How much do Maine Coon cats eat?

Eric MerconEric Mercon CincinnatiMember Posts: 1
edited 22 September, 2009 in Maine Coon
I recently adopted what I am assuming is a Maine coon, simply from his size, coloring, and disposition (24lbs at adoption without looking obese) and he is a wonderful addition to the family. Unfortunately, since I have no experience with coon cats, I am having trouble figuring out how much to feed him. With my other three cats, they have been really good at self-regulating. None of them are overweight, between 8 and 10 lbs, and they all seem to figure out the communal food bowl rather well. However, with Lemmy, I have found that he will eat and eat without stopping. I have a cat door to the basement where I keep the food bowl on the top step to keep it out of reach of the dog. The first week we had Lemmy, he figured out the door easily and was able to negotiate it without trouble. Last week, I was in the kitchen making dinner when I looked over at the basement door to see Lemmy stuck halfway through the cat door, and started mewling for assistance. I had not realized it, but we had kept the basement door ajar for the last week and Lemmy had gone a bit hog-wild. I am very interested in keeping Lemmy's weight in check, and as such, I realize I am going to have to put more effort into this. How do I go about keeping Lemmy healthy without starving the other three cats?