climbing the xmas tree!

dianna sdianna s IowaMember Posts: 723
edited 18 December, 2009 in Behavior & Training
Spike loves trees...so he has climbed the xmas tree in the last 3 hrs. Bulbs and ornaments go flying...MOL. Hubby doesnt find so funny....any ideas on how i can prevent Spike from having so much fun w/the xmas tree?

Comments

• ellen sklarellen sklar ExtonMember Posts: 256
    edited 29 November, 2009
    I'm not sure how you would completely prevent him from ever going into the tree, but I do think you should find a way to secure the tree to the ceiling so that he does not accidentally knock it over. Mika, Molly, and I like to look at the tree and sit under it on the comfy tree shirt, but we have no interest in trying to climb it.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 29 November, 2009
    I have cats, ive accepted i dont get to have a tree. my mom though she ties the tree up somehow so it dosnt tip, and keep a squirt bottle handy to get the cats if they even so much as look at it. but when our backs are turned i know they chew on it. lol i cant really blame them, i mean, its a TREE and there CATS, i mean, come on. LOL. I sometimes envy people with no cats that can have stuff not be knocked over 20X a day
  • dianna sdianna s IowaMember Posts: 723
    edited 29 November, 2009
    LOL. I got a squirt bottle, squirted him 1x and he has not been near it since...so maybe he will leave it alone!
    edited 29 November, 2009
    If he continues though i'm gonna see if hubby can tie it up...i don't blame spike he just LOVES to climb. He climbs my bookshelfs and loves to climb trees in our yard.
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 29 November, 2009
    We cannot have trees in our house...the kitties went to town last year tearing down all of our Christmas decorations :)) Good thing Mom loves us more than a Christmas tree - we wish you luck, maybe the spray bottle will do the trick?
  • Shellie DeanShellie Dean BadenMember Posts: 330
    edited 30 November, 2009
    At more than 15 lbs., I can have the tree down in minutes--I just climb near the top, then the tree falls over and all the pretty balls go rolling on the floor, and we can play \"ornament hockey\"!! But now Meowmy has taken the fun away--she took monofilament fishing line and secured the tree to 2 different spots on the window frame. Now when I climb it, it jiggles a bit, and an ornament or two may fall, but the lovely big CRASH never happens anymore. (Not nearly as much fun)!
  • Snuzzle DSnuzzle D Member Posts: 52
    edited 30 November, 2009
    They make motion activated squirters that you can put by the tree so he doesn't get it when no one's looking. Google for "Ssscat" it's just a can of compressed air with a motion sensor. I've always used squirt bottles with cats and Christmas trees, they always just go at it when you aren't looking, and scram if you so much as move for the bottle. Sigh.
    edited 30 November, 2009
    I'll have too look into that if i need to but so far..no more problems. One squirt was all it took so far MOL!
  • Janet WestJanet West StroudMember Posts: 2,239
    edited 30 November, 2009
    Some years ago, one year, when our Lucy cat was alive and I was into putting 'Lametta' on the Christmas tree (mettalic strips of glittery stuff).... I saw her sitting quietly with sparkly stuff coming out of her mouth...!!!! I had to reel the bloody Lametta out of her like reeling in a fish.....!!! I hated her ('cos I loved the FEELING that the sight of the Lametta on the tree gave me)....but I never put Lametta on the tree again.........!!!! Jan
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 30 November, 2009
    Mommy puts a doggie exercise pen around her tree, it usually keeps us out, occassionally we will get in there but not as often as when she doesn't have the pen around it.
  • Katie DillnerKatie Dillner Member Posts: 175
    edited 30 November, 2009
    My cat loves climbing the tree, he just hangs out in there! If you check out Mason\'s profile, I have some pictures of him in the tree last year:) My friend told me that she actually sprays her tree with a citrus spray and her cats won\'t go near it. It\'s worth a shot.
  • Katina JacobsonKatina Jacobson SoldotnaMember Posts: 2,302
    edited 30 November, 2009
    Munchie the pen idea is a good one! I may have to try that. We haven't put our tree up yet but I know that Sabre will try to climb it. Tyger leaves it alone every year but Sabre loves to climb so much I just know we are going to have to tie the tree to something to keep it from falling! Sadly Sabre isn't afraid of the squirt bottle, so it doesn't work for us. I hope the pen does!
    edited 30 November, 2009
    LOL Mason love the pics! Ours is a white tree..i put pics of Spike under it. The xpen sounds like a great idea..will keep the kiddos out too and Roxy our pyr stole an ornament the other day too...looks like a long wait till xmas is over! I will also check the citrus spray. going shopping tomorrow..will see what i can find!
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 1 December, 2009
    The citrus spray is a good idea. I never thought of trying that. Xena was a terror with the tree when she was a kitten but it was kind of cute. She was only little and would run up the tree, knock down an ornament, kick it around til she lost it under the sofa and then start again. The tree always looked pathetic and wonky with half the tinsel and most of the ornaments knocked off.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 1 December, 2009
    Last year it was our first christmas and mom didnt put up a tree due to the unknown of what may happen, but this year she is being super brave and is going to put up our 5 ft Martha Stewart ready lite tree.. snap snap snap, plug in and your ready to go. Lets hope we dont destroy it. If we do - mom wont get to upset cause she hates it and hates taking it down, so that will be the end of trees in our house, a table top one will be just fine.
  • Trica ReynaTrica Reyna JacknsonvilleMember Posts: 280
    edited 1 December, 2009
    Lol kitties and their trees. This is the cutest Christmas tree cat photo I've seen, You just have to laugh at this caption http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/funny-pictures-cat-hangs-angel.jpg Luckly my kitties don't climb the tree, they LOVE sleeping under it. But my moms cat climbs it and sleeps in it. I would always wake up in the morning and ask my mom why the tree wasn't decorated anymore? because it fell down from the cat lol.
  • penny lapenny la Member Posts: 3
    edited 1 December, 2009
    I'm new here, and my new kitten is here just in time for the holidays. I want to put a tree up this year , it's going to be difficult! I have had good luck with citrus sprays in the past, I am keeping my fingers crossed! good luck everyone!
    edited 2 December, 2009
    So far so good. Spike has not climbed the tree at all. Him, mickey and oliver still play w/the ornaments but at least they are not climbing it! I guess 1 water bottle squirt was all it took!
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 3 December, 2009
    OMg peaches! you are SO pretty! i am jelouse.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 3 December, 2009
    We\'ve gone from a 12 foot tree to a 7 foot one this year. I set it up yesterday and am waiting for it to get knocked over. When I yell, the cats sit under the tree and look at each other as if to say \"Did you hear something?\" I\'m hesitating to put ornaments on it and will only use the plastic ones I bought when Ernie taught Izzie how to take a flying leap off the banister into the tree. I also purchased clear twine to tie it to the window locks. So, in addition to climbing, Izzie will also learn how to tightrope walk this season! :))! There is no way to keep a cat out of a Christmas tree, I\'m convinced of this. :^:=;:?
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 3 December, 2009
    It doesn't work for ALL cats but I have been using this trick for years with different cats and it has worked for me. Take a couple of oranges, cut an 'x' in one side and place them around the bottom of the tree. Many cats HATE the smell of oranges and orange oil and will avoid the tree as long as you keep the oranges there (you may have to replace them a couple of times when they dry up.) Last Christmas I had 6 young kittens in the house and two 1-year-olds and they all left the tree alone!
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 4 December, 2009
    Meowma thinks she may get a Leyland cypress to use as a Christmas Tree--not so good for climbing, and we aren't that energetic anyway. If that fails, she might put it outside the living room window, where it can be seen but not played with!
    edited 4 December, 2009
    I have to tell you that last summer, I was peeling an orange at the kitchen sink and Izzie, as always very interested in ANYTHING that has to do with food, sat right by me while I peeled it. He even went and sniffed the peels in the garbage disposal after I was done. Do I have a weird cat or what??%:D%
    edited 4 December, 2009
    LOL i don\'t think putting oranges around the tree would work in our house..i could see all the dogs picking up the oranges and running straight out the dog door:)) Next year i want to go with a real tree. So far spike is leaving my fake one alone now..but i bet with a real one next year there will be no keeping him out of it!
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 4 December, 2009
    I used to have a dog who LOVED oranges. Any time someone picked up an orange to eat he would follow them around whining until they ate it and gave him a piece. However, he never bothered the oranges that were underneath the Xmas tree. :?
  • Toni VToni V Member Posts: 177
    edited 6 December, 2009
    Last year, we didn't put up a tree because I was in a play and had rehearsal 5 days a week, and just didn't have time. I missed it so much. We are hosting Xmas dinner this year, and I couldn't bear not to put the tree up. Milo kept creeping underneath it, and I thought it would be okay. However, once I plugged it in, he dashed right up the tree (no ornaments on it yet). I yanked the plug out and then tried to get him unstuck. I am really bummed about this. This is his third Christmas with him and I don't remember how he reacted during his first one. Our angel kitty, Mackenzie, loved to lay underneath the tree. Only twice in 12 years had he ever bugged it/brought it down. I sprayed cat boundary spray on the tree skirt but he Milo is still showing interest. I set up a bunchof toys to distract him. He's laying on his pillow right now and I am watching him out of the corner of my eye. I might try the orange trick. We'll see. Sigh.
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 6 December, 2009
    Well we don't have a Christmas tree as we don't have all that much room for one - but some friends with cats say they 'anchor' their tree to a hook that is screwed into the ceiling. I'm not sure about the aesthetics of that but I guess it works better the bigger the tree is.
  • Sarah MorganSarah Morgan TorontoMember Posts: 14
    edited 7 December, 2009
    Mummy agrees that its impossible to keep a kitty out of a tree, so we have an agreement that I can sit in the tree so long as I don't move any ornaments. If I make any noise, she drags me out, so I keep very still and just sit in the branches. My sisfur is too lazy to climb the tree - she just sits on the skirt underneath. We have a fake tree though - its more sturdy, and we can't do much damage. Mummy also bends the branches around the fragile ornaments so that we can't knock them off.
    edited 7 December, 2009
    We used to tie our 12 footer to the wall also. This year, I\'m contemplating tying the \"little\" 7 footer up, but Izzie is so big, he\'s not comfortable in the tree \'cause he doesn\'t fit in it very well. I suppose he figures it\'s not worth the hassle of climbing it, avoiding getting poked by the branches and then not fitting in it and getting yelled at anyway. So, he chases his sister Deliah off the heater vent in the floor when the furnace comes on and lays on that. =;
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 8 December, 2009
    Hobie has always been great with the tree, just liked to nap underneath it. Now with Zelda, however, we've decided to not decorate our tree this year. I admit it's upset me not being able to, but I know it's for the best. She's a very naughty girl and I know something bad would happen otherwise. I'm hoping next year when she's matured a bit more we'll be able to decorate.