Walking your kitties?

Olivia S-Olivia S- Member Posts: 5
edited 23 November, 2009 in Behavior & Training
Do any of you guys take your indoor cats for "walks"? I mean, with harnesses and leashes and the whole bit? I'm thinking about buying a cat harness and leash so I can start taking my girls for walks. I feed them a moderate amount, not too much and not too little, and they're pretty active around the house, but they still seem to be gaining a lot of blubber on their tummies. They have these "pooches", as my hubby calls them, that just hang and nearly swing when they walk. LOL. So, I'm thinking that they apparently need more exercise than what they get from just running around the house like crazy cats! And I know that they'd enjoy being outside, because the few times that I've let them out for a few minutes, they absolutely loved it. :)

Comments

• Jessica BlackJessica Black Member Posts: 460
    edited 14 November, 2009
    I've walked my cats. Just keep in mind that you can't really walk them... they walk you. Haha. They won't really cooperate unless they're in control. Just kind of follow them. Only one of mine likes it, he's pretty outgoing though.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 14 November, 2009
    Yup, we take Hobie and Zelda on daily walks around our yard and cul-d-sac. I highly recommend the Lupine cat harness. It's comfortable for your cat and allows full movement, but they can't get out of it. We tried the doggy/roman style harness previously and it just didn't work for the cats.
  • ellen sklarellen sklar ExtonMember Posts: 256
    edited 19 November, 2009
    My mom takes me out for walks on a leash sometimes. She also puts a harness on me and puts me in a pouch she wears and walks around with me like that. I actually like being in the pouch more than walking on the leash because I just *love* it when she holds me and the cars aren't so scary when you're up high like that.
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 19 November, 2009
    Jellybean doesn't go for walks. She wouldn't like it, XD but we do have a leash and harness. Never used it and probably never will. You want to borrow it? It's just hanging on the back of my door for decoration right now, MOL. I'd also see if you can get little booties for your kitties paws.
  • Cass DoolittleCass Doolittle FlandersMember Posts: 341
    edited 20 November, 2009
    I\'m the king of cat walks. My humans have to keep up with me. I prowl the yard like a panther. In fact, I may actually be a panther. Surely at least some of them were red tabbies. On the other hand, my brofur Severian is an indoorsey kind of guy. Put a leash on him, try to put him down on the grass, and he raises all four legs as if they were on puppet strings. He\'\'s a city kid, even if he did come from the country. My other sibs like to get into the yard on a leash, flop down and roll over, and then doze off, leaving Mom looking like a dork with a limp leash. My advice: Taking your cat for a walk won\'t burn any calories on the cat or on you. If you want your cat to get some exercise, get a laser light.
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 20 November, 2009
    Amount of excerise depends on the cat. When I take Shade out, he runs very fast, very, very fast. He burns up many cat calories and we have lots of fun! Smudge loves to go outside for his walks too, but he is more sedate in his ramblings. He\'s a stalking kind of guy. See bird, snargle on over, watch bird, give up.
  • Sara ShakkedSara Shakked JerusalemMember Posts: 111
    edited 20 November, 2009
    I don't do it regularly, but on car trips I take a harness and leash so he can walk around at pit stops. He seems ok with it, it just makes him be off balance, so I don't let him jump in and out of the car. Gets lots of funny looks, though.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 21 November, 2009
    Tiny walks! you can even see a video of her on her harness on her page. Tiny is a natural, she took to the harness in a few days. The other two...forget it. Sassy and Angel dont like it. be sure to get a leash that is lightweight. i use a cat tie out because its long and light.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 21 November, 2009
    Louie loves to walk on his harness, you can see photos on his page. One suggestion, I find the retractable leashes the best.....find them in the dog section of the Pet Supplies. You can give the cat some room and when the leash retracts, push the buttom to keep them close to you. It is a good way for cats to work off extra energy.....I believe there is a group for Cats Who Walk On Leashes. Oh, and be prepared for people to say things like "That's a CAT on that leash!!" I want to respond......."Good Grief, all this time I though I had a dog that did not bark". Good luck and keep us posted. Louis Armstrong and Family The New Orleans Kitties
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 21 November, 2009
    just a word of caution: dont let your cat get tangeld in bushes, or climb trees. if they panic or jump and you loose control they could hurt themselfs by getting the leash tangled and flipping out.
  • Rebecca YoungRebecca Young DoulanMember Posts: 1,883
    edited 23 November, 2009
    My sister had a cat a while back that was completely halter/leash trained. We took her on a road trip, and it was funny looking at people\'s faces when we stopped at rest stops and was walking her around! :) I\'m trying to get Reuben halter trained, he does well some days, other days he has cattitude and just plops down until I take it off.:) Of course it totally depends on the cat... I tried putting the halter on Tornado a few months back and nearly lost my hands and face!:))