Radial Hypoplasia

Kate RousseauKate Rousseau West KennebunkMember Posts: 113
edited 15 September, 2012 in Cat Health
I was just curious if anyone else here had a cat with radial hypoplasia. My cat Crook has it, and although just being a tad clumsy, I haven't seen any real draw backs. Was just wondering if anyone had or has a cat with the same condition.

Comments

• Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 21 January, 2010
    I have not had any animals with this, but I was looking on line and found a lot of sites to help you with info. Here is just one of many; http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/resources/articles/cats/49-disabled-cats-caring-for-twisty-cat.htm Bless you for taking on such a task! =D>
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 21 January, 2010
    i had a cat milo who had this. He was fine untill some people bullyed me into getting his leg amputated. he died shortly after surgery. as i understand he would have been fine without it. A lession learned. only do this if the cat is in pain and cannot get around. cats with this have it since birth and are not in pain. he should be fine
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 21 January, 2010
    Thank You Burr Burr.. I did not know that! We all hope things remain well as can be for you! Head butts and Purrs from all or us! Soot and clan!
  • Kate RousseauKate Rousseau West KennebunkMember Posts: 113
    edited 22 January, 2010
    He certainly doesn't appear to be in any pain and he gets around just fine =)
  • Vira KatolikVira Katolik LansdaleMember Posts: 2
    edited 19 December, 2010
    How is your cat with radial hypoplasia doing? about 2 months ago I took in a stray who walks with a limp. Now I realize she has short front legs, and her left leg looks a bit deformed, sort of as if her wrist bend back to far. However, she can run up and down the stairs no problem! She just doesn't jump up on anything. She is a sweetheart. I think she may have RH.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 22 December, 2010
    The radius is part of the front leg bone in the cat. Hypo-means less then and plasia reffers to formation (usually of cells) so basicly anytime the bone dosnt grown correctly in the radius (which makes up the "forarm" along with the ulna bone) so if kitty has short 'forarms" they may have RH
  • ellen sklarellen sklar ExtonMember Posts: 256
    edited 20 August, 2011
    I have radial hypoplasia and it doesn't slow me down at all.
  • Nellie HeartNellie Heart Member Posts: 1
    edited 15 September, 2012
    Have Radial Hypoplasia kitties up for adoption two brothers (509) 624-0092 for information Cook's Crippled Cat Sanctuary Spokane WA