the kittens are coming!

Comments

• Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 26 August, 2009
    The kittens still haven\'t come yet? That\'s an awfully long time.
    edited 26 August, 2009
    Kittens aren\'t here yet? Yikes, that\'s an awfully long time. September is fast approaching. You might want to take her to the vet and have it checked out.
  • Carrie JohnsonCarrie Johnson Iowa CityMember Posts: 230
    edited 26 August, 2009
    nope, they're still not here. her tummy just keeps growing. should i be worried?
  • DONNA KELLY-BIRCHDONNA KELLY-BIRCH kenoshaMember Posts: 1,018
    edited 27 August, 2009
    It\'s only been 2 wks. since you started this thread, so I wouldn\'t worry yet. Without knowing when she conceived, it\'s all a guessing game. Our first pregnant one was only a week along when we got her. I doubted she was pregnant until she reached the second half. Today our rescue spays everything right away - pregnant or not :(( -but back then it was a little different. Let us know when the big event occurs.
    edited 27 August, 2009
    yeah, i'm not worried then. when they first found her and took her to the vet which was 4 weeks about they said she should be due in about 2 weeks. but they were just guessing. she was so much smaller then and she is such a small cat so maybe they just assumed she wasn't going to have many or was just small. she is HUGE now!!! is there any way to guess how many kittens she'll have?
    edited 27 August, 2009
    I guess it depends. She could have a huge litter, or she could just have 1 big kitten. Quincy I am totally supportive of spay and nuter but spaying a pregnant cat is a bit much I think. Abortion of the kittens is cruel. If you're not sure whether they're pregnant, take them to the vet and they'll tell you. A few years ago I had a friend who's cat died from being spayed because she was pregnant and the vet didn't tell her. I'm sure they knew, they just did it for the bucks. What a horrifying experience. They told my friend about it after. The poor mama could've had the babies that day. I'm not sure what happened after because I don't talk to that girl anymore, but the point is, you should be 100% sure the mamas aren't pregnant before spaying. One small slip and the results can be devastating.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 27 August, 2009
    We are waiting for your babies too.. :^:
    edited 28 August, 2009
    Hi Nina :-h Mama thinks spaying a pregnant one is cruel too, especially when they are very far along. But the heads of our rescue believe in it since there are so many unwanted cats and kittens and so many are PTS by shelters everyday. Our adoptions are down 150 this year over last year, which means we are able to help alot less kitties than the year before (and the year before that). That means more people have to surrender to the local humane society where they do euthanize, or they just throw their kitties outside to fend for themselves. We are also seeing alot of ads for cats and kittens in the paper and on the internet for cheap or free, which ultimately takes away adoptions from us and the humane society. We arranged over 1,300 spay/neuters last year in our community - both for our kitties in our rescue and for owned and feral kitties in the community. But they still keep comming, year after year. So again, Mama doesn\'t believe in the late term spay of pregnant kitties, but can understand both sides of the issue.
    edited 28 August, 2009
    Hi Juno, An X-ray or ultrasound can tell how many kittens are in there, but most rescues don\'t pay for those. We\'ve heard it\'s easier to feel them early on than it is to feel how many are in there late. Our guess is that you are going to have 3-4. Pregnancies when the Mama is young or having a first litter usually produce less kittens than an experienced Mama. We are so excited for you that WE can barely wait. ::o
    edited 28 August, 2009
    oh, you guys are so nice :) she has become a lot less active, she has found her spot on the kitchen counter and doesn't really leave there much. is she going to have the kittens there? lol. i haven't taught my cats not to go on the counter, i guess since i don't really care.
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 28 August, 2009
    I bet we have babies this weekend. Can't wait. xoxoxox
  • Valerie HulbertValerie Hulbert IndioMember Posts: 959
    edited 28 August, 2009
    Good luck|bb|
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 28 August, 2009
    Ooh, maybe one of us will be on to help you when the kittens are being born! :D
    edited 29 August, 2009
    i hope so!! i'm going to be updating fast, since i am always on catster, mol, it is so addicting. everytime i see her i can't believe how big she has gotten! they should be here very soon :) she's been a lot less active so i've moved her to my room and keep her and the other cats separate even though they all get along, i think it's best to keep them apart. hopefully Panda will forgive me for not letting her sleep with me the past few nights and a while longer :) i am SUPER excited!!
    edited 29 August, 2009
    Can you videotape it for us when she has them? A friend of mine videotaped her yorkie when she had puppies and put it on dogster. I\'ll find the page and p-mail you. I think seeing the dog with the puppies will prepare you a bit with Juno and the kittens.
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 August, 2009
    There's quiet a few videos on cats giving birth on You Tube. If you want to see what happens. Some make it look easy while others seem to have a hard time. But it may help you to except what may happen, or know if something maybe out of the ordinary. Purring all goes well =; looking forward to seeing the photos or videos.~a~
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 September, 2009
    There's quiet a few videos on cats giving birth on You Tube. If you want to see what happens. Some make it look easy while others seem to have a hard time. But it may help you to accept what may happen, or know if something maybe out of the ordinary. Purring all goes well =; looking forward to seeing the photos or videos.~a~
    edited 30 August, 2009
    i'll try to videotape if i'm around! it may happen when i'm sleeping or at work. I was hoping they would come this weekend but it didn't happen :( I will definitely take pictures :):):):):):)
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 3 September, 2009
    Any babies yet?
    edited 4 September, 2009
    theyre still not here :(
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 4 September, 2009
    :( Maybe it will be one day when my mom is home from work. She has to work this weekend, and Monday through Thursday. :( phooey!
    edited 5 September, 2009
    Still no babies yet? That's awfully long.
    edited 5 September, 2009
    Yeah, it has been a while and i'm becoming a bit worried. I got her 6 weeks ago and they said the vet said the babies were due in about 2 weeks. Her tummy has tripled in size since. I also know that cat pregnancy is about 60 days. So the vet could have just been very wrong at guessing, but can vets be THAT off? I don't think they had anything done, though, he just took a look at her. Do you catsters think i should bring her into the vet? My issue is that shes a foster and the shelter wouldn't pay for me to bring her to my vet, i would have to bring her to their vet and the shelter is kind of far away and i am pretty busy with work. I was just wondering if you guys think i should take her? She seems very healthy and everything.
  • Susan BrillSusan Brill Member Posts: 19
    edited 5 September, 2009
    Ooooh, maybe take her. My foster had her babies 11 days ago and her tummy was not very big at all, although the vet did say she needed to gain weight. Can you call the shelter and maybe they will make an exception and reimburse you? Or can you take a day off work? If you end up taking her to your own vet and paying for her just know you did a really, really, great thing, so there is no way you lose here. She may need to be induced. At the very least they can do an ultrasound. Good luck!
    edited 5 September, 2009
    Also forgot to add I once had to pay for an emergency foster vet visit because my shelter was also really far and it was totally worth it because the care she got was so much better than at the shelter and the kitten felt better really fast!
    edited 5 September, 2009
    I cannot take work off. I am a nanny and if i took work off, one of their parents would have to take work off also. But fortunately i have Monday, Thursday, AND Friday off this week. I'm really considering taking her and paying for it, i am just a bit scared because i'm kinda low on money right now. I didn't work all summer and just started again when school started. Does anyone know if ultra-sounds are super expensive? Or if they had to induce the labor, would that be super expensive? I want whats best for her so i am going to ask the shelter if they can reimburse me and if not, i am going to take her. I LOVE this cat and want whats best !!
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 5 September, 2009
    I agree Juno needs to be examined by a vet. Good luck and keep us posted. The New Orleans Kitties
    edited 5 September, 2009
    I spoke to the shelter and i am going to bring her to the vet tomorrow. I am making my appointment tomorrow. I am so worried :(
    edited 6 September, 2009
    You are great and best of luck!!!!!
    edited 6 September, 2009
    IS ANYONE HERE!?? she is giving birth as we speak. i woke up to her laying with a teeny black and white kitty who seems healthy as can be. then all of a sudden another one popped out. SHE IS DOING SO WELL! and making it look like its nothing..