Eww ... I\\\'m not WHITE anymore!

Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
edited 13 October, 2009 in Grooming
What to do ... what to do! I\'m not cleaning and grooming myself anymore, and now I have a major problem with matting and stains. This is such a change for me since I have always been a compulsive over-groomer to the point that I would pull out my fur and lick holes in my skin. A few months ago, momma got so beside herself she shaved me a buzz haircut. That got rid of the matting mess, but not so much the stains mess as they go clean to the skin. Mom carries a comb in her pocket now and will hit me under the armpits several times a day as she walks by and will comb me out all over twice a day, so for now the matting seems to be under control. But the staining is still a problem. It\'s mostly my forehead, under my ears, lower legs and feet, and all of my tail. How does mom get the stains out of me safely and keep up on it? What does she use that both works and is safe? All of us cats have always had regular baths, so a water bath isn\'t a problem. Mom has some so cute photos of me, but hasn\'t put them up on my page because she is so embarrassed to have such a dirty kitty.

Comments

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 October, 2009
    They make whitening shampoo for pets, don't they? We don't use it in our household for obvious reasons :)), but mom thinks she's seen it at PetCo. :-k P.S....I just looked online and found this article: How to Get Urine Stains Out of White Fur I thought it might be helpful! |^|
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 4 October, 2009
    Thanks Beatrice. I did think about looking for whitening shampoo as a last resort. I was hoping someone knows a more natural remedy. I think my stains are more cat litter stains than urine stains, or it could be somewhat getting myself wet while in the litterbox. We don\'t have a Petco anywhere near here, but I\'m sure I can order it from the Petco site. We do have a Petsmart. They may have something as well. I\'m off to take a look at their online sites.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 4 October, 2009
    Have you tried Cat Bathing Wipes? Also available at PetSmart....or via the web. Hope this is of some help? The New Orleans Kitties
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 7 October, 2009
    Hi there, I see you are a Beautiful and older kitty! That means your hair coat has changed and may be a bit tougher to remove stains. Meowma(Dawn) here was a Pro. groomer for 12 years and I would have you ask the groomers at your local PetSmart. Though they do have 2 doggy shampoos there. Ask if they are safe for use on cats. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752774&keepsr=0&clickid=body_rv_txt Groomax is what they use, or they did when I was working for Nutro at one here. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754363&keepsr=0&clickid=body_rv_txt Good luck. I would feel safe using the Groomax myself, but please ask them what they think. You can always ask a vet there if it is safe. Just shake and let sit for about 5 min then rinse and when you think u have rinsed well, rinse more. Check arm pits and butt, under tail. And with any shampoo, be careful around the eyes. You can use a toothbrush with shampoo there. Put a tiny drop of mineral oil in each eye if you want to be safe. Just do not add to much as it will be hard to remove oil from hair also. Mineral oil can be bought at any CVS,Walgreen or discount store around. Please keep us informed, Dawn Meow here was my 3rd kitty to reach 22 years old, on Nutro Max Cat dry only.
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 9 October, 2009
    Thanks. I didn\'t think of talking to the groomers in my area. There is one less that 1/4 mile from my home.
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 9 October, 2009
    There should also be ones at PetSmart. Good Luck and pleas keep us informed!
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 October, 2009
    I don\'t know if this would be any better than any of the all-purpose \"kitty wipes,\" but what about the \"eye wipes\" that are supposed to remove tear stains? (\"Cynical\" Mom wonders if kitty wipes for various kitty parts are all the same, they just put different names on them so you buy one of each.) You can buy them at PetSmart or Petco. I don\'t see why you couldn\'t use them on other parts, too. If they actually remove stains around the eyes, maybe they would remove other stains? The kitty wipes work fairly well, if you use them regularly. They may not do much that\'s noticeable in just one use, but over time, I think they help, even with clumping and matting that\'s a result of dirt build-up from lack of grooming. \"earthbath\" (www.earthbath.com) is a brand that is supposed to be \"totally natural and good for the planet.\" You may not be able to get it at the big chains, though. Mom got some at a local pet store, $9 for 25 ear wipes -- pricey! :-O When I first came to live with Mom and Dad, my fur was stained and stiff wherever I groomed because my mouth was so full of infection. Kitty wipes helped my fur until we could get my rotten teeth out!