smelly boy - weird question

Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
edited 20 January, 2010 in Cat Health
Not sure if this gets posted in health, but I gotta ask. Tig is neutered, but once when he had to get a bath and he got himself all upset (he had rolled in mud), and a few times here & there, not always was he upset, he gets the stinky behind. It will get on you or your clothes and it is pretty darn funky. I mean take your shirt & wash it right now funky. Is this a normal thing for male cats or a sign of something else? Maizy has never had this issue. Do they musk or something? Luckily he is so darn cute! mol

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 19 January, 2010
    This could be anal secretions that you are talking about, he may need his anal glands expressed.
  • Heide LevineHeide Levine Member Posts: 313
    edited 19 January, 2010
    Yup... It sounds like Anal gland expression... It's FOUL and oily... Anal glands in cats are similar to the scent glands in skunks. The glands secrete an oily, foul-smelling substance as a means of marking territory or warding off potential predators. They can be expressed the same way as a dog... However it's DEFINITELY a 2 person job and I'd leave it to a vet to take care of if it were me... too much risk of kitty going crazy to get away. The substance requires washing because of the oil so nope you're not crazy :D
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 19 January, 2010
    ok so I will ask for them to do it when I go to the vet. ah not something I really wanna do anyways MOL. Is something that happens alot, or is an underlying condition causing this with him?
  • Babydoll MackeyBabydoll Mackey Fort WayneMember Posts: 384
    edited 19 January, 2010
    i always have a stinky butt.. mom will sometimes get a warm wet clothe and rub lightly.. sometimes stuff will come out, sometimes not.. she can't do it for long though because i hiss and growl :)
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 19 January, 2010
    Thanks everyone for your help with my ahem little problem. maybe I can have mom try that warm cloth thingie tonite
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 19 January, 2010
    Some of yus just have more gunk than others (me, for instance :r) I go get 'squeezed' a couple times a year; I don't think rubbing it will get very much of the oil out at all, they really need squeezed while someone holds onto the front end. You might be shocked at how much nastiness comes out.
  • Christina WahlChristina Wahl Member Posts: 164
    edited 19 January, 2010
    Yes Anal needs to be cleaned. I agree I do this every once in awhile to my pets at home in the bath. I used to groom all my pets and worked for a groomer so I learned how. Not fun stuff. The vet will do this or a pet groomer if you ask. :)
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 19 January, 2010
    Let me tell you - puuuu! I had infected impacked anal glands. Mom almost had to move out of the house. Now that I have them expressed every month or so our house smells better. Not Fun and Mom won't do it cause I'm a little hissy - bite bite!!!
  • Christina WahlChristina Wahl Member Posts: 164
    edited 19 January, 2010
    Try kitty burrito with gloves on in bath rub use bleach after words will kill it and the smell.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 20 January, 2010
    The vet just wears gloves and uses a thick pad of tissue so the stuff doesn't 'squirt'...YUCK. Still, it's better than Meowma trying to bathe me; I stay clean and fo NOT intend to get a bath!