Osiris has been diagnosed with diabetes. :(

Sarah_PinkSarah_Pink Chapel HillMember Posts: 153 ✭✭
edited 25 January, 2010 in Cat Health
So earlier this week, around Tuesday, I noticed Osiris acting a bit oddly. That, plus his recent weight loss worried me, and I phoned the vet up. They did a blood test, and then phoned me later on and said that Osiris had diabetes. So I've been giving Osiris insulin (after being shown how to give it) for the past few days (twice a day). He does show some signs of improvement I think. Also, I've switched them (meaning Osiris and Bastet) completely to wet food as that's better for them. I'll be home testing hopefully by next weekend. Just need to get the meter and stuff. I hope things will get under control for Osiris as I worry about him.

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 9 January, 2010
    Osiris if you have not already read these two sites, please do, its a wealth of information. Make sure you join the forums too. yourdiabeticcat.com felinediabetes.com Great that you have switched to an all wet food, many cases if this is caught early and are fed the appropriate diet cats will go into remission and not need the insulin. Let us know how it goes Purring for you :)
  • Sarah_PinkSarah_Pink Chapel HillMember Posts: 153 ✭✭
    edited 9 January, 2010
    Yep I joined the forum on felinediabetes.com. I've found the site to be really really great so far (the people there are good too). I'll have to check out the yourdiabeticcat.com site though. Hopefully Osiris will go into remission. He seems to be being a little more energetic lately, so that's good. I definitely will let you all know how it goes. Especially once I get one of those meters. Thanks for the purrs!
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 January, 2010
    What insulin are you using? Morgan's on PZIVet, and then will switch to ProZinc in November.
    edited 9 January, 2010
    Osiris is on Lantus right now. Good luck with Morgan. :)
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 January, 2010
    We had a cat that had diabetes. it is manageable. I taught my daughter how to give the insulin when we went away. I always check his BG's before shooting. You will learn how to get that drop of blood from the ear. Please go to Felinediabetes board. I did my own testing because Ben, G.A., always had higher numbers at the vet. He hated going there. They always told me high amounts and then he would be very tired. My DH learned how to give the shots too. Keep syrup on hand just in case, your cat throws up food. At first I was nervous but as times progressed, it was not problem. Ben used to scare people but he was very good about shots. He would go into the kitchen for his shot. Let me know if you have any further questions.
    edited 10 January, 2010
    Yeah the insulin isn't too difficult to do with Osiris. I've already joined the Felinediabetes board. The people there are nice and informative. :) I hope I'll learn how to get that drop of blood from his ear. Yeah, they did say that numbers are usually higher at the vet due to stress. I'll have to buy some some syrup, but for now Osiris seems like he's managing well. I'll definitely let you know if I have any questions. :D
  • Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    edited 10 January, 2010
    Hi Osiris, Another sugar cat (diabetic) here :-h. Just wanted to say that it sounds like you're doing everything right for Osiris. It looks like you're getting all the key aspects of treatment covered: low carb wet food, hometesting, insulin (Lantus is one of the better insulins); and you've joined the FDMB! =; You're doing great and you also don't sound too freaked out by this! You'll get great support and guidance at the FDMB. This can be overwhelming at times, but it's manageable, treatable and there is a good chance for remission. There's no guarantee, but with proper diet and insulin to bring down BGs, many cats do go into remission (eta: catching diabetes early and starting treatment asap is also important to increase the chances for remission). Hometesting is also important, and just to let you know if you post where you live on the FDMB, there is often someone who will come and show you how to get started with testing. Best wishes |:| and keep us updated...
    edited 11 January, 2010
    Hi Gump, Nice to meet you. :-h I'm trying to do the best I can. I'm glad that my vet prescribed one of the better insulin. She seems to know what she's doing so that's good. :) I have to admit, at first I was quite scared, but then Mom was talking with her co-workers who have had cats that have lived a long time with diabetes, so that made her feel better. I've watched a couple of videos on hometesting, so hopefully I won't screw up. I hope Osiris goes into remission, that would be wonderful. But we'll see how things go on Saturday when I do the glucose curve thingy. I'll definitely keep you all updated. :) |:|
  • Christina WahlChristina Wahl Member Posts: 164
    edited 13 January, 2010
    My brother Blackie had this his last yr or so of his life. Mom loved him and took great care of him with it even working 7 days a week and being a single pregnant girl on her own she made sure he had his shots on time daily and his food on time and always fresh water out for him and counted his crabs and even tried many foods until he liked tuna with water and dr said it was ok with a multivitamin. But PEEW that stuff stank. Mom noticed one day he was not himself and I laid next to him worried. He went to see the vet and they made mom start meds that day. Also he sure did pee a lot around the time he showed signs. Mom says he never was quite himself again but he had other health issues and was an old man.
    edited 16 January, 2010
    Well. My first try to get blood didn't go so well (didn't get any blood), but I'm going to try again later on in the day. Shh, don't tell Osiris. XD
    edited 16 January, 2010
    Hi Osiris and mom :) Hang in there with the bg testing, it does get easier! Make sure Osiris\' ear is warm (with rubbing or using a \"rick sock\"), and you can \"milk\" the drop to get more blood. You may need to poke a number of times. Also make sure the lancet device is set to the deepest setting if needed. Did you look at the homestesting tips link at FDMB? Click here Hang in there, it\'s often difficult at first, but you\'ll get it! Purrs...
    edited 16 January, 2010
    Aw you will get the hang of it and so will he. Good luck I hope it works out. Also get a wash cloth and hot water soak it then ring it out let it cool a little as you want it warm not hot. Put some alcohol on the corner of it make sure its warm still and rib his ear inside and backside, then hold the ear tight and poke. That should help. Also be sure to make a kitty burrito first.
    edited 16 January, 2010
    Just wanted to update you guys on what was going on. His blood glucose level was low this morning, quite low, so I took him to the vet. So now I've got it up to 65 after giving him kibble (which seems to have helped considering the number he was at before), and the vet said not to give him insulin for the next couple of days and then to bring him in on Monday. I'll be checking his blood sugar again in about two hours or so. Wish me luck!
    edited 16 January, 2010
    LUCK |:|
    edited 16 January, 2010
    Thanks! I appreciate it. :) Group hug everybody! |:|
  • Amy CroweAmy Crowe Member Posts: 278
    edited 16 January, 2010
    Welcome to the diabetic cat club! We are a special group. My numbers have gone as low as 75 and as high as 400. Finding the right level of insulin can really be difficult at first and so many things can alter a score. Don't worry you and your mom will be okay. And for my money, you are on a good insulin. A couple of us here are on latnus.
    edited 16 January, 2010
    Hi...Good catch and that's why it's important to hometest bgs! Had you injected Osiris when he was low, that could be trouble. When they go low, you can also give some higher carb wet food (I believe it can work quicker to bring up the bgs). It can take some time to get them regulated and figure the right dose (though insulin dose requirements can always change). You'd already been giving him Lantus for a few days, right? Curious what the dose was? There is a Lantus group at FDMB - maybe you already know that. I saw a few of your posts on the main board. :) Did you get any more later tests/numbers? I'll be curious to see how his numbers are without the insulin. It sounds like you're getting the testing down. Hugs |:| and welcome to the Sugar Dance and the Vampire Club
    edited 17 January, 2010
    The feline diabetes website talks about various things that can alter your blood glucose levels. One troubling problem is that your BG numbers can go up if you are angry or frightened. And let me tell you, when your mom is first learning to use the glucometer, a kitty can get pretty irked sitting in one place for so long. It doesn't hurt or anything, but I am a mancat, I've got things to do and don't really want my moms messing with my ear. When you get your glucometer, the vet should tell you the best time to take readings. If my BG goes below a 100, my moms make sure I get a snack to increase me levels.
    edited 17 January, 2010
    Hey all. The dose was just one unit. But I've stopped for the weekend (as per vet orders) so I can see how his bg level changes. I just tested it (would have tested it a bit earlier, but I fell asleep), and it's at 294, which the vet said was okay. I'll test again in the morning I think so I can see how it changes.
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 January, 2010
    294 is high. Ben's best numbers were around one hundred. If he dropped below that, he got a snack. You will be able to tell if he is doing well. My vet wanted to do the check at her place but in time, she saw that Ben did better when I did the counts at home. I would do one every two hours for about four times. It would tell me how many units to give. He would take only one in the three years that he was diabetic. Rubbing the ear would help with the blood issue. At first, I would miss....oh well, I would prick myself....not to ruin...I would check my numbers....would not to waste a check.....Felinediabetes board saved me time and money. It was cheaper to do my own checks. The vet charged about one hundred and I could do it for 6-8 dollars. This was back in 2000.....Good luck and keep in touch....Bamcat
    edited 18 January, 2010
    294 is a higher reading, but given that he has not been on insulin all weekend, that is pretty darn good. I was on vetsulin for a while and was getting readings in the 300 and 400s. Given how low your BG was on one unit, and that it was only 294 when you are off, you may be looking at taking a really low dose of insulin. You may even be lucky enough to control your diabetes with a restricted diet at some point!
    edited 18 January, 2010
    Yeah. It's just that his readings have been changing a bit through the weekend, to sometimes fairly low (not as low as the first time though thankfully). But I think you may be right, Osiris might be lucky enough to just be on a restricted diet. So we'll see what today brings. I'll post an update after I pick him up at the end of the day.
    edited 18 January, 2010
    I think the feline diabetes website has a chart showing the expected BG curve over a period of 24 hours. BG levels will change throughout the day even for a normal kitty depending on when the cat ate, when/if the cat was given insulin, when the cat was playing, when the cat was spooked by the vacuum cleaner, etc. So it is not surprising that you are seeing variation in the numbers. The question is what Osiris' numbers are at a given time from one day to the next. Hopefully your vet will tell you the best times to check, and then you can just do readings during those times and compare them over a week.
    edited 24 January, 2010
    Hi Osiris, How are you doing? I\'ve been thinking about you and wondering how it\'s going with the insulin and testing? What kind of numbers are you getting? Did you check out the Lantus group (insulin support group) at the FDMB? Hope you see this and hope all is well, Gump
  • Cass DoolittleCass Doolittle FlandersMember Posts: 341
    edited 25 January, 2010
    Hey, Osiris. I\'m writing this for my departed brofur Putney (\'cause I\'m the only cat in my house old enough to remember him). Putney was diagnosed with diabetes in 1989, when he was about 15 years old. Back then, you took human insulin, NPK, with a child-size needle to get the quarter or half unit you needed, and your Mom had to check your sugar level by shutting you into the half-bath at night with a litter box that had only a tablespoon of litter in it. In the morning, she would check the urine with a dipstick. By comparison, today\'s feline diabetes management is much easier and more exact. Putney would have loved the ear-prick. He would have been able to sleep on the bed with us at night. Shortly after he was diagnosed, we moved to a farm, and he was allowed outside. He ate grass and exercised, and slowly lost about 7 pounds, dropping from 22 to 15 pounds (he was a big cat). After about 8 months, his dipstick measurements came up normal. Mom stopped the insulin. Putney crossed the bridge just one week short of his 21st birthday. Dang, he wanted that legal martini!