctly pointed out, as long as no one is crying, nothing bad is happening. That said, what do you do when the two interact during the day? Do you remove her if she's pestering him? Or do you remove him? Make sure she's always the one who is removed, that will reinforce that Oscar is the boss. Also, always feed Oscar first, pet him first, etc. This shows her that there is a pecking order (and I don't know about Oscar, but my cat Boris would pester me if I dared try to pet Gracie first, and just now got to the point where he tolerates not being the first cat we interact with) that you follow and that she should too. Gracie learned that Boris is boss pretty well. She looks for permission to eat from him to this day, and they've lived together for a whole year. At this point where Boris has established himself the alpha cat, even if I feed her/pet her first, it's with the understanding that Boris lets it happen. :-$
  • nati bastidasnati bastidas CaliMember Posts: 470 ✭✭
    edited 4 August, 2009
    I think you should let them work it out but I wouldnt be so harsh as some other posters , I know kittens can nerve wrecking sometimes and if you have to work... I would associate it with a puppy being put in a crate at night. And crates are probably waaaay samller than the closet. Maybe on the weekend or some thing you could let them sort it out , sometime when can sleep late the next morning just in case they make loads of noise. Be sure to tire her out with toys first though. Good luck! purrs, michis
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 August, 2009
    I think the closet nursery is an excellent idea. Food, toys, litterbox, shelves to jump up to, and a scratching post in a large space is way more than shelter cats have. It's only over night and it's better than adult dogs that are crated. And during the day Gadget can learn how to interact with Gizmo under your supervision. Gadget needs lots of play (with you) to tire her out, especially if she plays hard just before bedtime. Maybe you can time it so that she zonks out just as you're ready to go to sleep, eventually training her while she's growing up. Gizmo needs some free time away from her and to be able to cuddle with you, while he and you train Gadget during the day.
  • Holly MoyerHolly Moyer Schuylkill HavenMember Posts: 36
    edited 4 August, 2009
    We had the same problem, with Emily chasing Belle and Sebastian all night long. On the bed. Off the bed. On the bed. Off the bed. On Meowmy's face. On Daddy's face. Etc. All the time, making as much noise as felinely possible. Finally, we decided just to shut the bedroom door at night and lock everyone out. Sebastian loved his bed-with-Meowmy-and-Daddy time too, but seriously, it was lock everyone out or Meowmy goes nuts from lack of sleep. Sebastian cried for awhile, but got over it, and we make sure to have individual time with each of the cats so no one feels neglected. We figure that when Emily grows up a bit, she'll stop with the chasing thing at night and maybe we'll give them the option of sleeping on the bed. It took about a month for the pecking order to be figured out in our house. In fact, I think Belle and Emily are still working it out, but Sebastian is definitely alpha cat. Sebastian and Emily had difficulties adjusting to each other, it took about two weeks for him to even stay in the same room as her. He would hiss and run away and occasionally swat at her. Now he only swats when she's too rough or annoying but otherwise they love each other. The way I figure it, she didn't really have a Momcat to train her, so someone's gotta teach her how to be a proper cat. Eventually, they'll figure it out and your nights will be peaceful again. But until then, maybe it's a good idea to lock both cats out of the bedroom so you can get some sleep and they can figure out who's boss. Playing with her right before bed is a great idea though, and I should try that. Concatulations on your new kitten!
    edited 4 August, 2009
    Gracie, We definitely let Gizmo stand his ground--he just doesn't do it often. He typically fights back for a moment or two and when that doesn't work he starts running away. He isn't what I'd call "much bigger" than her--this is a small, docile persian that we're talking about. (Although, I should say that Gizmo CAN stand his ground when it comes to humans :-/ ... apparently a four pound kitten is more intimidating than us.) Surprisingly, during the day they don't seem to have issues. When they do start getting rough I wait to intervene until it seems needed; ie when he starts giving her signals and she ignores them, resulting in him just running away and trying to hide. I do make sure to remove her, not him. Usually I place her in timeout (in the bedroom, not the closet) for a couple minutes. We also do feed Gizmo first, and make sure she sees this. I've never really paid attention to who I pet first, but I will start to do that. michi and Athena, Thanks for the understanding. I also likened it to crating a puppy. At the same time I've never actually had a puppy to crate, so I don't know... maybe that practice is inappropriate, as well. Either way, she is not going in the closet anymore. I feel badly that I've been doing something which could get such negative responses. Tonight we will let her have the living room and try keeping Gizmo in our room. I realize that is not exactly what everyone has suggested, but if she keeps everyone awake again I'm afraid my boyfriend might kill her :-O (joking, obviously). Emily, You have a good point. If this plan doesn't work then I might try your suggestion of locking them both out. I'm not sure if my boyfriend could even sleep without his cat though (Gizmo, that is) :))
    edited 5 August, 2009
    Alright, so letting Gadget have run of the house but locking her out of the bedroom is NOT going to work. She was even louder and more frantic at the bedroom door than she is inside the closet. She wasn\'t \"crying\"; she was YOWLING and throwing herself against the door. Our neighbors\' bedroom is right below ours and the apartment is poorly insulated, so I\'m sure she woke them :r . After a while we gave up and let her in the bedroom. She was slightly less rambunctious, probably on account of the fact that I played her into exhaustion before bed. She still chased Gizmo off the bed and annoyed him all night, though. It doesn\'t seem like either of them slept at all, and she never got his \"leave me alone\" messages because she was still harassing him this morning. Will be picking up some earplugs today :-/ .
  • Camille KnutsonCamille Knutson Member Posts: 100
    edited 5 August, 2009
    Hi Gadget...trust me...your nights will eventually become more peaceful. Kittens are most active at night and eventually a pecking order will be established and your two kids will be able to co-habitate the same space at night, like they do in the day. I would go to Petco, where the Pet's go, and get a larger carry crate OR just deck out the bathroom so your kitten can be in there with a little night instead of the dark closet...nobody likes it when the closet door is closed on them and they are stuck inside, in the dark...all alone. It's like a bad kitty horror movie...what's going to happen next - let me outta' here! :) When we brought Luigi home, we kept him in the bathroom so the girls could get used to his smell under the door. We started gradually letting him out for a while after lights out - just staying awake to observe what was happening and intervene when necessary. When he got too wild and crazy, back into the bathroom he went. He didn't like it but his smart little kitten brain finally started putting two and two together and things calmed down and we could eventually just leave him out all night. The only reason we put him in the bathroom was because he got into EVERYTHING while we were sleeping and was hell on wheels for the girls -who are MUCH older and didn't like their beauty rest being disturbed. Of course, everything looks much more exciting in the dark when you have no parental supervision, and cats are really no different than kids in that respect when they are unsupervised. He ripped around climbing and touching and knocking over everything, chewing up toilet paper and all that, while we were trying to sleep. This is just what they do...pecking order and all. Now we've got a tiny 4-5 week old kitten (Niblet) in our house that we're trying to keep alive and healthy and the process will be repeated once more. Try the bathroom if you must, but I would forego the closet all together. Like I said, who likes a dark closet. Just remember, if you do use the bathroom instead of the closet, make sure you get some baby locks for your cabinets and make sure that any chemicals/soaps /etc. are well out of reach (or removed) and make sure there is a snuggly place to sleep and lots of things to keep kitty busy - and water and food (if you free feed). I'm sure your kitten will be a lot happier in the bathroom but you will have to listen to some pretty sad meowing for a little while or just put up with a few weeks of nocturnal rambunction. :)
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 5 August, 2009
    Ear plugs will work just give it time ,that is the key. I went through the same thing with my 2 cats. Cats are nocturnal, they like to play around a night, but they will soon get the idea that it is bed time for you.=;
    edited 5 August, 2009
    I appreciate the responses and encouragement :) Luigi, We actually used the bathroom when we first brought her home, but in our case the closet works better. It has a window (a regular sized window, not an itsy bitsy one) so it isn\'t any darker than the rest of the house at night. Our bathroom isn\'t much larger, and she doesn\'t seem to like it in there as much (partially, I believe, due to the fact that the bathroom window is relatively inaccessible). Additionally, the closet is located off the living room and we always keep the door open during the day so it is like an extension of the living space. I like your idea of letting her out in the dark but staying awake to supervise for a while. I might try that this weekend.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 5 August, 2009
    The closet doesn't sound so horrible to me, either. I think everyone is overlooking the fact that it does have a window, it's not a regular old dark closet. And, she doesn't have to have food in there, it's only overnight! Meowma used to put me in her itty bitty third bedroom that isn't as big as some walk in closets when I was new--it took me nearly a year to adjust with the already present cat and stop really beating him down if no one was there to stop me. So, every time Meowma left to go to work, I had to go in there. And I'm just fine; in fact the "cat jail" is now MY room, and I beg to be brushed and petted in there every day!
    edited 5 August, 2009
    You kinda have a bunch of different issues going on, and they all intertwine, and each one, compounds the other. :D 1. Gadget is a 4 month kitten. She is behaving, exactly, as a kitten would. She wants to play and rassel, and all she has to play with, is Gizmo. That isn't going to change, in the near future, my kittens are 11 months old, and they run and play and rip and tear thru the house, like crazy boys. But...... they have each other to play with. And......Bumpurr keeps them grounded. He is head man, he is in charge, he lets them know it, he will body slam them, when they get too bad, per say. 2. Gizmo does not stand up to Gadget, he does not teach her, he does not keep her grounded, so she is kinda like a kid running wild, with no kitty adult supervision, per say, to teach her. That doesn't appear that, that is going to change either. 3. So right away, you have 2 seperate situations, that are not going to change. 4. Whatever you decide to do, it is very important, you stick to it. They are cats/kittens, that have to learn manners, per say, and do, and be put, where you want them, and they have to accept that. Never, never give in to their demands, you are the parent, just like you would not give in to a child, throwing a temper tantrum. Never, never reward bad behavior. That teaches them, if they act up, they get their way. When my mare was a 2 yr old, got to the show grounds, unloaded all my stuff, takes a good hour to set it up, she stayed in the trailer. She hated it. She was fine as long as the trailer was moving, pitched a fit, when it stood still. Got that trailer really rockin. People would ask, aren't you going to take her out? Why I ask? She isn't going anywhere, and she isn't going to hurt herself, she is throwing a temper tantrum, and if I take her out, that teaches her, if she acts up, she gets what she wants. When you teach a horse to load, you better get that horse, in the trailer, because, if he acts up, and you give up, you will never get him loaded again. You just taught him, if he doesn't want to do it, and he acts up, you will give up, he gets his way, that is rewarding negative behavior. 5. Make a decision, where you want Gizmo and Gadget at night, then put them there. If its letting them both in the bedroom at night, and they rassel, let them do it, they will have to work it out themselves. As long as nobody is crying, they are fine. If you want Gadget in a carrier or cage at night, and she crys, then let her cry, she is not in danger, she is not sick, she is not going to hurt herself. She will soon learn, that, that is where she is going to stay, until her parents let her out, and she will stop getting upset. Just make sure she has a catbox and water and toys and soft blankets or towels, make it comfortable for her. When I brought my kittens home at 8 weeks, when I had to go to work, they stayed in the carrier for 2 weeks. Ya they cried, ya they got upset, but, where they going? They are not going anywhere, they can't get out, and they can't hurt themselfs. After 2 weeks, they were confined to the bedroom at night. They rasseld like crazy boys, I just let them. After awhile, they accepted it, and knew bedtime, was bedtime. Bumpurr scratched the door to come in, and cried, I let him, he soon learned, he wasn't coming in the bedroom at night. When they were all adjusted, they now all sleep, on the bed, Bumpurr on my pillow, where he belongs, and is his right, as head man, and he deligated the kittens, to the bottom of the bed, and they learned, thats where they sleep. So, just accept the 2 situations, that are not going to change in the near future. Decide, where you want them, at night, put them there, and keep them there, do not give in to their demands. My kittens ride 5 hours, one way to shows, some are 6-7 hours one way. They sleep the whole way. They have learned, where ever they get put, thats where they get put, and accept it. Best of luck with Gadget, I really don't think Gizmo hates her, or is afraid of her, all those very cute pictures of them, tell the story, they like each other. If Gadget shoots to head man, then she now becomes head man, Gizmo will just have to accept it. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D =;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;
    edited 5 August, 2009
    It's not the worst thing in the world for Gizmo not to be top cat. As long as Gadget does not torment him (and batting at him and nipping is not tormenting when it comes to a little kitten and a big kitten... Tormenting basically means that Gizmo would find a spot to be in and become afraid to move least the other cat started beating up on him), just let her play with him. You might see Gizmo running away from her as him being upset, but Gadget sees it as part of the game. It's up to Gizmo to just put his foot down. Or not... Really, you just gotta let the whole thing take its course. Another consideration is that given their great difference in age, Gadget might need to have a kitten companion that is closer to her in age, and ditto with Gizmo. Whether this means that you should adopt a second kitten or find a home for Gadget where she can have another young cat to play with is entirely up to you. I do agree with Bumpurr that whatever you ultimately do or don't is to be consistent. Don't try everything all at once. Try something, and give it a couple of weeks to see if it works. If it does, good. If not, try something else for a few weeks.
  • dianne dolandianne dolan BentonMember Posts: 206
    edited 5 August, 2009
    i lived in a city so when i adopted a stray cat she was brought in into the house and stayed there. no more going out i have another cat so yes they had to do their getting use to and they still smack each other sometimes. now i live in the country. now she goes out. for three years she never acted like she went into heat.( unless there is a large scar you pay the same for a spay to find out because they have to operate. ) well just when i was really getting worried about her look she gave me 4 kittens. they are now over a year and its kitten crazy. my kittens go in the basement at night. during the day they are playing outside or coming in the house, catching things you would think they would get tired. you say you have a window in your closet well it can't be to small. i feel your pain. h but reality your closet sounds bigger than my brother's room when i was growing up. i'm not going to say there are worse scenarios because this doesn't sound cruel . eventually they slow down. (i hope)
  • edited 6 August, 2009
    I don't think that the closet sounds that bad. :? It sounds pretty nice. I wish my closet had a window. :)) And in some cases if you can't watch the kitten and keep her away I think it is best to put them in a different area and seperate them. I know Gracie is saying let it run its course, but Storm used to basically do the same thing to Peppy. And he stressed out Peppy like crazy because of this. And she was too old to really do anything about it. He was younger and stronger. And getting another kitten sounds like a good idea, but I don't think that just because she is having some issues with her kitten right now it is a reason to say that maybe she should give her away.
    edited 6 August, 2009
    Bumpurr, You are absolutely right about the need for consistency. I am glad that you have reminded me of this. I know, obviously, how crucial it is to be consistent when training animals--sometimes, though, I just need a reminder. We got some earplugs and turned on a fan to drown out their noise. There was still a ruckus but my boyfriend, at least, was not woken up by it. It was also a slight improvement in that EVENTUALLY both cats did actually settle down on the bed (snuggling with each other, even). Hurray for small victories. Gracie, I have considered another kitten for Gadget. My boyfriend has quite plainly vetoed the idea, and I don't blame him; we can afford the cats we have. They get high quality food, lots of new toys, regular vet visits, grooming in the summer, and so far we've been able to cope with unexpected costs. However, kittens are quite expensive and we don't have a lot of disposable income. If we got another kitten and the unexpected happened we could have a hard time trying to pay for it. I think I've mentioned before, that Gadget will not be rehomed. Hiccups like this are common when bringing a new animal into the home. Gadget is not unhappy; she gets a LOT of attention and is very relaxed. She would certainly enjoy a kitten companion, but I think it's unreasonable to say that kittens should only come in pairs. If it is ever necessary for the wellness of the animals to rehome them, I will do that. However I do not take pet ownership lightly, so it will certainly take more than a couple of rough nights to toss out what I consider to be part of my family. When we took Gadget in we were not just trying her on for size. She is extremely attached to me (as well as the other members of the house), and I to her. Peppy, Thank you for the support. I REALLY appreciate it. For the time being the closet will remain open to them, but I think we're going to try keeping her out at night for a while. If I begin to see any sort of overall change in Gizmo we'll have to rethink the plan. I also see that Peppy is no longer with you. My condolences.
    edited 6 August, 2009
    Good for you, Gadget's mom. I just mentioned that those were some options because (a) those are viable options depending on the particulars of any given situation, and (b) I don't believe in stigmatizing anyone who has to re-home a pet if it is for the well being of that pet (been there, done that, btw). I guess my point was that if (and only if) Gadget just terrorizes Gizmo and nothing you do helps, that might be what you have to do. I didn't mean to imply you were anywhere near there yet. You still have a long way to go, and I'm glad you're keeping level headed about it (while I don't believe in rehoming pets for a human's convenience, I also don't think you do them any favors in keeping them when it causes them and you stress, so I am particularly pleased that you did mention that you would consider it if it was the best choice for their health and well being =D>).
    edited 6 August, 2009
    Yipeeeee!! Glad its starting to come together, it just takes time. Guess I gotta cut down on my icons, mol, sorry about that. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Kerri ZimmermanKerri Zimmerman WinnipegMember Posts: 448
    edited 8 August, 2009
    You are very lucky..... It sounds like your two cats have a good relationship. And Gadget is a healthy happy kitten. Doing what a kitten does at night....PLAY (because cats are nocturnal). Gadget WILL grow out of it but not for a while. And I wouldn't worry too much about her bugging the older cat. When my male cat Bishop was a kitten (up to 6 months) we lived at home with my parents. They had a few resident cats. One male cat was 22 years old. Bishop loved wrestling with him and jumping on his back (trying to show his dominant side :)):))). Minto let Bishop get away with alot but when he got on his nerves too much he finally would swat him and walk away. And of course Bishop being a kitten fell down but would get back up and chase him down. Then the next thing I would see is them laying on the floor cuddling.... From what you have said this sounds like normal kitten behaviour and the older cat is just at a calmer stage in its life....not as rambunctious. No need to lock Gadget up for being a kitten :?
    edited 9 August, 2009
    Gadget, just to say, my cats loved each other as kittens, and I totally support having kitten pairs 100%, but now my cats are older, I don't think they're bothered, sometimes they interact, but mostly they live their own lives. In other words, only get a second kitten if you want one!
  • Camille KnutsonCamille Knutson Member Posts: 100
    edited 11 August, 2009
    It sounds like things are coming along! Yay!! After reading everything, maybe an idea would be to get a cat stand or some sort of perch that will allow access to looking out of the window...sounds like a pretty nice closet to me so I don't know what he's making so many squeaks about ! LOL! It also sounds like your babies have great parents that really care about them! If every one of us little furfaces were so lucky!! :) My Meowmie and Pappi are slowly introducing me to the others now...Miss Shmeekie sometimes lets me sit by her, but I can't touch her and she told me that I could sit there as long as I left her alone. Luigi looks at me like I'm a rare bug under a microscope...after a few minutes he walks away like he's disgusted and sometimes hisses at me...which isn't very nice. They know that nights in the future will be a challenge again once I'm out and about on my own but all good things take time...right? Keep us posted!!!
    edited 12 August, 2009
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I just wanted to give you all a quick update. Gadget has had access to the entire house since I posted last. Now that she's used to it she isn't such a terror at night. We still have to wear earplugs and turn on the bedroom fan to drown her out, but the last couple nights I've heard her playing BY HERSELF while Gizmo slept on the bed (huge accomplishment). She still harasses him, but it's not as often and he seems less upset by it. Apparently letting them sort it out really was the way to go. Also, she is now our very own spider patrol. We've had a bit of a spider problem lately, and boyfriend and I are both scared of spiders. Anyways, the other night Gadget woke me up jumping on the bed. It looked like she was trying to climb the wall, so I turned on the light and sure enough: HUGE spider right above where I was sleeping ::o . It could have eaten me! A couple days prior to that she also found a spider in the shoes! If she hadn't caught it I surely would have lost a toe. So, as long as she continues to police the apartment for arachnids we will tolerate the boisterousness =; .