just a general question

Arlye DruryArlye Drury DartmouthMember Posts: 826
edited 30 January, 2010 in Cat Health
many cats like broth and/or gravy in their foods, is it ok to give them canned broth or gravy?

Comments

• Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 29 January, 2010
    Hmmm... My biggest concern would be the salt content and if there is garlic or onion in it.... It also has a high carb content with the flour....
  • Arlye DruryArlye Drury DartmouthMember Posts: 826
    edited 29 January, 2010
    yes, I am concerned about the the garlic an dthe onion too, especially since the cat in question has a rcent history of liver problems.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 30 January, 2010
    The best is to make the broth yourself which is really easy and is much safer for your cats as it contains none of the garlic etc that is bad for cats. At the grocery meat counter/butchers see if you can get chicken backs or if not a chicken thigh will do. If its a chicken back put it in a couple of pints of water. If its a chicken thigh cut the meat/skin into pieces and put everything including the bone into the water. Bring it to the boil and then simmer it gently for about 30 mins. Let it cool down and you\'ll have a couple of pints of weak stock that your cats will love. You can pick off all the meat/skin and that will make a tasty meal for them. Just throw the bones away after you made the stock. If you cook for your family you can also make stock with pretty much any leftover trimmings of meat/fish, giblets or the bony carcass from a roast chicken etc (watch out for the store rotisserie chickens that have a lot of flavoring on them as they wouldn\'t be good). You can save up small bits and pieces you have in a plastic bag in the freezer and cook it up when you have enough. To us the weak stock with no onion or seasoning tastes terrible but the cats love it and it is safe for them as it doen\'t contain anything like garlic that is in all the commercial broths.
  • Arlye DruryArlye Drury DartmouthMember Posts: 826
    edited 30 January, 2010
    thanks Sassy, my mom just needed cofirmation that broth and gravy meant for human consumption is not good for cats - I appreciate your help!
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 30 January, 2010
    Are you talking about gravy/broth added to wet food or dry food? :D Wet food, if they like it soupy, you can add a little water and mix it. I have 2 that have to have it done this way. Prowler is prone to crystals, this increases his water intake, and keeps him flushed out. Smokey had liver issues too, this keeps her flushed out too. Prowler's is like a broth, Smokey's is more of a thick soup. I would not add water/gravy/broth, etc to dry food, this can cause bacteria to grow, it releases something, forget now what, on the dry, when added to water, but its not good, the others prob remember, and it can cause the dry food to expand in their tummys, which is not good either. If your looking to just give them a treat, per say, you can mix 1 teaspoon baby food, Beechnut chicken or turkey ONLY, with a little water. Here is a link of people foods you should not feed and why. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=1029