My cat Ozzy is driving my boyfriend and I INSANE. Every morning, right around 4am, he wakes up and wants to be fed. He gets fed, and he's content for five minutes. Then the whining starts.
He is very obviously making noise for attention. He likes it when we watch him eat. He claws at the closet doors, the walls, or the dressers - bascally anything he can get his paws on. He meows in this pathetic sort of way that makes him sound like he's crying - it sounds really sad actually
He will meow (we wake up, stir a little), wait a minute (we fall back asleep), then meow again. All the while he is just standing on the floor, looking at us.
If I close the door to the bedroom, he will claw at it and scratch it up which is not okay since we are renting! Not to mention it makes so much noise.
We have tried various things...
1) Ignoring him (though this admittedly did not last long) - I think this is our best bet but the Bf gets so annoyed that he always wants to give in
2) Giving him cat nip - sometimes this works, but usually not
3) Squirting him with a water bottle
4) Getting up and hanging out with him - which he loves... but I don't
5) Putting him back in bed and petting him to sleep - he just wakes up a couple minutes later
The most frustrating part of all of this? FIVE MINUTES before my alarm goes off, he runs into his cat bed and falls fast asleep. *sigh*
I've always thought that ignoring him is the only thing that will work, but my boyfriend is an extremely light sleeper and he thinks it will be impossible to ignore.