How do I figure out what size of collar she needs?

Hayley SullivanHayley Sullivan Member Posts: 112
I'm wondering how I found out how many inches long the collar will need to be. Is there a formula or something for it?

Comments

• Meghan SMeghan S Rosslyn, VAMember Posts: 82
    edited 1 October, 2009
    I don't know how to figure it out- that would be helpful for me to know too. My cats, Buddy and Leo, have the breakaway collars and when I went to the vet she told me that Leo's collar was a smidge too tight. Luckily I could just loosen it, and it wasn't a health concern, but I'd like them to be comfortable AND identifiable since we let them out to prowl the yard at night.
  • Lisa McDermottLisa McDermott JupiterMember Posts: 896
    edited 10 October, 2009
    I usually just put 2 fingers underneath it. If I can't do that and slightly move it...then it's to tight.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 25 October, 2009
    Loosely wrap a sewing measuring tape around the neck. Make sure you can easily fit two fingers between the tape and the neck. Then look at the tape to see how long a collar you would need. Collars typically come in 6, 8, 10, and 12 inch lenghts and are adjustable for a good fit.