A handful of questions.

Tracey BTracey B Member Posts: 7
edited 18 August, 2009 in Kitten Corner
I have a few questions. First off, I'd like to say that my kitten is one month old (as of Today), and no, she doesn't have a kitty mom, nor would I be able to give her back. I've also taken care of kittens from 1 week old and so on, I haven't had this problem though. I got the kitten on Wednesday. My sister informed me that the mother left and they haven't seen her in days and she remembered that I had taken care of kittens before, so she gave her to me for my birthday. The previous owners also informed her that the kittens were eating canned food already. My mind was blown, I always thought kittens had milk until 6 weeks. So, of course we sat the kitten down and offered her soft food, and she took it. I didn't feel comfortable giving her straight canned food, so I watered it down half of the time, the other half I've mixed it with kitten Milk Replacer (Link: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3480958), as well as giving her straight kitten milk replacer in an eye dropper. Here's the problem. Wednesday afternoon until Saturday morning she hadn't pooped. 10AM Sat she did. After, she was acting as if she were starving. So, I gave her the usual, food and milk. She finished almost 2 spoonfuls - which is odd because she never finishes the half I usually give her. I read somewhere that kittens her age are suppose to poop every day. Well, since Saturday morning, she hasn't pooped again. I've stimulated her, she'll push, meow and then run away. I've decided to take her off of the canned food until I'm confident that she'll be able to poop it out, which I am assuming that won't be until her 6th of 7th week. Now, how do I get her to poop? I've done different stimulation techniques. Some circle thing, rubbing her belly, rubbing her sides, as well as her tail. Nothing. I need something different, and vet approved (I read somewhere that someone gave their kitten an enema! Uh, no thanks) that will guarantee that she'll poop. Also, since we're on the topic of pooping, how many times should a kitten that young go? And should she poop (after the canned food is out of her) when I give her the milk? A friend of mine said that since I'd be giving her liquid, she should be releasing liquid. Speaking about liquid. She doesn't like to drink water. I've been adding extra water to her milk. I've tried to give her some in a eye dropper, but she doesn't' take it. I've also dabbed some on her chin, offered it to her on my finger, switched between milk and water. She just doesn't want it. I don't want the poor thing to get dehydrated, so any suggestions? Now, I have 2 other adult cats. One that's 1 1/2 years old and the other is 9. The 9 year old cat has warmed up to the kitten (on the first night she was here), my other cat, well.. She doesn't like her too much. She'll hiss and run away, but over the past two days I've caught her on top of the boxes looking down at the kitten, just watching. I just want her to warm up and start cleaning her. That's very selfish of me, but at least I'd know that my cat is doing what the mother cat would do. Last problem, for now. My kitten likes to lick cardboard boxes. Anyone experienced this and should I be alarmed? Wow, this is a lot. I apologize. I should know all of this. I've had cats since before I could walk. There are just some things you forget I guess.

Comments

• DONNA KELLY-BIRCHDONNA KELLY-BIRCH kenoshaMember Posts: 1,018
    edited 17 August, 2009
    Kittens do start eating can food and other soft foods at 4 wks. of age. I can not bottle feed fosters because I work, so 4 wks. is the minimum age I can foster. If kittens have their Mama at 4 wks., they are usually less interested in soft food, but I still introduce it at that time. By 6 wks. they have all their teeth, and actually should be trying dry food by then. Kittens also learn to poo and pee on their own around 3 1/2 to 4 wks. I am not sure how often a kitten is suppose to poo, but I would guess it\'s at least once a day. I\'ve never really had a problem with a kitten not going. If you are concerned, you can give her a couple drops of mineral oil or get some laxatone from the pet store. I\'m not sure switching her to an all milk diet is going to help. Kittens still poo when they are on all milk. Milk is not going to fill her up as much as can food either. I would say if she is acting distressed at all, you should call the vet. Otherwise nature should take it\'s course soon. In fact, she may go the other way and have diarrhea once the constipated poo comes out. Good Luck and let us know what happens.:-h
    edited 17 August, 2009
    P.S. About the water - any cat eating can food and milk isn\'t going to want much if any water at all. She is getting what she needs from her food. You can check her hydration by lifting the skin at her neck and letting it go. It should snap right back down immediately. If not, she is dehydrated. Kittens can dehydrate if they get diarrhea, throw up, run a fever, or get sick and quit eating/drinking, but if she is running around and eating OK, then she most certainly fine.
  • Tracey BTracey B Member Posts: 7
    edited 17 August, 2009
    Alright, I purchased the mineral oil earlier this evening. Should I put a drop or two in her milk, or should I give it to her by itself? Also, I really hope there isn't a specific kind of mineral oil I needed to get. It was whatever Target had.
    edited 17 August, 2009
    And, are you 100% positive that this mineral oil won't hurt or kill her?
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    edited 18 August, 2009
    Pure mineral oil is sold in the human laxative section of the health and beauty aids department. As long as that is what you bought (in other words there is nothing else added to the mineral oil) then it is safe. It is also sold in the baby supplies aisle as Baby oil and that had fragrance and stuff in it. You do NOT want that.
    edited 18 August, 2009
    Okay, so I put the mineral oil in her formula. I gave it to her last night at 2am and again at 430am. Nothing seems to be happening though. Any ideas when the oil should kick in?
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 18 August, 2009
    Ack, she's only four weeks old? Have you tried stimulating her to potty as her mother would have done? It's very likely that that is your problem. I had to do that with Hobie when he was a baby. Get a warm wash cloth and just gently wipe around her nether regions as if you were her mother cleaning her. Hobie also would not accept a bottle at that age, so I mixed the Royal Canin babycat formula or wet kitten food with milk replacer. Hope that helps! She is gorgeous! :c9
    edited 18 August, 2009
    Yes, I tried that. She'd push as if something were coming out, but nothing would. The mineral oil did work though. She pooped about an hour ago. Nothing abnormal, thank goodness. And thank you =)
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 18 August, 2009
    What a cute little kitten. Glad she's pooped for you!
    edited 18 August, 2009
    She IS cute!! Looks a little bigger than 4 wks. though but there isn\'t much in your picture that shows her to scale. Glad the mineral oil worked. We never actually tried it, but we have read it on sheltermedicine.com I believe or some other website that is helpful with orphan kittens. I think you can substitute a few drops of vegetable oil too. Laxatone is a good thing to have in the house too, just in case. Good Luck!!:-h