Best cat litter?

katie Snyderkatie Snyder Omaha NEMember Posts: 7
edited 20 March, 2013 in Grooming
Just wondered what the best litter out there is? Can't find one I like-- What I want: Not overly scented Hard clumping but doesn't turn into a huge muddy mess sticking to the bottom of the box. Also not too expensive. Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Susan KozielSusan Koziel tamaquaMember Posts: 18,794
    edited 12 August, 2009
    Hi Buddy! :-h :-k This is a good question. Mom has 4 cats total and we were previously using Fresh Step clumping litter. That seemed to have the best odor control and lasted the longest. BUT...then mom read about clumping litter possibly being hazardous to our health & she was looking for something more eco-friendly too. So, we tried out the clumping litter made out of corn cobs. The brands we tried were Nature's Miracle & Arm & Hammer Essentials. Here's the pro's & cons: PROs - -more eco-friendly -very easy to scoop & the wet litter doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan like concrete! -lasted a long time - could go almost 2 weeks without changing to fresh litter. -adequate odor control - not as good as Fresh Step, but did a fair job - lightly scented (although the Arm & Hammer was initially stronger scented but that soon dispersed.) - economical price was between $6-8 for A&H brand and bag lasted longer than normal brands. - lightweight - not as heavy to lug home from the store! - no dust - soft on paws - all 4 cats liked it! CONs - the lightweight nature of the granules made it easier to track on the floor - adequate odor control - but we have 4 cats so maybe we're just too hopeful :) We have also tried those pine pellet types when I was a kitten, but I somehow got them stuck in my fur so I didn't like it much. And we also tried the one made out of wheat, but we found an ant in it (and normally we DON"T have these in the house) so mom quickly vetoed that one. Phew! Sorry to be so lengthy but mom thought maybe it would be helpful.|^| Good luck & let me know if you find anything good!
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 12 August, 2009
    Hi Buddy, I like Fresh Step Unscented- it clumps well, but can be a bit dusty. I use a large litter box- the Petmate Giant Litter Pan. I keep at least 4 inches of litter in it, so they cannot dig to the bottom-this keeps the waste from sticking to the bottom of the box. Because they cannot dig to the bottom, I am able to remove the waste completely from the box. If they happen to pee close to the side of the box, I tilt the litter away and clean where the waste touched- so the box stays clean. As long as you don't break apart the balls of urine, your litter stays clean and you only need to add a small amount of replacement litter once in a while, which saves $$. I keep 2 boxes out for 2 cats, scoop 2x a day and have no odor issues at all. I also use the "Magic Scoop Litter Lifter" to scoop with- it makes sifting through such a big box easy.
  • Jennifer NovakJennifer Novak DC (But my heart is still in BMember Posts: 595
    edited 12 August, 2009
    I think I would have to agree that Fresh Step clumping is good. It definitely keeps odors to a minimum. (It is a bit messy, though, but then again...Coop can be a bit messy!) But really, I won't be happy until someone creates a litter box that hooks into the plumbing and flushes itself! :))
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 12 August, 2009
    Bumpurr has to have the giant economy size cat box, mol, so I bed deep, 6 inches. Bedding deep is the key to now having any wet stick to the bottom, it just clumps. :D I use Cats Pride, get it at the dollor store for $2.25 a bag, use 3 bags a week, and a box of baking soda, once a week, in each box, 55 cents at the dollor store, the baking soda helps absorb the smell. I also pick every day. :D
  • katie Snyderkatie Snyder Omaha NEMember Posts: 7
    edited 13 August, 2009
    My moms favorite was always fresh step too. But when she got me I dig all the way to the bottom and leave cement for her. She thought they changed the formula of fresh step but it was just me! Thanks for telling her we need a bigger box with deeper litter. Honey scooches her butt to the edge of the box and pees on the side but she doesn\'t pee as much as me. ;)
    edited 13 August, 2009
    Hey Coopurr :-h They do have a box that does that! It's called the Cat Genie. It does not sound so great when you read the reviews on it though- here is a funny one: Review
    edited 13 August, 2009
    Buddy- you can use one of those big storage containers with a hole cut in the side- click here and scroll down to see a pic of one: litter box
  • Susan KozielSusan Koziel tamaquaMember Posts: 18,794
    edited 13 August, 2009
    Hi Tasha! Thanks for posting the above link. Mom is intrigued with the Biddy Cat litter box....wonder if it works :-k We sometimes are "Poop Picassos" in my house. We have the extra large litter boxes, but still the sides are not high enough and sometimes we get a little overzealous in covering our poop & it get accidentally flicked on the wall behind the litter box. Mom's never too happy with this "art work" so maybe this box would help. (we don't like the covered boxes.) Oh, and the other cats are right - litter depth & frequent scooping are majorly imp0rtant!
  • Jennifer NovakJennifer Novak DC (But my heart is still in BMember Posts: 595
    edited 13 August, 2009
    Hey, Tasha -- Thanks for letting us know about the Genie. I think Meowmy did some research and read the bad reviews. I don\'t think she wants to get one. I\'m a major digger, though, so I think Meowm\'s convinced that no matter what she tries, I\'m gonna be messy. |/h/| Coop
    edited 13 August, 2009
    Julius :))! Scroll down from the Biddy Box- you can see a pic of a storage container with a hole cut out that might work better for you- it might keep your "artwork" contained better ;) *edit for spelling*
  • Lisa McDermottLisa McDermott JupiterMember Posts: 896
    edited 14 August, 2009
    My meowmy buys a 40 lb box (scoopable) at BJ's wholesale for $8.99. It is a tad bit heavy but we love it. It has great odor control and it lasts a long time. If you don't have a Bj's, you may want to try Costco or Sam's club. We used Fresh step from Costco but it was clay and it made me sneeze. So far, the litter from Bj's is our favorite and the most economical. You have to have a membership or go with someone who has one and stock up.
  • edited 16 August, 2009
    Swheat Scoop. %:D% All natural, flushable, unscented, and clumping.
  • Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 16 August, 2009
    We have tried all kinds of kitty litter...clay, corn, wheat, litter pearls, etc. We weren't happy with any of them. We also tried regular boxes, sifting, automatic boxes. We weren't happy with them either. We have recently switched to The Smart Cat Box. It's expensive to start with but pays for itself in a very short time because you don't have to buy litter anymore. It took us a little time to adjust but now we really like it. Also, if you ever have health problems where your parents have to take urine samples, the urine collection tray already does that. I'd suggest springing for the wall extention which makes the box taller. So far the biggest down side is when we scratch the wall it can sometimes sound like nails on a chalk board. Other than that, we are quite pleased with it.
  • Gina GroneGina Grone Beatrice, NebraskaMember Posts: 217
    edited 17 August, 2009
    I\'m a Tidy Cat person and my cats are fine with that. When budget is tight, I do sometimes use the Wal-Mart Special Kitty, but again - mostly it\'s Tiday Cat. I did try the Arm & Hammer corn stuff, and I liked it because it seemed to last a long time - my cats weren\'t as happy with it. Fresh Step also seems good.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 18 August, 2009
    WORLDS BEST CAT LITTER is the BEST cat litter
  • Carrie JohnsonCarrie Johnson Iowa CityMember Posts: 230
    edited 21 August, 2009
    Fresh step is the only litter i have liked and use. I used it for a while and then thought i was silly for spending so much on cat litter, so i tried cheap grocery brand kind, and BOY does quality make a difference. But everyone said Fresh Step, so i don't think i have very useful input lol
  • Carrie JohnsonCarrie Johnson Iowa CityMember Posts: 230
    edited 21 August, 2009
    oh yeah, and if you buy Fresh Step, join the Paw Points club. Everytime you buy it it gives you a code and you can get free things :):):):)
  • Elizabeth MabardyElizabeth Mabardy Member Posts: 2,708
    edited 21 August, 2009
    ~Kyande- Kisu~ hello :-h Yes, we wuv "WORLDS BEST CAT LITTER" Their at it again wif dem $3.00 coupons! ;c;=; It's gotta be da best I've ever used & Kally Kat likes it.
  • Allison Tuthill GaulAllison Tuthill Gaul Virginia Beach, VAMember Posts: 168
    edited 28 August, 2009
    We've tried them all. World's best is the way to go. Least amount of dust. Great odor control (except for immediately after a stinky poopy). Everyone likes it. Great clumping. Worth it.
  • Sharon DaltonSharon Dalton Member Posts: 3,728
    edited 29 August, 2009
    My mom generally fills our boxes with Arm & Hanmer Essentials; it's real soft on our paws and doesn't stick tightly to the sides/bottom of the boxes. Mom likes it 'cause it's dust-free, and it's hardly more expensive than the generic one. Swheat Scoop is also great, but it's way too expensive for Mom's budget. If money is an issue, Dollar General sells 9Lives cat litter, and it's pretty darn good.
  • Jillian Van WeeldenJillian Van Weelden BeamsvilleMember Posts: 40
    edited 30 August, 2009
    Oh man. My dad recently bought World's Best Cat Litter and in my (Jillian) opinion, it smells worse than the other pine stuff we used before! Moshi and Lily have really wet, soft poops, especially Moshi, and they smell sooooooo bad! It's awful! I need to try to figure out a solution because the smell is so bad that I have to wear a mask over my mouth and nose. I need to get down to the bottom of why the kittens have such wet, soft poops without taking them to the vet. Sigh.
  • Allison Tuthill GaulAllison Tuthill Gaul Virginia Beach, VAMember Posts: 168
    edited 30 August, 2009
    The vet gave Happy FortilFlora which is a pro-biotic for kitties. You just mix it in the food. You might be able to get it online. Then again, they might have finicky tummies and need different food. Every kitty is different. Allison Mother of the small herd of kitties
  • Mayu NakamuraMayu Nakamura Member Posts: 28
    edited 31 August, 2009
    We\'ve tried a few different brands and Fresh Step (unscented) is in my opinion the best cat litter. It clumps well, masks odors and is inexpensive.We also use litter box liners, which makes the clean up much easier and prevents odors from lingering on the box.. Moshi, we didn\'t like World\'s Best either- it made Ollie\'s waste smell ten times worse, I don\'t know why.
  • Jenifer BorkeJenifer Borke West Chester Ohio OHMember Posts: 18
    edited 1 September, 2009
    My mom really likes the Sam\'s club brand of clumping cat litter- there are 5 of us and so she is always looking to save money. It comes in 40lb buckets and is usually around $11 or so. Clumps well and has a nice, natural odor.
  • Marisol VazquezMarisol Vazquez ChicagoMember Posts: 75
    edited 2 September, 2009
    I really like Dr. Elsey\'s Precious Cat Ultra!! It\'s not dusty, it\'s unscented but eliminates bad odors. It clumps hard and an 18lb bag costs like $8 at petsmart. Hope this helps! :D
  • CodyCody VermontMember Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 September, 2009
    I like Arm & Hammer. It seems to be the least "dusty" of all the clumping litters. The newer product has "color changing crystals" in it, which makes it smell somewhat like moth balls! My 2 cats seem to like to pee in the corners after they have cleared away all the litter. That's what makes the litter hard to scrape up off the bottom of the box. So when I clean out the litter, I pile the litter in the 4 corners, so that they leave some litter there when they do their business. I paid $10.99 (on sale) for a 28 lb. box.
  • Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 10 September, 2009
    We definitely prefer unscented clay litters and use the generic brand of unscented, clumping clay litter sold at Pet Valu stores. The price is right at $4.99 for 15 lbs. We\'ve tried S\'wheat scoop, World\'s Best Cat Litter and many other exotic types of litter and don\'t like any of them with the exception of the (very expensive) crystals. We didn\'t know that Fresh Step makes an unscented litter. Is it as expensive as the scented version?
  • IF PetmomIF Petmom NowhereMember Posts: 4
    edited 14 September, 2009
    We've been extremely happy with The Worlds Best Cat Litter. It's corn based, clumping, and isn't scented. Even the "regular" clumps well and holds up to multi-cat use so we haven't found the need to pay extra for the "extra strength" version. I've used it since 2006. What I really like is it's non-toxic. There's not much dust, and if the cats groom some litter dust off their fur I'm not worried that they're ingesting clay. Also, it doesn't make a goopy or really hard mess like some of the clumping clay litters. So even if they pee right against the side of the box, it's easy to get the clump off the edge of the box without scratching up the litter box. It just forms a nice firm ball that you can easily dislodge from the side and scoop out.
  • Stephanie KlempnerStephanie Klempner BloomingburgMember Posts: 24
    edited 24 September, 2009
    Baby Mew Mew uses Cedariffic... I like the scent and it lasts a pretty long time... but I think, unfortunately, he's allergic to it. He's very itchy, and I think that's the cause. I'm going to try something else and see if the itching stops.
  • Sierra ParkerSierra Parker Member Posts: 465
    edited 24 September, 2009
    I usually use fresh step. Love the scent. :))