No litter in the litter box?

Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
edited 6 November, 2009 in Grooming
I am looking for advice... I went to my dog\'s vet last night to pick up a prescription. (my cats go to a cats only vet) They have a cage set up with kittens for adoption. The last time I was in, I noticed they only had about 1/2 cup of litter in the box. This time there was NO litter int he box- for 3 kittens. It was also a small sized box. I was upset and I asked the girl why they had no litter, and she told me it is because they tip it over. I told her I did not think it was right. So, should I complain? Should I contact the rescue group that adopts out of there instead of the vet office? What would you do?

Comments

• Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 16 October, 2009
    I would call the vet's office and speak to the vet who owns the practice, or at least the Office Manager. I can't imagine cats going into a litter box without any litter in it. Yes, they will spread some litter around, but that is why I keep a dush pan and brush in the cabinet. If you work in a vet's office there WILL be times you have to clean up litter, as well as other things that do not smell very nice. This is part of working with animals.....what would these people do if they worked on a farm with horses.....? If speaking to either of the above gets no results, I would notify the resuce about the situation. Did the kittens have food and water? Kittens can make a BIG mess with those too.....meowmy can vouce for that.....MOL...MOL.... Please keep us posted, and good for you trying to get this resolved. The New Orleans Kitties
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 16 October, 2009
    I sent an email today- I know they check their emails frequently because sometimes I email questions to them ;) When I got home from work there was a message from the vet who owns the practice- I just missed her call by 1/2 hour. Anyway, she said that she was in shock and cannot believe that there was no litter and also cannot believe that someone would give me such an answer. She said that she would like to talk to me so that she can get to the bottom of the matter and said that it would be a topic at their next staff meeting on Tuesday morning. She also told me that she just looked and there is now litter in the box. I called her back, but had to leave a voicemail- I told her I would like to talk to her. I am hoping to hear from her soon- but who knows, it is now 6:15 on a Friday night...:?
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 17 October, 2009
    Good to hear that she did call you back. When I was working for a vet, he used shredded paper and not liter of any kind. The paper was like stuff u get from a shredding machine. When I am working for Nutro at PetCo, the rescue group kitties all have a small box with a small amount of litter in them. But they are right there to change out all messy boxes too.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 17 October, 2009
    Glad to hear you got a response from the vet. It sounds as if a staff member did not want to be bothered with sweepin up litter. I would not worry that you have not gotten a call back, probably the vet was busy with last minutes patients. The fact that she did call you back and left such a detailed message says to me the problem WILL be taken care of. Good for you for following up on this for those kittens. The New Orleans Kitties;c;;c;%:D%
    edited 18 October, 2009
    Yes, I won't worry if I do not hear from her- but the next time I stop in, there better be litter in that box! I won't leave unless there is litter for those poor babies.
  • Elizabeth MabardyElizabeth Mabardy Member Posts: 2,708
    edited 18 October, 2009
    Mew mew Tasha, :-h I\'m soo purroud ob your Momkatt, Tasha! =; I\'ve gone into some pet stores & wud expect dat, butts not a Vet\'s office. :n: I wud hav done da very same thing. Lubbs ya all, Kally Kat :^:
    edited 18 October, 2009
    Heya Kally Kat! :-h I just got off the phone with the vet. She assured me that this would be a topic at their meeting on Tuesday, and I was able to give her an idea of who I spoke with. In my email to her, I had suggested that they put more litter in the box to weight it down so that the kittens would not be able to tip it over so easily- and she felt like that could solve the problem. So, we will see- I will be paying attention for sure! ~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~
  • Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    edited 20 October, 2009
    It was fantastic that you have made them address this issue. I would rather sweep up spilled litter than clean up poop and pee because the kittens didn't want to use an empty box! One thing I've seen is using that stick on velcro on the bottom of the box, to anchor it to the floor of small cages in vet clinics.
    edited 20 October, 2009
    Ahhhh! Great idea Suey! I never thought of velcro! I wish I had been able to suggest that idea.|^|
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 21 October, 2009
    Good work Tasha. Maybe if they put LOTS of litter in the box, it would weigh it down and they couldnt tip it over.. why dummies that work there. STOOPID people.. ahahhaha:))
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 21 October, 2009
    sounds like whomever was there didnt feel like doing there job, and just assumed you were stupid or wouldnt say anything. they were wrong! woot!%:D%;c; it surprises me that someone would say that...was this person staff or a voulenteer? anyone who works with cats knows that kittens make messes, and you just gotta clean it up. sometimes only a little bit of litter is put in the box because they just throw the entire pile of it away as soon as they dirty it...but theres no excuse for none at all!
    edited 22 October, 2009
    This is a rather large practice- and the staff is paid. There are 3-4 vets practicing with 2 on duty at a time. There are usually 3 people in the front office area, as was the case this time I went in. So, at least 3 employees could see that there was no litter on this particular night! Also, you have the vet techs that come out and bring you into the rooms to see the doctor- they would be walking right past the caged kittens. It seemed like a total breakdown to me. As I told the vet- this is basic cat care: food/water/litter. :^::^::^::^::^::^::^::^::^::^::^::^:
  • Karen ParsonsKaren Parsons GriffithMember Posts: 821
    edited 28 October, 2009
    Good catch! My rescue group sealed my box down with sticky tape in my carrier for my journey from Tennessee to Indiana. Worked well because I even used it a couple of times...
    edited 31 October, 2009
    I went back today to pick up some medication... There was litter in the box, and it was a full sized box! ~a~ Now, there was not as much litter as I would like, but the bottom of the box was covered- so I am happy :D
    edited 1 November, 2009
    Tasha, hello :-h That\'s wunnerful news ;c; yeah for your purrsistance! =; I use \"WBCL\", Kally Kat neva has any litter box trubbies wif litter. I leave plenty in hur box, then again iz this cutting down on costs $$ or neglect da VET! Thank yew furry much Momkatt fur yur time & lubbs for da litta ones. Hi, :^: litta Minka cupcake, that wuz a turrifac idea fur traveling wif a litter box! :) Lubbs ya my furriends, Kally Kat & Momkatt Liz ♥♥
    edited 1 November, 2009
    Kally Kat\'s Meowmy is giggiling here,bepaws I just printed a $3.00 off coupon for WBCL rite heyah at this Forum. Now, lets see about gettin hur a new catnip mousie at PetCo for da cash $$$ I just saved. =;
    edited 2 November, 2009
    That's great Kally Kat! Every little bit counts! ;c;;c;;c;
  • charles jcharles j Member Posts: 13
    edited 6 November, 2009
    Yeah, it would seem they definitely could have put some thought into that before just giving the cats an empty box...poor kitties.