Passing... clot (?) in my urine?

D'Ann LallyD'Ann Lally EugeneMember Posts: 7,984
edited 25 January, 2010 in Cat Health
A few weeks ago Momma heard me yowling loudly upstairs and when she came to check on me, I was squatting on the bathroom rug, peeing and I passed a fleshy-looking bright red... chunk. The way I sounded while I was passing it, was like I was in extreme pain. It happened again tonight. I take Lasix and Benazapril for a heart condition. In all of my 16 years I have never not used my litter box, unless I go outside, so Mom takes my going on the bathroom rug as a sign that something is wrong with me. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Can anyone offer me advice? I\'ve also been very sick over the past couple of weeks, coughing alot and some vomiting. For the past three days or so, I\'ve stopped vomiting , my cough is nearly under control and I seem to be well on my way to my old self - except now this urine problem. Mom is really worried about me, but since finances are a major factor for my family at this time, she doesn\'t want to go rushing me to the vet unless she thinks it\'s necessary and going to help me.

Comments

• Christina WahlChristina Wahl Member Posts: 164
    edited 12 January, 2010
    I would follow up with a vet. I found this and it might help. http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/f/foodurinaryhlth.htm I know there is a cat food my friend uses but shes not online to ask. Its OTC and for UTI kittys. Ask your vet.
    edited 12 January, 2010
    Oh yes if you cant afford to see a vet call your local shelter. Then ask them if any one in the area helps out people whom cant afford a vet but need to see one. I know San Diego has many programs and vets to help out. I also know all over the place they are doing this now due to economy. Its better then pets suffering or people giving them up. They can also sometimes help out with food too. I do hope he feels well soon.
  • D'Ann LallyD'Ann Lally EugeneMember Posts: 7,984
    edited 12 January, 2010
    Thank you, Ziggy.|:| I will definitely check into your suggestions and have a look at the link. I appreciate your advice.:D
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 13 January, 2010
    I agree, its worth a trip to the vet for this. It could be a bladder stone or irritation caused by infection or crystals in Rosie's urine that is causing bleeding in her bladder. It's more than just a drop of blood to be able to form a clot like that so its worth a vet trip as it could get serious if left alone. The vet will be able to confirm what's going on and I hope you can find a low cost clinic that can help you.
    edited 13 January, 2010
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 13 January, 2010
    Yes you should see a vet asap! This sounds like something that could cause death if not treated! I was a Vet Tech at one time, for 5 years and it was my duty to decide if I wanted to call the vet at 3 am. This would be one of those calls I would make. It could be stones or crystals and needs to be handled asap! Please go to the spca near you and see if they can help. Ask if they will work with u on payment plans. They do not need any more cats in there shelter and may work with you if you bring that fact up. I do not think they will but one could always hope. Just show up and see what they can do. Good Luck Dawn |:|
    edited 13 January, 2010
    ;c;=; Thanks, Ziggy! Mom's going to read all about it and talk to the vet. And thank you and Sassy and P.C. for your advice and concern.|:||:||:| Mom is going to get me in to see a vet as soon as possible, no matter what. She says she'll figure out a way to pay. She always does. I'll keep updates here and in my diary. We really, really appreciate your honest opinions , advice and concern. Thank you! |:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:||:| Hey, WOW! I just found out I'm a Daily Diary Pick today!;c;:r:D~a~
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 13 January, 2010
    "Hey, WOW! I just found out I'm a Daily Diary Pick today!" CONGRATZ Rosie!!!!! |/h/| =; ;c;
  • kristina bkristina b Member Posts: 169
    edited 13 January, 2010
    Suli, my 20 year old passed blood in her pee and strained like crazy but no pee. I dosed her heavy with cranberry powder in canned food with water added, several times a day. She had IBD from which the Vet gave her Prednisolone, I added 2.5mg 3times the first day. After the first 24 hours there was no more blood, just pee. I stopped the pred, but continued with the cranberry. She never got cystitis again. If Emma doesn't drink enough, her pee concentrates and then she gets cystitis. Her Vet had never seen a cat who does that. For awhile the cran-berry worked, but that got boring (for me!). Now she gets 'slop' everynight - canned food mixed with water and her concentrated pee has never been an issue again.
    edited 25 January, 2010
    Although I have been updating my Diary, I apologize for not having posted here again to let you all know how I\'m doing.:r My vet put me on a 14 day course of Baytril (antibiotics) to treat me for a UTI. I took the Baytril for 11 days at which point Momma stopped giving it to me. I have not had any more trouble with my urinating but I have been throwing up alot. When I throw up because of my heart condition, it is usually just clear fluid. Since a few days after beginning the Baytril, I\'ve been vomiting not only clear fluid, but my food also. Momma was thinking that my tummy was upset from the Baytril. I stopped the Baytril on Saturday and I only vomited twice on Sunday and hadn\'t at all today... until just a few minutes ago. :( Momma called my vet on Saturday, but apparently her office is no longer open on Saturdays, so she called back again this morning. Dr. Johnson won\'t be in until tomorrow and she will call Momma back then. Hopefully she will have some good ideas about what is going on with me and what we can do to help me stop my vomiting and coughing. Perhaps she will want to increase, or change, my heart medication. It sure seems like the urinary troubles have stopped, so the Baytril probably did the trick there.;c; I will continue to update my Diary. Momma and I appreciate all of the advice, concern and purrs that we have been getting from so many wonderfur furiends. Thank you so much!:c9 |:|