I have uveitis. :(

Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
edited 22 January, 2010 in Cat Health
Just rushed Zelda into the ER vet. She's been really off all day and then the final straw was when she refused treats tonight. The vet diagnosed her with uveitis and gave some meds. He did not see any scratches or anything with the stain test. We're taking her to the regular vet tomorrow morning for an infectious disease panel. I'm very upset not knowing what caused this, the only thing I can think of is toxoplasmosis - she did have raw chicken hearts and gizzards last Wednesday. Another symptom is different shaped pupils, which she's always had. I'm just worried, hoping someone else has some advice. P.S. For anyone who remembers, she had odd bloodwork come back at the beginning of the month, we had that retested and it was normal .

Comments

• Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 20 January, 2010
    That sounds awful- we are purring for you...
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 20 January, 2010
    Just got back from the regular vet. Zelda has toxoplasmosis, and the only way she could have gotten it was from her raw food. I'm really upset about this, because it was entirely preventable. I was wary of raw, but thought I'd give it a go. I asked tons of people about it, fully researched it, and yet toxoplasmosis was barely mentioned. Most people even scoffed and said not to worry about it, or had no idea what it was. Now after $350 at the vet, I've sure educated myself. Poor Zelda is very sick. She ought to recover fully, but it will take quite a while for her to bounce back. She's basically a little lump right now who doesn't want to leave my side.
  • Katie DillnerKatie Dillner Member Posts: 175
    edited 20 January, 2010
    So sorry to hear that you\'re sick. I know that many people are advocates for the raw diet and that it works for many cats. I tried Nature\'s Variety Raw and within a month of feeding it to my cats both developed urinary issues, and they are not related to each other. I hope that you feel better soon.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 21 January, 2010
    Poor Zelda. We'll purr for you. And yeah, this is why mom will not do raw no matter how much everyone recommends it. She's worried that either we'll get toxo (unacceptable since she's also trying to work on having furless kittens soon) or she'll get salmonella from preparing the food. Yes, she's read a lot about it, but to her it's not worth the risk at all when we have wet food we love, and that we are thriving on.
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 21 January, 2010
    Purring for Zelda |:| Raw feeding has always made me nervous- this makes it scarier to me.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 21 January, 2010
    Thank you for the kind purrs. Here's a link with a bit more information that I've found: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/toxoplasmosis.html It seems that pregnant women are more likely to get it from undercooked meat, but personally I think any risk is unacceptable. Zelda is doing much better, she is still staying very close to me, but even played with her brofurs a bit earlier today.
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 21 January, 2010
    Glad to hear your little one is doing better. Leo had a toxoplasmosis scare in September- it turned out to be a neurological condition instead but it was so scary. Luckily he's almost fully recovered now. Purrs for a quick recovery!
  • Cass DoolittleCass Doolittle FlandersMember Posts: 341
    edited 21 January, 2010
    Glad to hear that Princess Zelda is feeling a bit better. Purrs all around from our household for her rapid recovery. Seems like toxo is high on the list of suspicions of many vets. Mine thought that initially, too, when I took ill. I guess I can understand that. On occasion, a stupid small rodent enters our old, stone-cellared house and rarely leaves it still breathing. So we could theoretically be eating raw meat. But none of us has ever actually eaten one. Once it stops moving, we bat it around a bit and then move on to more interesting activities, leaving Mom to discover it under the dining room table a half-hour before her dinner guests arrive.
  • Erin ZaringErin Zaring Curbside Care Mobile VeterinarMember Posts: 1
    edited 22 January, 2010
    Poor Zelda! That does not sound like much fun. My mom is a vet, and she said that it sounds like you are getting very good care from your vet. She too does not recommend raw food. She said it can make dogs and cats sick, just like it can make people sick. I'm sorry that you got so much mis-information about raw diets. :( I'm glad you are now spreading the word that raw diets do have risks. Feel better soon! Love, Sammy :^: