the kittens are coming!

Carrie JohnsonCarrie Johnson Iowa CityMember Posts: 230
edited 25 September, 2009 in Kitten Corner
i am fostering a pregnant kitty and she was taken to the vet today and the vet said the kittens are due ANY SECOND :) i thought i had this under control, but now i amm freaking out!! i'm so nervous. any any annny advice would help

Comments

• Carrie JohnsonCarrie Johnson Iowa CityMember Posts: 230
    edited 12 August, 2009
    anyone? help please
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 August, 2009
    Are you fostering for an animal shelter? Maybe someone there can make themselves available if you need to phone. Did you ask the vet if you could call any time? Sorry, but I can't help with birthing instructions. Maybe someone else will post.
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 12 August, 2009
    Good luck with the birth! My mom would say to have a little quiet place (maybe in a closet or bathroom or extra room for her to have her kittens set up beforehand. Like a shallow box with a towel--maybe two towels! The towel will need to be replaced after the birth. Cats will do fine on their own, but sometimes they need a little help. Mom has delivered a couple of litters of kittens and one litter of puppies. Mom would tell you some stories about what she had to do, but she doesn't want to make you nervous! |:||:|
  • DONNA KELLY-BIRCHDONNA KELLY-BIRCH kenoshaMember Posts: 1,018
    edited 13 August, 2009
    Do you have her in a cage?? Is she at least confined to her own room? If she is in a cage, you are OK. Like others said, just put down some rag towels or even newspaper in the cage. She may even have them in the litterbox, so make sure you keep that clean. Clay litter is better right now for her than scoopable if she is caged so it doesn\'t get all over the babies. If she is confined to a room, (and she should be at the least), get a large cardboard box, line it with the towels/newspaper, and get her accquainted with it. She may not end up having them there, but it is where you can put them when she is done. She may go under the bed, in a dark closet, on top of the bed, etc. She is almost guaranteed to move them when they are 1-2 wks. old, so be prepared for that. If you don\'t want them under a bed you have to block off the space. Closets a no? - keep the door shut. I made one Mama I fostered happy by putting them in a larger cat/dog carrier when she started moving them. It was still dark and private enough for her but I still had access to make sure they were OK. I am going to send you an invite to our group - Foster Families Forever - as we have several links on the group page about cat pregnancy and birth. I could go on and on about what you may need to have and do in case something goes wrong (and we totally pray it doesn\'t) but it would be easier if you read it yourself. Most of the time everything goes fine, especially if the Mama has done it before. Good Luck to you, please let us know if we can help further, and keep us posted on the happy event. ;P
    edited 13 August, 2009
    We forgot to add. Before anyone thinks we\'re cruel or something, the carrier we put the Mama/babies in had the door off so Mama could come and go. Eventually the babies tottled out and we made them a nest in the corner out of fluffy blankets, with the pan right there to avoid accidents. I believe they still went on the carpet though - they all pretty much did. It is best to confine the babies to a larger cage or small space until they get the hang of the box. But I am getting a little ahead of you here....
    edited 13 August, 2009
    thanks so much for your reponses, everyone, everything helps- i don't have her in a cage, but i am keeping her and Panda seperate. Panda is staying in my bedroom and Juno can walk through the living room and bathroom. I live in a small apartment so i dont have an extra room to keep her. I have a large cardboard box out for her with towels and a large crate with towels too. She really likes cupboards too and i really don't want her to have them in the cupboards but she always finds a way to open them!! i'm thinking about switching Juno to the bedroom and Panda in the living room, is there any chance she'd give birth on my bed? and also, some people tell me i need to help clean the babies after their born and some tell me not to touch them for a few days because mother might reject them. suggestions please? :)
    edited 13 August, 2009
    Ha, Ha, I open cupboards too!!:)) Just get the nail in there just right and POP. It\'s probably better to put the Mama in your bedroom so you can keep her more confined and can keep an eye on her at night. And yes, she may have them on your bed. Especially if she starts sleeping with you there or is a real friendly cat. Friendly cats like to be with you and on your stuff. We had 2 give birth on the bed in the spare room. Mama layed down with them both while they had them. Of course, we had an old comforter on the bed and put towels on that once labor started. One had her\'s in the bathroom with Mama laying on the floor. Mama came home late one night, kitty announced she was in labor, and there was no way she wanted to be put back in a cage. So Mama took pity on her and let her have them in the bathroom on an old towel. One had her\'s under the bed in the spare room early in the a.m. while Mama was still sleeping. The rest were caged and had no choice. Mama\'s do a very decent job of cleaning up after themselves. Once she is done, there may be only a tiny amount of blood on the towels. You do not need to rush to change the towels unless you can do it without disturbing them too much. You may want to layer towels and just get the top one out from under her. She may also bleed a little for a few days. This is normal, but may stain the towels a little more. If the Mama is very friendly, we may hold the babies for a very brief time after a couple days or so. You need to play this by ear though. If the babies start screeching (which they usually do) and Mama gets upset, you may not want to do this much. Mama\'s are very protective of their babies. Mama has had very friendly Mama\'s who wanted her there for the birth take babies out of her lap or hand and take them back to the \"nest\". If you have any more questions, let us know. Everything always works out in the end, so relax a little and enjoy the process. :-h
    edited 13 August, 2009
    thank you, quincy. i feel good about this. and i'm super excited. One last question (that i can think of now) how long should i wait until i introduce Panda and my other cats to the kittens? also, what about children? I want them to be socialized with children so i will bring my nieces over. they are gentle with animals, but what would be an appropriate age. thank you everyone! ill keep you updated and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go to my website http://www.angeljuno.moonfruit.com/ its about Juno and adopting cats!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 13 August, 2009
    Juno, you want to wait for Panda to meet the kittens until they are mobile and steady on their little legs. That means you should wait until they are 3-4 weeks old at least. Always supervise all visits the kittens have, and keep them short. A new cat and/or little girls can seem fun for a little kitten, but the experience can get pretty overwhelming. Panda might also not realize how much bigger she is than the kittens, so with her especially you will have to keep a very vigilant eye. She might not even want anything to do with the kittens at first, especially if she's shown little interest in kittens before (is she the Panda whose brother Peanut lives somewhere else because she doesn't like sharing her human?) Also depending on what kind of mom you turn out to be, you might not like the idea of having your kitten taken away from you for a minute one bit, at least when they are tiny so if you're reticent to have your kittens be handled by little kids or be pawed at by another cat, your human mom will have to wait a few more weeks.
    edited 13 August, 2009
    hi gracie- yes it is the Panda who lives at a different house than Peanut. for some reason, she hates kittens but not adult cats. She actually warmed up to Juno very fast. But i am definitly going to supervise every meeting she has with the babies. :) thanks for the advice
    edited 14 August, 2009
    Are you fostering for a shelter or is this just a cat you took in?? If you are with a shelter, they may have their own rules for mixing a foster with \"resident\" cats. We do not mix until they are adoptable at 9 wks. because by then they have had distemper shots, been wormed, and have a leukemia test. I also would not just let your cat in the room with the Mama and babies. Mama\'s are notorious for protecting babies, and you will probably have a big cat fight on your hands. :-O As for kids, maybe they could begin gently holding them around 4 wks. or so when the babies get a little bigger and more mobile. They are still pretty tiny and slow at 4 wks., but by 6 wks. they usually can run and play with toys better. Good Luck, Have Fun, Keep us posted!!
    edited 14 August, 2009
    i am fostering for a shelter- the only rules they have about resident cats is that they are up to date on shots and tested for everything and my cats are healthy :) i'm SUPER excited for the kittens to be here!!!
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 14 August, 2009
    How exciting - keep us posted. My experience with kittens and birthing is to keep them separated for 4-6 weeks in a quiet place. After a while when mommy feels they are safe she will leave them for short periods of time. Keep us posted.;c;;c;;c;;c;
    edited 14 August, 2009
    You may need to help clean the babies if the mom needs help. When Aphrodite had her first two kittens (Gimli and Pippin--I kept Gimli and Pippin (female) went to live with a co-worker/friend), everything went fine. Aphrodite was so small at 7 pounds. She meowed at my apartment door at 5 pm wanting to come inside. She had Gimli at 5:55 pm. Pippin was born at 6:55 pm. Boots (he went to a co-worker) came next and he was born breach. All of a sudden I looked down and there was a kitten with the sac broken with his head stuck in. So I had to pull him out. Boots was born at 7:55 pm. K.C. came next at 9 pm. Aphrodite was so tired by this time, I had to tear open the sac and clean K.C. and get her breathing. I guess it depends on the cat if she lets you touch the kittens. Aphrodite had no problem with my touching her kittens. I had already taken in one of her kittens from her first litter that was born outside (Kahlan). Kahlan hissed at the new kittens at first, but she helped take care of them.
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 14 August, 2009
    Yeah! So glad I found this thread. This sounds like fun. MOL I\'ve never experienced whelping puppies or kittens, but I do talk about it with my friends all the time. Juno I don\'t want to steel this thread, but I just have some questions. 1. How big are the kittens when they first come out of mama? 2. What do they look like? 3. When will they start to walk? 4. Is it possible for Mama to only have one? 5. How come in some cases not all of them make it? 6. Why would mama reject them sometimes? Wow Juno I\'m excited for you. If anybody has a cat about to have kittens, let me know and I\'ll come over and watch. MOL just kidding, wouldn\'t want to add any stress to the situation by having a total stranger in the audience, MOL MOL. Keep us posted Juno.
    edited 14 August, 2009
    Hi Nina! There are lots of pics in my photobook taken right after I was born! I guess mom would say we were about 5 or 6 inches long when we were born??? In the first week, kittens double their weight. When mom picked me up underneath, she felt how stocky I was and she knew I was gonna be a big cat! She didn't know that K.C. was gonna be big too! Our brother Boots is average-sized and our sister Pippin is the smallest! It takes up to 4-5 years for Manx cats to reach their full size, so Pippin is gaining on us a little bit! Pippin's mom says that now Pippin is starting to get that Manx shape. Yes, cats can only give birth to only one kitten.
    edited 15 August, 2009
    oh thanks for the responses everyone. i'm soooo anxious and i want the day to come so bad. i have one question. i haven't asked because i was scared the answer may be bad... Juno is very young. the shelter guessed that she was in her first heat cycle or early one. does this mean the babies are less likely to make it? since she is probably not fully developed. i have been feeding her quality food and she is eating well and looking good, so i think she is getting enough nutrients i'm just scared since she is so young :/ i'm honestly so attached to this cat. i want to adopt her SO bad after i am done fostering but i already have three cats and two rabbits and that would just be so unrealistic and too many...i already get teary eyed when i think about her not being here. or even worse living in a shelter. has anyone else fostered and gone through this?
    edited 15 August, 2009
    Hi Nina :-h I have tried to answer your questions twice, and both times I have hit some key on the computer that deleted everything I typed. So I will give you the short version. 1. Kittens are around 4 ozs. at birth. 2. They look like gerbils :-O Eyes closed, tiny elf ears close to the head, lack of fur on feet. Cute but not so cute. 3. They crawl at birth, but actually walk on all 4\'s with belly off the ground at about 3 wks. They are very shaky at first though and fall down alot. 4. Yes they can have only one. My sister Mona did. (Check out her page for pics!!) 5. They have some birth defect we can\'t see or they may have been conceived later than the others, making them smaller and younger. (Cats can mate multiple times and with multiple partners during heat.) 6. Mama\'s usually reject the ones who aren\'t going to make it or the Mama may be too inexperience or high strung. The Mothering instinct is very strong in cats though, so we haven\'t seen much of this. Juno, to answer you, I think you\'re going to be fine. If this is your first litter though, you should have a foster parent present if possible in case something does go wrong. They should only step in if absolutely necessary. We sometimes think the Mama is taking too much time to take the sac off, but they always seem to get it in time. We have taken sacs off babies who were stillborn and not moving, but haven\'t been able to revive one yet. We have also cut cords when the placenta didn\'t come out and the Mama wasn\'t severing the cord. That Mama ended up being sick though, so she had a reason for being so weak. We have had other foster parents have to take their kitties to the vet for c-sections because a kitten was stuck. Make sure you look that up - there is a certain amount of time to wait - maybe an hour or so - of HARD labor before they need to go to the vet. We don\'t mean to panic you as most births go off without a hitch. But you do need to be prepared. As for wanting to keep Juno - I would keep the majority of the ones I foster if I could. It\'s hard not to get attached. But if you end up with so many that you have to give up fostering, you really are giving up the opportunity to help so many. Every home has their limit, and most people know what that is. Hopefully your shelter is a no-kill and will find her a great home when she is ready. =D>
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 15 August, 2009
    Juno I wouldn\'t worry about it. She should be fine. As for not being able to keep her afterwords, no you don\'t need to take her to the shelter. You can rehome her yourself. A friend of mine had to do that with her cocker spaniel. The dog was rescued from a puppy mill, and was never happy, and my friend knew it was best for her to go to a new home where she\'d get the attention she needed and deserved, so she put an ad on craigslist, visited potential adopters in their homes, and turned down 13 families before she found the right one for the dog. So, you absolutely don\'t need to take Juno to the shelter. If you rehome her yourself, you have many more options. At least you\'ll know what home she\'ll be going to, and you won\'t have to adopt her out till you\'re 100% comfortable with the adopter. Good luck and keep us posted about the babies.
    edited 16 August, 2009
    well, i am fostering for the shelter so they make the final decision. but the good thing is they are no-kill and very good people so i know they'll make sure she only goes to a good home. they have a very serious adoption application, too. and quincy - you are right. Juno is my very first foster, and if i adopted her, i wouldn't have any more room to foster anymore. i will probably become attached to every foster i take care of, thats just what happens when you live with and take care of an animal. i guess that's the hardest part of fostering :)
  • Holly MoyerHolly Moyer Schuylkill HavenMember Posts: 36
    edited 17 August, 2009
    I've been following this thread...did the kittens come yet?!?!?
    edited 17 August, 2009
    nope, still not here! I'm waiting.... i'm going to update as soon as theyre here
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 17 August, 2009
    I came here to ask the same thing :)
    edited 17 August, 2009
    We're waiting too!! We're excited to see what color they are!!! Let us know.
    edited 17 August, 2009
    You should always adopt your first foster. That's what my mommy says!!!
    edited 18 August, 2009
    still no kittens the good news is the person who found her as a stray who fell in love with her but cannot have cats has a friend that is very interested in adopting her. he came to meet her today and lovessss her. so hopefully he'll have a good home :) i want to keep her until she finds a home, i can't stand the though of her in a shelter..
    edited 22 August, 2009
    i don't know if anyone follows my thread anymore, mol, but my kittens are still not here! my foster Meowmy is so impatient, she just cannot wait! :?
    edited 22 August, 2009
    We check everyday. Waiting is the hardest part. We\'re glad Juno has a potential home. =D> Everyone wants the cute little kittens, but usually no one wants the Mama. Keep us posted ::o
    edited 25 August, 2009
    Any Babies?
  • Tina FurlotteTina Furlotte TorontoMember Posts: 1,273
    edited 25 August, 2009
    Juno we are keep our paws crossed that you will be fine and have those babys soon. My mommy thought her foster was due any day but she waited 2 more weeks to surprise her,mol. Good luck Love Angel and Baby