Litter Maid, wet food, potty issues help/ advice

Christina WahlChristina Wahl Member Posts: 164
edited 19 January, 2010 in Cat Health
Ok so I got the one on amazon with my free prime shipping came to like 70.00! YAY I hope this will help Ziggy and make his potty time better. What do you think about this product? Do you own one? What litter do you use? Any advice or tricks? Does your kitty like it? Hes been not wanting to go potty in his cat boxes since hes gotten so large my XL with cover and huge booda dome in the XL size you order online were so tiny he was also stepping in pee and poop so this just was not ok. He has not used it yet but seems interested. He almost went to use it while I was setting it up but I had to stop him as it had no litter yet. LOL I also hope Char Char likes it. I think it will be a hit, as it will be extra clean for them now as it cleans its self after 5 mins I think. I will let you all know how it goes. I had one 8 yrs ago and replaced it a few times with one 30 lbs cat whom peed and pooped like huge dog. I am going to be switching Ziggy slowly to grain free here when most of his 10 lbs of cat food is gone and were going wet too. I read up a lot the last two days on it and decided it was best. I was looking into wellness as I liked it best from reading. Which food do you feed? Do you like it? How much does it cost you and where do you get it? I also think it will work with char char and it might be her new food too. I might even switch the dogs over if it goes well. What do you all think about this product for cats and / or dogs? I heard someone say there is a pet food which is grain free for dogs and cats? I mean I think it would be bad for them with not having the right vitamins as they require different intakes and kinds with some of them.

Comments

• Katie DillnerKatie Dillner Member Posts: 175
    edited 16 January, 2010
    I\'ve never used the automatic litterboxes, but I have friends who have used them and said they were always breaking. I purchased a litterbox from Amazon that actually looks like a ceramic pot with a plant on top. It fits well into the corner of my bedroom and my cats like it. Petsmart sells a HUGE litterbox that is made for a multiple cat household but I have a friend that purchased it for her Maine Coon who was using the house as his bathroom because his litterbox was too small and the problem was solved. As for wet food I have my male cat on Weruva canned food and my female is on the Wellness Pouches. It is quite expensive but my cats have had a lot of health problems in the last year and I don\'t want to keep changing their food around.
  • Christina WahlChristina Wahl Member Posts: 164
    edited 16 January, 2010
    edited 16 January, 2010
    The litter box I currently have is this one, http://www.amazon.com/Booda-Dome-Cleanstep-Cat-Titanium/dp/B0002DH8L4 We have two other L-XL litter boxes and they are all to small. Plus I am lazy and wanted a litter maid. If it doesn't work out I got it threw amazon so I can return it. You have 30 days. I honestly LOVE the booda dome liter box and tell everyone if they want a great oder controling box to get it. Mine is red too which I love. We are keeping this one too for next to the litter maid as I know it will take some time to get the cats acclimated to it. Ziggy also loved this box the most, but recently hes been peeing else where and hes not sick or anything and his box is clean. But he just gets mad and so he does it in front of me like LOOK mom I hate I cant pee like this in my box its to tiny. He even went in looked at me sad to say the same thing so I got the message. I saw the dog litter boxes and almost got that but figured we would try the lazy litter maid first. If this doesn't work I will return it and get the doggie one. *back to topics at hand* So which is best for a small kitty whom doesn't eat much and needs high protein and fat like a kitten food but that is grain free? Also which is best to help a large male kitten grow well but burn fat well and grain free. He also needs something good for bladder. I have a bad feeling since I got him he will some day have this issue. I read you can feed them cranberry and this helps aid it but do any wet or dry food have this?
  • Katie DillnerKatie Dillner Member Posts: 175
    edited 16 January, 2010
    Yep that is the litterbox I have. The plant is a bit cheap looking but my husband and I are the only ones that see it, and I thought it was better looking than a regular litterbox sitting in our bedroom. As for cat food, Wellness canned food is recommended by many people because it is high protein and low carb. It also contains cranberries. Other brands you might want to try are: Blue Wilderness, Innova, Merrick, and Natural Balance. Although I like Weruva I wouldn\'t recommend feeding it to a kitten because it is low in fat. I would also not feed your kitties a lot of fish. Fish cat food is higher in mineral content which can lead to crystals and other urinary problems. It\'s okay once in a while but not all the time. The best thing for any cat with urinary issues is water so canned food is definitely best and you can always add extra water to it. Good Luck!
    edited 17 January, 2010
    I only had one cat ever whom would eat fish. So dont worry about that promise. :)
    edited 17 January, 2010
    I also liked natural balance as they are better for the pets not grain free but still much better then iams or other cheaper made brands. And they are not to pricey either. I did like the wellness CORE. Anyone try these items?
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 18 January, 2010
    for the litterbox - general info...I read somwhere to use the big stainles steel pans that I guess you could get at a restaurant supply, as they are easy to keep clean & bigger. also I read someone use one of those rubbermaid type larger tubs. we are in a food transition too..there is so much out there it can make one a little nutty
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 19 January, 2010
    Sussie Q - I think that the best food for a growing kitten, other than raw, is canned EVO Cat & Kitten - http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?panel=ga&id=1501. It is high in protein (crude protein min 12%) and fat (crude fat min 8%). My 1 and a half year old boys still get it in their rotation. You mentioned a canned food that is for both cats & dogs; are you thinking of Nature\'s Vartiety Instincts? Apparently the only formulation difference between the cat & dog Instincts is that the dog version has a slithgly higher percentage of vegetables. There was a thread in the Food & Nutrition forum a while back about this product if you want to look for it. I\'ve bought the \"dog\" sized lamb for my cats a couple of times and it seems ok, but I would hesitate to use it as my only food. The amount of taurine is the same in the dog food as the cat, but I\'m not a fan of vegetables in cat food. Purrs, Shade
  • Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 19 January, 2010
    I LOVED my Littermaid! Only mom can't use it now as she does not have a place to plug it in (I chewed the cord once, so it has to be "protected"):((
    edited 19 January, 2010
    Cord issue, You could get this, http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Products/Home-Safety/Electrical/Details/67-48308-Outlet-Cover-with-Cord-Shortener And get this, http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_550932#close Home depot will have both items. You need a plastic tube like thing that is wrapped like a phone cord and place it on the wire. Then plug proctor over the rest. Make sense? Shadow I was just seeing if anyone knew more on that food. But my husband wants me to keep them on iams for his dogs and said I can give my cats what ever I want as long as it wont raise my food bill to much. So I so far got iams wet food and will look around for prices on better food for them. I wish Char Char would eat raw or home made food.