Kitty Koffee Korner

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 7 March, 2010
    Wait, we have some suggestions for Catster too! Where did you see that?
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 7 March, 2010
    Where is that Harvey and Julian??? MOL :-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 7 March, 2010
    Bumpurr, I found it - there's a whole thread! Scroll down, under Catster Central there's a thread called "What I Love About Catster" and it says you can put suggestions there. I put mine....
    edited 7 March, 2010
    Thanks BK! Gee, what do I want, hmmmm....... will have to think about that. :D OK, our koffee klub is going nowhere, so I guess back to the show stuff, mol. Believe it was Julian who asked. Both kittens go into Bumpurr's very large cat carrier, I also have 2 very large totes, one of which, is just their cage curtains and cage decorations, plus, my folding table, and my best bud, my cart. I also bring a little bag, of meds, just in case, a briefcase with all their medical records in it, and a portable cat box, got it at the dollor store, its intended purpose is for who knows what, but its the size of a cake pan, very very deep, and has a closeable lid on it, very handy dandy for traveling, the cat litter doesn;t spill, and it fits in the show cage, and you can put the top on it, when little kittens would rather sleep in it. In the other tote, is their grooming stuff, which Harvey and Linus both know, with LH cats, is a......lot. I bring extra everything, and stuff, for just in case. Your 6 hrs from home, and going to be there 2 days, you want to be prepared, learned this from years of showing horses. I got alot of stuff, but I am a master at getting it all on the cart, everything always goes on, in same order, and always use bungy cords. Cowboy was in 5th place in his Region, when my bf died back in May, had to take a few months off to take care of stuff, he fell pretty far. Got him back on the circuit, and he shot back up to 6th place. Then they cut my hours at work, so have not been out to a show since Nov. He has fell in the ranks, held at 9th for quite awhile, last weekend, he got passed again. Now he is sitting in 10th place. I don't know if he can hold on, until the end of the season, or if I can even get him back out this season. Hopefully, he will stay in the Top 10. OK Harvey and Julian, ya can come back now, mol, we are back to the show stuff, mol, mol, mol. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Tanja EdenTanja Eden SacramentoMember Posts: 137
    edited 8 March, 2010
    Yes, yes, mew, mew, I am here - just have been to 2-days show.... was a tough one, and I only made 4 finals and Santana made 2 finals... oh well, it's "bloody bath" show season now, MOL:). Have to work a little, will write a little later
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 10 March, 2010
    Oh, yes, this is almost the end of the show season, and things start getting competitive. Harvey was the #1 Premier in May (Japan region). He ended up being #17 (mainly because of his nasty attitude toward the judges, MOL). But I'd spent SO much money putting him in shows that I wasn't going to quit. I spent a good portion of my retirement savings to make him a Regional Winner. I didn't want to lose that money, and things got pretty hairy at the end. But #17 out of 25 is not bad. I would have been satisfied with #25. Now he's retired and leading a life of leisure. No more show biz for Harvey...MOL. :))
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 11 March, 2010
    Day-time LLS hmm? Sounds furry interesting. Phew, reading about all that you guys take to shows makes my Mistress (what I call my human) wiped out! I'm glad I'm a homebody! Did I see someone was from Tokyo? Mistress has never been herself, but her Mom is a flight attendant and spends some time there. One time she asked her mom if she's seen any kitties in coffeehouses :)) She said she has. My sisfur Squeakers (now at the Rainbow Bridge) said that some kitties tried to start a thread called The Early Early Show once! :)) *headbonks and cheekrubs*
    edited 12 March, 2010
    Yes, my gang and I are from Tokyo, although the human involved is American. We do have "cat coffehouses," which are just what they sound like--coffeehouses with cats for the guests to coo over and cuddle (if the cats feel like it). PETA would probably object (they object to everything), but it's still hard to find rental housing in Japan which allows you to keep cats. So cat fans come to these coffee shops and get their cat fix. By the way, the people who run these kinds of shops need to get a license, so they are not fly by nights.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 12 March, 2010
    Hey Harvery, Hi Bumpurr and other CATSTER members who know us (The New Orleans Kitties). I am at work (it is 4:00 pm here in the suburbs of New Orleans, but I get off work at 4:30 YAY!!!! Harvey, CATSTER time is Pacific Standard (or after this weekend Daylight Savings Time).....so right now in Los Angeles it is a little after 2:00 pm). I am owned by five indoor cats Emma Barrett, Louis Armstrong, Pete Fountain, Charmaine Neville and Al Hirt. Buddy Bolden, who is also on CATSTER actually belongs to someone in my neighborhood. He just comes over to eat and occasionally spends the night. None of mine are show cats, but I enjoy reading about Harvey and Bumpurr and their experiences at cat shows. The Angel Kitties that I have made pages for are the ones I lost when Hurricane Katrina put 12 feet of water inside the house. Seems like winter is finally over down here, temps went up into the 70's today. Course, come July, August and September I will be wishing for some of that cold weather. See ya'll around..... The New Orleans Kitties
    edited 12 March, 2010
    Welcome Sandy and the New Orleans Kitties!! :-h:-h:-h The Late Late show is way past my bedtime, mol, so wanted to create a koffee klub for kitties during the day, or just getting out of work. Well..........., that, and Harvey, Julian and I kinda hijacked alot of threads, so we decided to start our own klub, mol. :)):)):)):)):)):)) Other kitties might have started other similiar clubs, but ours is going to work, because Harvey and I, kinda....... don't shut up, mol, mol, mol. :-O We were in another division, but Catster moved us here, which is cool, so now kitties can take their pick, the Late Late show, or the daytime version....... All My Kittens. :)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)) We are kinda the Conan O'Brien of the late show, mol, mol, mol. Hey, we need to get guest stars or guest speakers, mol, who wants to be in charge of that? I nominate Harvey. =;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=; We can discuss any subject you want to. So spread the word, all kitties are welome, even the Late Late show kitties, mol, and they have way cool stuff to eat and drink in there, hmm......... maybe they will bring some of their great food over here, mol, mol, mol. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    edited 12 March, 2010
    I don't have a TV and don't live in the U.S., so I didn't even know of Conan O'Brien's existence until recently. I've been doing a lot of reading various online media sources (The New York Times, Time, Newsweek, various TV networks) and watching YouTube and other video sites. I came upon Conan O'Brien and found him fascinating--although a bit too hyper. I wish I could have known of him sooner. What is next for CO'B? Something interesting, I'm sure.
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 12 March, 2010
    Hey there! Thanks for the invite Bumpurr! We have 4 indoor only kitties at our house all are rescues...DeeJay, Mini Dee, Munchie & Mercedes (mommy bottle fed Cedes). Right now we have 3 of us on antibiotics...so every day is an adventure. DeeJay is naughty and we can no longer get pills into her so she is getting an injection every 3 days for pain and every 5 days for antibiotic the stinker. Mini Dee has just a few more days left, and then Munchie just started yesterday....Mom is so ready for us all to be better. Mommy works full time but usually has her laptop at work as she is the manager and uses it for research and form development etc....so often times she's online during the days. Mommy would probably have about 20 cats if daddy would let her. She has a soft spot for kitties :) She has a special talent for raising bottle fed babies...a couple years ago she had 11 babies at ones from 3 different litters...all lived..boy was daddy glad when that was over...lack of sleep! Anyways just wanted to poke our heads in and say :-h
    edited 13 March, 2010
    Munchie Welcome!! :-h:-h:-h:-h So glad you joined our group! :D Harvey's mommy is an American, but lives in Japan, kinda cool to learn about other countries and cultures. =; That is so cool, you bottle fed the little babies, that is something I have never done, huge applause to you, for helping the little babies.=D>=D>=D>=D>=D> Daddy sounds pretty cool, my bf was too, he loved the cats, he passed back in May, we had been together 12 years. He worked nights, I worked days, came home, thought he was sleeping, he wasn't. I like to feel he is watching over me and the kitties he loved. One kitten taught himself to fetch, he just brought me his squishy ball one day and I threw it, and he brought it back, now its an everyday ritual, before work. Its the only toy he will fetch. I tell him, his daddy would of been proud of him.
  • Cass DoolittleCass Doolittle FlandersMember Posts: 341
    edited 13 March, 2010
    Koffee Korner? Everybody knows that Norwegians love coffee! I saw Bumpurr\'s invite today and would love to be part of the conversation. Torbjorn (Bear) is about to start his cat show career. He\'s entered in open at the end of March. I just want to get him his ribbons so he can enter for his premiership when the new season opens in May (sorry if I get the jargon wrong -- I\'m really a novice at this). But Bear is our only show cat, and we\'re showing him only because showing a cat is on my bucket list and because we\'d like to help get a championship dam award for his wonderful breeder. Any show tips would be most welcome. I\'ve bottle-fed babies, too. When I was running a small farm with a greenhouse, one of my employees showed up one day with three tiny kittens, eyes not open, whose mother had been hit by a car. We bottle-fed them all day, she took them home at night. We massaged their little bellies to get them to poop. We introduced them to wet food (messy!). I found homes for two of them in the city, where we sold produce at farmer\'s markets, and my employee kept one. That cat, who had been transported by car to and from the greenhouse every day, loved to travel by motor vehicle. Once she hitchhiked to a town 20 miles away sitting atop the spare tire stowed under the family pickup truck. We also have a purebred Ragdoll (but without papers). And our other three cats are shelter/farm cats. Marvelous creatures, all of them. Love to talk cats, over coffee or over the Internet.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 13 March, 2010
    Thanks for the welcome Bumpurr, but my name is Faye....we had chatted in a paw mail about our mutual interest in history, specificallyt the American Civil War. Look forward to chatting with the group. It was a BEAUTIFUL day today in the New Orleans area, warm and sunny.....which is nice after our cold, rainy winter. Faye and The New Orleans Kitties
    edited 14 March, 2010
    Bear--I show with the CFA in Japan, and have never had a problem having my cats going from "Open" status to "Premier" or "Champion" status in a six-ring or eight-ring show (you only need those six ribbons). It all depends on the competitors. My cats are not superb. Harvey has both good and bad points. Elise is my best show cat--she meets the breed standards and has a winning personality, but is a female, which in the Maine Coon world in Japan makes it almost impossible to become a Grand Champion. If she were being shown in the U.S., I suspect that she would do better. I spent almost every weekend and oodles of money to make Harvey a Regional ( = National) Winner, but my next goal is to have a Grand Champion (which means an intact cat). Sigh...
    edited 14 March, 2010
    Welcome Bear! :-h So glad you joined our little group. You are in Region 1, same as me, and same as Kyande. You are probably talking about the Middletown NY show, and altho I usually go every year, won't be able to go, as they have cut our hrs at work. Haven't been out since Nov, and Cowboy is hanging in at 10th, hopefully he can hold out for the next month and a half. Would be glad to help you, as would the others, with any show questions. I believe Kyande is going to the Middletown show, you will have to make arrangements to hook up with her, she would be glad to help you, and we want to hear all about the show. And no opening the bottle, until I get there, mol. As far as the breed stuff, I know minimal, I show HHP, but Harvey, Elsie, Julian and Kyande can help guide you regarding the Grand stuff, and the stratagy, which is huge, you have to know this, we even have it in HHP, and I am a master at it. How ironic, at the Middletown show last year, was benched next to a Norweigan, man was from CA, had a championship cat, just beautiful, but had not made any finals yet, was pretty bummed about it. He finally made some finals on Sun, he was so excited. I don't know any Norweigan people, so can't help you, with what to expect from your group in Reg 1, but there is usually not alot of them at shows. Now if it was Maine Coon, I could tell you all about, all of them, mol. Also, how ironic, that picture of Bumpurr was taken at Middletown, for his picture of the Top 10 cats last season. He finished 6th. So what do you need to know? I excell at washing/grooming LH's, and am a master at stragey. :D Faye! Could not remember who it was, mol. Gotta get them dang yankee carpet baggers, out, of the south, mol, mol, mol. And I do know, where the gold is buried, the south is gonna rise again, mol. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Tanja EdenTanja Eden SacramentoMember Posts: 137
    edited 15 March, 2010
    So glad that many kitties joined our company, mew to everybody!.;c; =; My brudder Santana and me has just returned from our country residence (Daddy's house whose mewma calls "boyfriend"). Had lots of fun running Daddy's garage and spending time on the deck (in our show tent). Weather was wonderful! On Monday Santana tried to mount me and I scratched his eye:-O. Mewma had to take him to kitty's doctor but he seems to be fine and doctor didn't find any scratch... Today Santana again tries to mount me but this time mema trimmed my nails... although mewma still worries a lot... We both had a spa treatment tonight and now smell like shampoo not like papa's garage, MOL
    edited 15 March, 2010
    OK, so how many, forgot, to change "all" the clocks, one hour ahead, go ahead, raise your little paws. :-O Bumpurr raises his little paw. :)) The cable clock and the computer clock, all change by themselfs, never gave a thought to the alarm clock.........sigh. Smokey has all the bears on the bed, which she has to kneed, all of them, every night, all pushed against the clock, so you can't really, even see the time. So last night, just pushed the alarm button down. Didn't get much sleep last night, sherriffs helicopter flying around, low, very very loud, police with sirens going all night, must be looking for someone or had a rescue, don't know. Kept waking me up. Woke up this morn, very little sleep, to Bumpurr incessantly pulling my hair with his paw. Told him its not time to get up yet, the alarm hasn't gone off yet. He is insistant, now pulling my hair with his teeth. Geez Bumpurr, well what the heck time is it? Look at the cable clock, its like 8;00, oh crap...... like way over slept. So a special thank you to Bumpurr, for waking his mommy up, most likely, cause he knew it was past his feeding time, mol, or his mommy would still be sleeping, mol. =D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D> Talked to one of my cat friends today, they were away at a show, her mother stayed at the house, to take care of her other cats, changed all the clocks, except......... you gotta it, the alarm clock. Her husband was supposed to be at work at 9;00, they woke up at 9;00, well, the kitties woke them up, feed us mommy and daddy. So I guess I wasn;t the only one, mol, mol, mol. So what time change adventures, do you other kitties have to share. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Barbara HansonBarbara Hanson Member Posts: 1,232
    edited 27 March, 2010
    Hi Bumpurr and effuryone else! Should this thread become a group...might be fun. We have a favor to ask. A furiend of ours named Rita Wood entered one of her cats named Ace in a contest and Ace needs votes... http://www.bissell.com/mvp_PetDetail.aspx?id=8590161384 http://www.gotcats.org/sanctuary.html Rita runs The Purrever Ranch and quite literally goes to the Memphis area shelters and rescues the elderly and unruly cats. When you see Ace\'s story...you will understand why I thought of this thread. So many kitties that post here ...have helped other cats...THANKS!!
    edited 29 March, 2010
    Bumpurr, sorry I got distracted and didn\'t get back to this threat before the Middletown show. Would certainly have looked up Kandye. Mom watched the HHP finals, \'cause it\'s her favorite. I had no trouble getting my six ribbons -- end of the season, few Opens entered. But Mom could sure use some grooming advice! One of the judges gave her a few tips. Seems Mom\'s first error was in not getting my dense coat wet enough. Judge said Wegies have to be \"floated,\" meaning immersed to the neck -- spray wand or pouring water out of a cup is not gonna cut it. Live and learn. But we\'re doing the Easton, Pa., show in a few weeks, so any advice will be gratefully accepted!
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 March, 2010
    Immersed to the neck???::o Isn\'t that called \"drowning\"? ::o
    edited 30 March, 2010
    Yikes! I hope not!
    edited 4 April, 2010
    Immersed to the neck, is a new one on me, lol, never heard a judge or exhibitor say that before. Did he/she tell you why, they felt you did not get his coat wet enough? What is it they saw, that they felt this way? Not getting all the soap residue out, is a common one with LH cats, as is the coat still being greasy. What did they tell you was wrong with him, before they told you to immerse him up to the neck? Most of us only have the sink to wash in, lol, and Bumpurr is so big, I have to put his front end, in the other side, to do his back end. And you do have to rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse somemore, so the judge is right in that respect. If you only have the wand to use, you just have to spend alot alot more time, wetting down the coat, and rinsing all the shampoo residue out. Maine Coon and Ragdoll coats are very dense too, and we have to spend alot of time, just wetting them down, the first time. If you think you got all the grease out, my best guess, is you didn't get all the shampoo residue out, and don't worry about that, it is a very common mistake made by beginners, we all had to learn that at some point in time. I can help you with either one, but I have to know what the coat issue is first. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    edited 6 April, 2010
    I\'m guessing both -- not getting him adequately degreased and not getting all the soap out. Sunday we did another bath, not ahead of a show, just practicing. I got a deeper Rubbermaid tub that I could fill at a greater depth than my kitchen sink, filled it with warm water and immersed him to the neck. He seemed to tolerate that better than the spray wand. Then I put him on a towel on the counter and lathered him up with Dawn dishwashing liquid. Then back into the tub, followed by a rinsing with the spray wand in the sink. I followed that with another shampoo with Eqyss pet shampoo, and another loooong rinse with the spray wand. And then I used Eqyss conditioner, about a tablespoon diluted in a pint of warm water. Another looong rinse. I intended to use a vinegar rinse after the Eqyss shampoo but forgot. I slicked off as much water as I could with my hands, then towel-dried with warm towels from the drier. Then I completely blow-dried him, using only my fingers to fluff up the fur. Took almost two hours. He looked pretty good, I have to say -- the white britches and belly hair were very fluffy. The mane and ruff seemed a little floppy (too much conditioner?). His tail was magnificent, but the fur on the back and hindquarters, while silky and smooth, didn\'t seem to have much lift. Still too much grease? The judge said the bath needed to be done weekly during the show season whether the cat was being shown that weekend or not, to prevent buildup of oils. That sound right to you?
    edited 6 April, 2010
    Well, can you believe it, I just spent an hour, typing out very detailed instructions, and the post is who knows where, lost in Casterland somewhere, kinda makes me mad, mol, oh well, gotta go watch Lost, will try again tomorrow. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
    edited 13 April, 2010
    Yep, Bumpurr -- that has happened to all of us at one time or another. It\'s always a good idea, when creating a long post, to type and save it in your computer\'s word processing program, then copy and paste it in the Catster forums. Those Caster fleas LOVE to chew on long posts!!! :n:
    edited 14 April, 2010
    MOL :)) When I posted it, and it wanted me to log in again, I kinda figured, I was SOL, mol. :-O I think your right, I think because it was so long. I think if I anticipate another long one, with detailed instructions, gonna post it in bits, ha ha ha, that will fix those catster fleas, mol, mol. I don't have a word processing system, with as much stuff as this computer does have, you would think it would have it. :D Haven't been on Farmville in awhile, sometimes I just need a break from it, mol, and my farm is a mess, and now just found out you can buy a dog, for $300,000. Best be a championship show dog for that price, mol. :-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h
    edited 26 April, 2010
    Guess I got the recipe right this time. Three judges said Bear was "groomed to perfection." Still, he kept losing first in premier to a red tabby Persian who was some kind of wonderful. But he got 8th best cat in the longhair premier specialty ring (beating five GPR entries in the process) and got a lot of pretty rosettes. We all had a good time and Bear got some roasted chicken on the way home, so he was a happy cat.
    edited 26 April, 2010
    Congratulations!!! ~a~%:D%=D>~a~%:D%=D>~a~%:D%=D> I bet the best part for Bear was the roasted chicken! ;):))