Kitten Uh-Ohs!

matt deanmatt dean Member Posts: 41
edited 14 September, 2009 in Kitten Corner
My loving little Meka has been leaving little surprises out by where her mommy sleeps. They are behind a couch that her momma sleeps on, I put a little box right by it but am still seeing little poopies. Her and her sister both sleep in our room, and where Meka ends up going to the bathroom at is in another room not to far away. Shes 8 weeks old yesterday and used to use the litter box and just recently stopped. Could it be the type of litter? Would love to stop this so my wife will stop yelling at me to clean it up lol.

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 29 August, 2009
    An 8 week old kitten, needs to be confined to one room, with the cat box and food/water and toys. They are too young, to remember where the litter box is. :D You also want to make sure, the other cats in the household, are not picking on or intimidating the kitten, this could cause the kitten to not use the cat box too. :D The cat box needs to be low, like a cake pan, so the kitten can easily climb in and out. :D Above all, the household needs to be stress free, no yelling, no fighting, etc. This is very stressfull for an 8 week old kitten, trying to adjust to a new household, new parents and new pets. The cat litter should be the scoopable kind, as the clay litter, is too hard on little paws. :D If your wife is yelling at you to clean up the little presents, I suspect she is yelling at you for other things too, sorry, been there, I know the signs. :D Please tell your wife, to stop yelling at you, she is only scaring and confusing the kitten. She can either just pick up the poopies herself, you just use a napkin, pick it up, and put it in the trash, its not hard. Or she can nicely ask you, if you would please clean it up. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Your wife has to stop yelling, or there are going to be more issues with the kitten, best of luck. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Ashley AnteauAshley Anteau Member Posts: 1
    edited 29 August, 2009
    I agree with the person above me. I am using their advice too and its working.I am a 9 week old kitten that poopies all over. now I meow when I need it. I do forget where it is. My owner puts me in there every two hours or so. now I\'m going pretty much on my own...~a~;c;|$|=D>|/h/|
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 29 August, 2009
    Bumper pretty much covered it. Yes, you and your wife need to work together. As soon as you see the baby squatting on the floor, clap and say no firmly. After that, put her in the litterbox and wait with her till she goes. Once she\'s done, throw a litterbox party with hugs and kisses. This may take a few repetitions before she gets the hang of it. You and your wife need to be patient with the kitties because yelling will only compound the problem. I\'m a strong believer in positive training, and trust me, it\'ll come in handy.
  • matt deanmatt dean Member Posts: 41
    edited 29 August, 2009
    My wifes not not physically yelling at me to yell it up like I think some people came to the conclusion of lol. She thinks its gross and has me do it. We're very calm around the kittens and they love us to death already. Our 2 older cats (not including their mom) are really good with the kittens, one even lays down with the kittens and licks them with their momma, its cute. The younger kitty Eva remembers where the box is and Im proud of her for that. They were litter trained kinda young and I was impressed that they would do it on their own after maybe being put in there 4 times in 1 day and picked it up right then and there. I have 2 very small pans around the house in the spots they usually play / sleep at that are meant for kittens, Eva uses them both often and Meka (the trouble maker) used to do the same but for about 2 weeks now its been behind the couch. We didnt adopt these kittens as I think Bumper suggested, have had them since the day my wife screams "I THINK THERES A GOLFBALL COMING OUT OF TINKS HOO-HOO" I just went to the store and bought a different litter just for her and she sniffed around it like she liked it. She usually jumps out of the litter box when I put her in it like she just doesnt like it, so hoping this new one does the trick.
  • matt deanmatt dean Member Posts: 41
    edited 31 August, 2009
    I just cant get her to do it in her litter box. I put her in it and all she does is run away, she knows its there, has used it plenty of times before. I dont know what to do =[
  • DONNA KELLY-BIRCHDONNA KELLY-BIRCH kenoshaMember Posts: 1,018
    edited 31 August, 2009
    You need to confine her to a smaller area with the box to retrain her to use it. You also need to clean throughly behind the couch and block off access to it. We have a pair of foster kittens who are probably 3 mos. old now, and they started pooping in the closet in their room. When we shut the closet door, they started going under the futon. One of them was having diarrhea a few weeks ago, which was when it all started. They are on medicine now, but still were pooping on the floor. So we had to lock them up in a cage the other day where they are using the box perfectly. We will let them out, supervised, in a day or two and see what happens. If her poop looks abnormal or smells real bad, you may need to take her to the vet to rule out anything wrong. Otherwise you have a training issue that needs to be taken care of now, before it gets any worse. Good Luck!!
  • DONNA KELLY-BIRCHDONNA KELLY-BIRCH kenoshaMember Posts: 1,018
    edited 31 August, 2009
    P. S. Instead of throwing the poo away, put it in the litter box. She will see/smell it in there and it may help retrain her.:-h
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 31 August, 2009
    Quincy gave you great advice. I cannot stress enough being through in your litterbox cleaning. We recently had one cat pooping on their mat due to a minor health problem. We took care of the problem, but the other cat started using the litter mat. I went over every inch of the litter mat with an enzymatic cleaner, and lo and behold, I had missed a couple of spots (the litter mat is mesh and plastic, so I had to really press down on it to get Nature's Miracle to soak down to the bottom the last time around). After I did figure out the problem and cleaned the mat throughly (it took half a bottle of Nature's Miracle, and tons of paper towels to get every trace out), we've had no more problems. I would also agree with Quincy that isolating her in a small space (a small bathroom in your home if you have more than one will do) with a litterbox, food, water and toys, will help retrain her. Just make sure there are no soft surfaces for her to poo on, as it sounds she has developed a preference for: this means that you remove any towels or bath mats that she might be likely to use as a substitute for the carpet. When you go check on her, if you find poop in the box, praise her for it. If you see her pooping when you go in, wait until she's done in the box, and then pet her and tell her what a good girl she is. That's even better, because she can make an immediate association between pooping in the box and good things. When she is ready to leave her room (i.e., no accidents for a couple of days), move the litterbox out where she is, and also make sure she doesn't have the run of the house. So for example, move her from the bathroom into the room next to it, which should be bigger. See how she does there, and if she does good, allow her a little bit more room. For a while, do not allow her free run of the entire house. Wait until she is bigger before you expect her to be able to make it to "her" box from the other end of the house. Question: how often do you clean the kitten pans? In my experience, kitten litter boxes get filled up very fast, and older cats can become fond of them. After our cat Boris was allowed to explore Gracie's "room", the first thing he did was poop in her litter box, even though he did not fit in it (amazingly enough, he didn't miss and go right outside). It got to a point where the only way to stop him from doing that was to put the two boxes side by side a couple of days later. Even when Gracie was using her tiny box by herself, my husband and I scooped it three times a day vs. the once daily cleaning that Boris' big boy box got: it just got full a lot (what can I say, Gracie was an eating and pooping machine as a kitten). After a couple of weeks, when we saw Gracie tentatively use the big box, we were all too happy to get a jumbo litter box for Boris, and let her use Boris' old box.
    edited 1 September, 2009
    When I brought my kittens home at 8 weeks, they were confined to Bumpurr's very large carrier for 2 days, with cat box, food/water, blankets, toys. Then they were confined to the bedroom, for a few more weeks. :D They knew where their cat box was, they knew where there food/water was. It was not so overwelming to them, they only had one room to deal with. Bumpurr was allowed in for supervised visits, which he is so laid back, they tried to nurse him the first time, and he lay there and let them. After a few weeks, they were allowed to explore the rest of the house, supervised, for an hour or so, then back in the bedroom. After a few more weeks, they were allowed to roam the house, while I was there, and back in the bedroom, when I was not. 8 week old kittens, need to get used to one room, so they are comfortable and feel safe and secure, and, know where everything is. Letting an 8 week old kitten roam the house, and keep changing the cat box placement, is asking for trouble, in my opinion. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
    edited 11 September, 2009
    An 8 week old can use scoopable litter? I thought they were too young still for it at that age.
    edited 12 September, 2009
    If you think about it, a kitten outside, would use dirt or sand, to go, I hear alot of people say, they use the kids sandbox. A kitten is not going to use those little stones in a driveway. :D Clay litter, to little 8 week old kittens, with very small paws, and very tender paw pads, is like using those little stones in the driveway. :D The kittens were confined to Bumpurr's large carrier, then confined to the bedroom, I put their cat box in one spot, they took right too it. :D
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 14 September, 2009
    Wonderful advice thus far. If I could offer some slightly off-topic advice as well? Please get your mother cat spayed, and any other adult cats in the home spayed or neutered as well. When the kittens are four to five months old, have them spayed or neutered also. The pet overpopulation problem is basically insurmountable at this point, and it will continue to be so until people start spaying and neutering their pets. For every kitten that is born, it takes away a home from a cat or kitten that is already in a shelter. By the way, your kittens are adorable, and if you follow the wise advice you've been given, they should be using the litter box reliably in no time.