Need Prayers Please

KIM JOHNSONKIM JOHNSON NUTLEYMember Posts: 387
edited 18 February, 2010 in Cat Health
My mom is going to tell my story for me... Maggie is a young cat & is one of those cats that is special to so many people. She never scratches the furniture or has ever done anything wrong. If she goes in my closet...I just have to say, No, No Maggie and she puts her head down & comes out. She loves to eat & play. She stuck by me through cancer & sleeps on my pillow every night. She gives me licks on my forehead everytime she jumps into bed, so I cannot sleep without her! I was away on business and my husband takes very good care of the 4 cats when I am gone. He didn\'t see her come down to eat, so he looked under the bed & saw her sleeping. He thought maybe she wasn\'t feeling good & he\'ll check her in the morning. Saturday, he saw her in the same position & propped up the heavy bed to get her out. Her paw was curled & she couldn\'t stand. After rushing her to 2 vets/animal hospitals, we brought her to the expensive hospital where they have the experts. The doc ruled out blood clots & anything fractured. They took blood & said they could do an MRI, but it was $3,000 and that still may lead to more testing & operations. So, they let us take her home. I finally flew in from my trip at 10pm last night & I cannot stop crying. My mother & my Father In Law also have been here & they are crying. So, you know how much this cat has meant to us in her young life. She cannot stand to even go to the litter box. We only saw her pee once & she just let go on the table at the vet. She is eating & drinking & responds to her name. She\'s not crying & purrs when we pet her. We don\'t know what happened & even the doctors have said they don\'t see any trauma. Does anyone have any advice? I can\'t let her suffer like this....its heart breaking. But, I am finding it so hard to think about putting her down when she\'s responsive & is eating. We need a miracle.:((

Comments

• Katherine TildesKatherine Tildes Member Posts: 234
    edited 31 January, 2010
    Tragic!! This sounds like something neurological to me, which there isnt much you can do. Poor thing!! give her lots of love and let her know shes safe. I'll send her some reiki energy (healing). |/a/|
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 31 January, 2010
    Sending healing purrs. I don't know alot but kinda sounds like a stroke. xoxoxo
  • KIM JOHNSONKIM JOHNSON NUTLEYMember Posts: 387
    edited 31 January, 2010
    Thank you all so much. I am so heartbroken.
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 31 January, 2010
    It sounds like that to me too. Hopefully she will start to feel better. I can understand your pain & feeling so helpless...been there with a pet. All I can really say is sending purrs & prayers that she will start to feel better. PLase let us know how things are.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 31 January, 2010
    The only thing I could thing to add is to check very carefull to see if she might have been playing with a spider or ::o centipede and got bitten, although I'm pretty sure it would be swollen or show somewhere. (some iof these things do have neurotoxins). I'm purring for you; this is so sad when your cats are so well cared for.
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 January, 2010
    Oh my, very sad indeed. I put you on The Get Well Purr List and hope you improve. purrs, Hazel Lucy
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 31 January, 2010
    Oh Maggie May, we send MASSIVE amounts of purrs and pryaers that you feel better. Our meowmy understands how much it hurts when one of our furbabies is sick. Please keep us posted. Hugs, The New Orleans Kitties
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 31 January, 2010
    Hi Maggie May, I\'m so sorry to hear that you are so sick. I have been in a very similar situation and I know how heart-breaking it is. Don\'t give up hope! In September, Leo suddenly stopped jumping and going up the stairs. Within 5 days, he could no longer stand or walk and I thought I was losing him. He saw numerous vets over that time and none of them knew what was wrong. X-rays, blood tests, etc., everything came back normal. On the 5th day, I requested a referral to veterinary neurologist. Leo was seen the following day. The neurologist was wonderful. He planned to do an MRI but first did a spinal tap and electro-nerve diagnostic testing. He was able to make the diagnosis with that testing and did not need to do the MRI. Leo was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy- the messages from his brain were not getting to the nerves in his legs. Leo wasn\'t in pain, he just couldn\'t use his legs. Within 24 hours of the diagnosis and prescription medication (prednisolone), Leo was able to stand and walk a few feet. Within a week, he was 75% recovered. Now, 4 months later, he is off all medication and 98% recovered. They don\'t know for sure what caused it (possibly a side effect from vaccinations) but the neurologist says he sees 1-2 cases in kitties every year. Kitties with diabetes and hypothyroidism can also develop peripheral neuropathy. I don\'t know if this is the condition that Maggie May has but if there is a neurologist in your area, I would definitely try to get Maggie in there. Even if you elect not to have the MRI or other testing done (I know it\'s really expensive), the neurologist may have more ideas on what is going on. The consult with the neurologist was $110 and was definitely worth it for Leo. There are a couple other kitties on Catster who have had similar neurological problems which came on suddenly without an identifiable cause- it\'s very scary. If I remember correctly, other kitties also found a neurologist to be the most helpful in identifying and helping their kitties. If you are interested in the names of the diagnostic test conducted by Leo\'s neurologist, let me know. Please keep us updated. Sending purrs for Maggie May and for her family. |:|
  • kristina bkristina b Member Posts: 169
    edited 31 January, 2010
    Maggie May - You have 6calico prayers & 1human prayer on their way to you. Good luck and better to best health to you.
    edited 31 January, 2010
    Leo makes sense...I was also thinking could she have jumped off the bed or something & pinched a nerve? Once it gets inflamed, it can affect the legs. I had a dog that did that, and it eventually got better. We are so very hoping that this will turn out something fixable. I would check into what Leo said definitely. Sending more purrs.
  • Tracy OsbornTracy Osborn TigerMember Posts: 77
    edited 2 February, 2010
    How is Maggie may feeling?
    edited 2 February, 2010
    Thank you all so much! I am such a good girl & my mom & dad have been taking such good care of me. Maggie's mom here for the update... She is on Prednisone now. She is improving, but very slowly. That one front leg is curled a little & I think she may have to learn to walk without it. She's chubby, so that's another issue why she's having trouble getting up. Our MAJOR problem is that she will not go to the bathroom! We've tried everything! The vet had to expel her bladder once & we got lucky yesterday because she tinkled in her carrier. This little girly girl was so embarrassed by it that she hid her face the entire way to the vet. The vet said that he thinks she is holding it because she is a very clean cat. If anyone has any advice on what to do, please tell us. I'm praying the carrier will allow her to tinkle again! The vet squeezes her bladder & I am sure it hurts!
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 2 February, 2010
    I wonder if she is having difficulty getting into the litter box. You try putting down some newspaper with some litter sprinkled over the top to see if she'll use that. It's hard to say what may be going on. consulting with a neurologist may prove beneficial, even without an MRI. Maybe I missed it but did they do bloodwork and take xrays of the area? If not those things would be recommended. You could wait a few days and see if the Pred continues to help or consult w/ neuro asap. Has the vet ruled out polyarthritis as a possible cause? Purring for you!!!!!
  • Alice KehmAlice Kehm LenhartsvilleMember Posts: 159
    edited 2 February, 2010
    Instead of paper why not try those puppy pads that are out in the market . This way you don't have to worry about the floor and it will absorb fast for her so that she will still fell clean .
    edited 2 February, 2010
    Great ideas! We made her a small litter box out of one of my old cookie sheets (obviously never will use that again!:-/) We put a liner around it & litter on top...she will push off of it with her back legs when we lay her in it. I even got a smaller litter pan, but she tried to jump out of it today. If she had more strength in those front legs, she'd feel so much better because I can tell she's getting crabby from laying down all day. She keeps trying to get up. We just brought her in the carrier to the vet & got one block from our house & she peed! So, we turned around and saved $105! The issue I'm worried about is she hasn't pooed yet!:-O The vet said it will happen, but it's been since Saturday. She's not straining. Hunter, she never had xrays..they said it would be a waste of money because she didn't break anything & they don't show soft tissue. I think its worth a shot to get them! Money is the issue & I think we need to see a neurologist! I just have to convince my husband.
    edited 2 February, 2010
    Maggie May, I will pmail you the names of the electro-physiological tests the neurologist did on Leo. One thing that I forgot to mention earlier was that the peripheral neuropathy also affected Leo's anal muscles. The messages from his brain were not getting to the nerves in his bottom (or the nerves in his legs) and he was unable to poop on his own. Also, because his legs were so weak, it was very difficult for him to maintain a peeing or pooping position in the litterbox; he was so tired from just getting in the position that he was unable to fully push bowel movements out. Again, I don't know if Maggie May has the same condition but it is possible that the neurological things going on might be affecting nerves and muscles in other areas besides her legs/paws. The 3 regular vets that saw Leo did not realize this but the neurologist realized it immediately. Also, the 3 regular vets and I only noticed the problems with Leo's back legs. It was the neurologist, through examination and then testing, who realized that Leo's **** and front legs were also affected by the condition. Sometimes it takes a very specialized vet to see the whole picture with unusual cases like this. I know the tests are very expensive but I think that it might save you money in the long run as you're more likely to get an accurate diagnosis rather than having to bring Maggie back and forth to the vet. Sending big purrs! Please keep us updated!
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 2 February, 2010
    Could you try supporting her body with a towell looped under her body so that she is able to stand up and then try putting her in the litter box or helping her walk around. I've heard people do that with cats that have had major surgery on the legs or have lost the use of their back legs in an accident so it may work for you too. If she can stand up and kick at the litter maybe she'll be willing to use the litter box again.
    edited 2 February, 2010
    Great idea, Freckles! The towel support might really help. Maggie May, the testing Leo had at the neurologist included: Electromyography (EMG) Nerve conduction velocity studies (NCVS) Spinal tap and spinal fluid analysis First, two neurologists examined him and then told me what they thought was wrong with him in order from most likely to least likely, including treatments and future outcomes. That cost $110. They then did the above testing which was appx. $1500. Luckily, they were able to confirm the diagnosis with those tests and the MRI was not needed. After that, I got his medication and checked in with them by phone every week for 4 months. They did not charge for that and only charged $50 for one follow up office visit. They were wonderful. Maybe you could call a neurologist and get pricing. They may also be willing to work out a payment plan or help with other ideas for financial resources. With the experience I had, I truly felt the neurologist\'s priority was to help Leo. I hope that is the same experience you will have. Sending big, big purrs. Hang in there! It sounds like she is starting to get better! |:|
    edited 3 February, 2010
    I saw somewhere - I have to find it, I think it was on this site somewhere about places that help funding for vet care in special circumstances. I will try & find it, this defi is a special circumstance. The more I read about Leo, it suire seems like that is what is happenieng to Maggie May. sending purrs, and I will try & find that link quickly
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 3 February, 2010
    This is Delyte. You should be giving Maggie something to soften her stools. if things are not working well it will harden up in there. Is she getting enough fluids? Did they give her any subq fluids? That seems to make many cats feel better. Is there any possibility of you helping her to exercise the affected leg? Does it hurt her for anyone to touch it? Poor kitty, such a frightening thing to happen, and if you don't understand what is happening, she is even more confused than you. We are purring for her so hard! GIANT PURRS!! |:|
    edited 3 February, 2010
    Well, she is making progress! My husband has been home with her since he's been slow with work & has been nursing her back to health. This morning the garbage truck pulled up in front of the house. Usually the cats hear them & dash upstairs. So, my husband heard something in the other room & there was Maggie gimping on 3 legs and almost made it up two stairs! OMG! He was shocked & now worried that she might hurt herself! So, a few hours go by after he laid her back down in her bed & he heard some meows from her calling him. The little cookie tray with litter was next to her & she's such a good cat that she made her butt on the pan & pooed! ;c; What a sweet cat. All these issues & she never once made a mess. She's a girly girl! So, my husband moved her from room to room with him today. He said she actually made it into the real litter box & pooed again! %:D% So, she's doing much better. This paw is concerning us though. It's bent at the joint(like our wrist). I don't want her to break it by putting pressure on it from walking. I really wish I knew what caused this. She seems so crooked to me when she walks. I hope that this all passes. We had to drive with her in the carrier again to get her to pee! I do know that we need to be very careful when we aren't home. She never was a jumper before, but I don't want her anywhere near stairs. I guess this is what the vet meant by "having a lifestyle change". I looked into buying a big dog crate made out of canvas, but they were $200 and can cats even stay in them?
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 3 February, 2010
    We are all purring very hard for you! I am glad to see things seem to be getting a bit better. My Step Son had a stroke when he was 16 and his right hand is still curled a bit. Though he is good other wise. He is now 23 years old. Before your last update I was going to ask you about ticks, because here in Florida some ticks cause paralysis. I saw a very small dog with a very small tick that could not move at all. The rescue Lady and I found it in-between his toes. We removed it and the dog was back to normal over night! But this does NOT sound like the same thing at all. Good Luck and please keep us all updated! |:| and head butts
    edited 4 February, 2010
    Thank you all for caring so much! Maggie is ok, not great, but OK. She's eating & drinking & even groomed her face bit today which are good signs. I bought her this fleece dog bed & she is so comfy that she'll get up to use the litter box & then go back in it. Watching her walk is so sad.She is all wobly & tips over after a few steps. She is stepping down on her right wrist bent. That scares me because it seems she has no feeling in that wrist still. It doesn't feel cold to me, but looks skinnier than the others. What could have happened to her?
  • Peggy DalonPeggy Dalon TylertownMember Posts: 48
    edited 4 February, 2010
    Dear Maggie, I s ure hope that you get better soon. My sister Patches was like that. We had to put her down unfortunately. We were unable to afford a neurologist at the time. And we didn't know that there were organizaions out there to help people with animals. Our vet had said that it was something neuro wrong with our Patches too. Please tell your mom & dad, if they can do it, to take you to the neurologist. I hope that they find out what is wrong with you and can make you better to. My whole family is sending you get well purrs.
    edited 4 February, 2010
    Too bad we can not set up a collection for Kitties like this. I would give $1.00 and if a lot of other Kitties did the same.. yeah Please keep us updated as time will tell.
    edited 5 February, 2010
    We canceled or Super Bowl Party this weekend & its pretty funny how you mentioned the $1 donation thing....our friends are very quick to give $25 for a football pool so they can win $ themselves. We give presents all year round to their kids(we don't have any ourselves). They all know the situation with Maggie & not one person even said, lets make a small collection for them since they are always giving to us. I swear this is why I like animals more than people sometimes! Maggie is walking all over the place, but more having trouble because that one leg is shorter because she walks on her wrist. If she was thinner, I think it would be easier on her. We have tried for years to get her weight down..diet food, holistic food. Nothing has helped her. We got her down to 14lbs...at one point she was 16, but we can't get her down more than that,
  • Tracy OsbornTracy Osborn TigerMember Posts: 77
    edited 5 February, 2010
    I'm with you about liking animals sometimes more than people. They don't judge, they love you unconditionally and they don't talk back! :) Seriously though if you do have the opportunity to take Maggie May to the neurologist at least you could probably get some answers. I am glad to know she is walking even though it's hard on her. She's beautiful.....and that rare red tabby female....you don't see too many of those! George is fascinated! :) Purring for Maggie's speedy recovery!
    edited 5 February, 2010
    George, Maggie is smitten too..I think she has a crush! :) She's just a little embarrassed because she can't walk to well yet.:r She's really coming along. I did read somewhere that depending on where the nerve damage is that she could walk normal again, but it may take months. She really is attached to me. When I come home from work, I open the door(we have her in her own room when we aren't home so she doesn't get hurt by the boys or the stairs) and she gets up & hobbles right to me. My husband said, "She doesn't do that for me!" Well, she truly is a Mama's girl. I just want her to feel ok. It really looks like she isn't in pain. She even groomed herself today a little. I just keep praying. She is really a good girl.
    edited 5 February, 2010
    Miss Maggie, We are so glad things are getting better and better every day!~a~
    edited 5 February, 2010
    Glad to hear that Maggie May is feeling better! How long has she been on the prednisone? Purrs that she continues to improve!