Allergic reaction on head and neck

Carol GordonCarol Gordon Member Posts: 10
edited 10 February, 2010 in Cat Health
One of my cats has developed scabby spots on his head and neck, from scratching. It's happened on and off, now mostly on, for approx a year. We've tried changing food, treating the area, giving several different meds, with no improvement. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 27 January, 2010
    Tuggy, this sounds like me almost 2 years ago - I was half bald and scabby from scratching. My problem turned out to be allergies - mom thinks it's both food and environmental. The first step would be an elimination diet. You have to stay on a single, novel, protein source for 12 weeks. Mine was rabbit, but it should be something you've never had before. I also take Atopica and between the diet and the meds we keep it under control. Your vet may not diagnose allergies directly - a lot of times it's a process of eliminating all other possibilities. The vet will usually take a skin scraping and see if there's anything there that's causing the itching. We found a dermatologist (!) who was able to help me. Allergies are difficult to treat, but not impossible - look at me now! Please feel free to pawmail me if you'd like any more info.
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 27 January, 2010
    Is there anything else that you have changed? it could be something as simple as a different detergent on spots where kitty naps, or the litter. I agree with BK it sound like an allergy to something. It is ike a detective game at this point, trying to pin it down.
  • Carol GordonCarol Gordon Member Posts: 10
    edited 27 January, 2010
    Any suggestions for a good food to start with? We've tried several of the allergy diets with "novel" types of meat and my cats won't eat them.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 27 January, 2010
    Have you tried Natural Balance venison or duck? That's what we used before we went raw.
  • Mandy NeumannMandy Neumann Englewood, OhioMember Posts: 5
    edited 9 February, 2010
    What kind of food dish does your kitty have? Our vet mentioned the itching can be an allergy to plastic products. So if you are using plastic feeding bowls, try steel or glass. It might not be the only source of trouble but it sure would be nice if it was this simple a fix. Good luck!
  • Carol GordonCarol Gordon Member Posts: 10
    edited 10 February, 2010
    We just started NB Duck and I will change the food dish. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll let you know how it turns out.