Counter Prowling

Tain RoseTain Rose Member Posts: 978
edited 27 January, 2010 in Cat Health
hello Catsters! recently i\'ve been hanging around the counters, waiting for moma or someone else to leave for a second, then I steal any fewd and hide! moma caught me trying to pick up a steak she was tenderizing. she also caught me with mashed potatoes, ranch, and sometimes even cheetos. she said it gave me a cute cheese\'stache though! but moma got worried that it wasn\'t healthy and something might happen to me. ): what do you kitties think?

Comments

• Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 19 January, 2010
    It can be a very dangerous habit. Hobie did this in his younger days and one time he got my father-in-law's vitamins. A trip to the vet later he was fine, but it could have ended badly. We now keep all counters clear, we never leave anything out that they could get. I would not leave food unattended on the counters, and make sure nothing else tempting is ever out. Chewing gum with zylitol is especially toxic to kitties.
  • Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 19 January, 2010
    MOL.... Well, some things can hurt us kitties. Things like garlic and onions are toxic to kitties. Tempting as it may be, you need to try to stay away from the counter.
  • Tain RoseTain Rose Member Posts: 978
    edited 20 January, 2010
    my moma started putting plates over food shes about to cook or tenderizing. so now i have to start being really sneaky! shes trying to distract me with tuna too. i wonder if she knows sharing is caring?! come on moma! moma says when we move soon there will be no kitties on the counter. :( and yuck! pills! my moma was dissolving a pill in a cup for her brother cause he was sick, i took a sniff and stuck my nose in the air. with attitude of course! well.. if it\'s a pill made of fish i\'ll eat it, maybe. =;
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 January, 2010
    I keep mine clear and make a lot of noise if they get on them. You can put bells and other noise makers on the counter. They hate noise. They are too curious for their own good......
  • Aaron LeeAaron Lee SeattleMember Posts: 251
    edited 21 January, 2010
    Guess we got lucky, Matt just hangs out under where food is prepared, hoping some will drop! Good luck!
  • Jennifer NovakJennifer Novak DC (But my heart is still in BMember Posts: 595
    edited 21 January, 2010
    I love this post! =D> I jsut started to explore the counters last week. You can read about all of my dangerous deeds in my diary. I had never done this before, so Meowm just thought I was over it and didn't care. HA! (If she only knew half of what I did while she was at work!) Long story short...I kinda broke a couple of things. Luckily, they were already in the sink, so they just shattered in the sink, and I didn't get hurt. (Meowm picked and poked at me to make sure!) She covered our counter with recyclable bottles and put empty pots on the burners on the stove to barricade me. So far, I've made it up there once, but I see that she's added a few things. We're getting company this weekend, though, so I know she'll move that stuff before our company comes! %:D% And now I'm really trying to behave...sorta... Purrs, Coop
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 23 January, 2010
    cookie sheets+water==EEEEK!
  • Katherine TildesKatherine Tildes Member Posts: 234
    edited 23 January, 2010
    ive been thinking about how to get my cats OFF THE COUNTERS, as it drives me nuts!! Ive been pondering the idea of a Scram Mat or a spray or something...any one try these?
  • Mary ComminsMary Commins AntiochMember Posts: 55,502
    edited 23 January, 2010
    we have to eat on the counter cause of our stupid beagle, but theres never anything good up there besides our catfood and maybe some papers to knock off
  • Cass DoolittleCass Doolittle FlandersMember Posts: 341
    edited 23 January, 2010
    Me and my bros eat on the counter to keep our weight-challenged sisfurs from cleaning up our plates. Not Mom\'s favorite solution,though, mostly because she has a ceramic-topped range that looks a heck of a lot like a counter to us. I made the mistake of taking a shortcut across the range one morning. No burners were active, but it takes a while for those electric grids to cool down. Mom had never seen me jump so high or move so fast. I wasn\'t seriously injured, but it was enough to make her change her habits. When the range is turned off, an empty pot goes on top of the hot burner. Nothing else that is possibly injurious to kitties is left on the countertop. In fact, as little as possible is left on the countertop, because otherwise letters, eyeglasses, keys and such are on the floor in no time. I personally love knocking the pens slightly off to the right so they roll under the range.
  • kristina bkristina b Member Posts: 169
    edited 27 January, 2010
    Our mom feeds us all on the counter, with the water bowls too, because she is too lazy to bend down to pick up the food&water bowls. Our kitchen is tiny -6'x6', so there's no room for bowls on the floor. And she is anal about her edibles on the counter too. Such a bore! She tells us that we'll moving to a house where a bedroom will converted to a cat room - our litter boxes, and cabinets/counter for our bowls. Dad wants the kitchen off-limits to us when he's cooking. :( He's such a bore too.