Extremely mean cat

Christine MusalChristine Musal Palm Beach GardensMember Posts: 2
edited 3 November, 2009 in Behavior & Training
Simba has turned into a vicious and mean cat.She still adores my husband but she HATES me.....and because of this I don't want to keep her anymore.Hubby loves the vicious beast and won't hear of me getting rid of her. How do I live with a cat that clearly hates me?she used to adore me and I am a bit sad and very resentful of her change in attitude towards me.I have not done anything to her that would cause this behavior.Any ideas?:((

Comments

• Janet WestJanet West StroudMember Posts: 2,239
    edited 31 October, 2009
    Oh dear.....what happened? Jan
  • Christine MusalChristine Musal Palm Beach GardensMember Posts: 2
    edited 31 October, 2009
    I wish I knew...........she just decided she hates me all of a sudden.I haven't done anything to her or changed my behavior towards her in any way,I still talk sweetly to her and pet her when she lets me.It makes me sad:(
  • Lauren FrancisLauren Francis Member Posts: 122
    edited 31 October, 2009
    That is so sad, I would be devestated if my Spazzy suddenly hated me. Perhaps when you were near the kitty something started him and he now associates that with you. Maybe try that calming spray, I can't remember what it's called right now. Feliway? Maybe get the spray and spray yourself and get one of the plug in ones and you and kitty and sit in just one room together with the plug and and you sprayed and maybe he will calm down. Give me treats when he lets you pet him so that he remembers that you are a nice person and not something scary
  • Mary ComminsMary Commins AntiochMember Posts: 55,502
    edited 31 October, 2009
    one of my cats, Maggs, is a total Daddys boy and attempts to bite me every time I try to pet him or pick him up. I just leave him alone and let Dad give him affection. It certainly would never enter my mind to get rid of him! Cats aren\'t just dishrags to be thrown away whenever we decide we don\'t want them anymore. They are a lifetime commitment. Please rethink this \"getting rid of her\" thought.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 31 October, 2009
    Based on having a daddy's girl myself, Gracie is actually quite possessive of my husband at times. When she decides she's going to sit next to my husband, that's that. It's daddy time, and you better let her be with him. Just last night, she basically waited until I got up from our couch and took my spot sitting next to the husband, and when I came back she was basically glommed near him and gave me a lot that said "yeah, I don't care you're back and I am not moving. So I sat next to her and petted her, and told her "I'm glad you're giving daddy some company!" ;) I would suggest approaching Simba when it's just you and her in the house. Approach her gingerly, pet her very quickly and unintrusively, and leave treats. Yes, bribe your cat. The only reason Gracie loves me now is that I had to work really hard to have her associate me with good things, like pets, and food, and playtime. These days she does love me (sometimes she'll sleep next to me when she's looking for warmth and Boris is not in the mood to be piled on), but for the first few months, it was like I was invisible. It was hard not to take it personally, but I was busy enough convincing Boris that I still loved him as much as I did before she came, so I guess I didn't have a lot of time to dwell on it. Above all, don't be nervous and fearful for her approval around her, or Simba will pick up on it and feel justified in being less than welcoming of you.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 31 October, 2009
    we cant really help just by "she hates me" what is the cat doing exactly? and please dont get rid of her
  • patricia ponivaspatricia ponivas Las Vegas, NVMember Posts: 51,847
    edited 31 October, 2009
    All the other posters are right. Don\'t give her up because she doesn\'t like you now. There has to be a reason for this behavior. Pretend like she\'s a new cat and start all over again gaining her trust. Give her treats, play with a wand toy. Give her the space she wants. Dont\' give up so quick. :^:
  • Lynda Van EttenLynda Van Etten Menands, NYMember Posts: 707
    edited 31 October, 2009
    This is Greta's mama. How long has this been going on? A few days? Weeks? I know with Greta there are days when she wants nothing to do with me and then days where she can't get enough attention. There could be a number of reasons why her behavior's changed, maybe she's just getting older, or perhaps she isn't feeling well. I'd try not even paying attention to her for a while. If possible, have your hubby feed her and care for her. Let her have her space and don't try to pet her yet. She may come around....just don't force yourself onto her. I have a friend who adopted a cat that only likes men and has trust issues with women...the kitty has been with her several months and is just beginning to show signs of letting the friend (a woman) pet her. I agree with the others here, please don't get rid of her. There are too many cats in need of homes already, and it sounds like Simba has a good one.
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 1 November, 2009
    Isabelle has always been my cat, and she\'s not nice to my husband. She scratches and bites him regularly, although it\'s better than it used to be! :) Some things that really irk her about my husband: 1) Snuggles during wild time - this is the worst :-/ 2) Petting too long and ignoring the \"signals\" to stop - results in a swat every time 3) Not giving treats, food, etc. to reinforce positive interaction 4) Irritating her with her toys - he doesn\'t \"get\" cat play and will tease her to the point of frustration I\'d do what the others suggested and go back to pretending you just brought her home and are getting to know her. Pay attention to signals and learn what is making her so mad at you. Be gentle and calm and don\'t force any interaction.
  • Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
    edited 3 November, 2009
    I had to bribe Charlie to like me. I got him at age 11 mos and I have no idea what his life was like before me. He would sleep on the bed (near my feet) at night, but that was as close as we got to being affectionate. He was my first cat and he was a terror. He attacked my head from behind the couch, my feet, jumped on shoulders, puffed up at my friends, and generally went crazy daily for three years. I had to feed him treats while I petted him. I did this probably daily for years and just treated him like a roommate rather than an affection buddy. Finally around 3 he became less crazy. I never really felt like he cared about me. But that doesn't mean I don't love him and wouldn't do anything for him. I do get upset sometimes, sure...feeling like he just uses me for food. But he needs me. I promise if you stick with it, you'll be glad you did in time. Charlie was meant to be with me. (Anyone else probably would have taken him back to the shelter!!)