Anesthesia, good or bad for me?

Kenneth WickiserKenneth Wickiser TobyhannaMember Posts: 5
edited 11 January, 2010 in Cat Health
I need to get groomed but I'm really nasty to the nice vets. I get groomed once yearly. Right now I have some matted areas around my back leg and butt. Is anesthesia bad for me? Is it ok if I get ''put under'' once a year so I can be gorgeous?

Comments

• Suzanne BrunerSuzanne Bruner Member Posts: 440
    edited 10 January, 2010
    Cats are very sensitive creatures, and anesthesia has some very serious complications for some cats. Sometimes they die as a result of these complications, so I am of the opinion that a cat should never be anesthetized unless there are no other options. However, mats are painful and cause kitties a great deal of stress, which can also be harmful. Is there a way for your vet to lightly sedate the cat without putting him/her completely under?
  • Teresa HawkinsTeresa Hawkins McHenryMember Posts: 415
    edited 11 January, 2010
    Mats can indeed cause painful skin problems. I am so nasty that the vet has to give me a little gas just to do an exam, at which time Mom always has my butt and thighs shaved, cause there's always mats. You could try some rescue remedy, or ask your vet for a light sedative (teeny dose of Valium or the like) for grooming purposes.